Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Hyundai Sonata Official Thread (Pricing announced)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 01:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Sadly, you know America doesn't care about wagons.

No IS wagon this time around. No C-Klasse wagon. No Mazda6 wagon.

People who want wagons buy Subarus or European brands like BMW, Volvo, or VW. Everyone else seems to struggle with maintaining a wagon in their lineup.

I hate Acura for making the decisions they've made and taking the directions they've taken. Why no manual with the TSX V6?

The TSX Sportwagon would be on my list too, just for the fact that it's a nice wagon, and that's what sets it apart, whereas the TSX just isn't special.

I hope Acura doesn't make another dumb powertrain move by only bringing the TSX Sportwagon here with only one lame option like 4-clyinder/auto/AWD.

I'd probably prefer an Outback anyway!
The Outback, and its huge success over the years (I myself own one) shows that Americans will spring for wagons, especially AWD ones, if they are done well. Other examples of fairly popular wagons in the American market include the Volvo XC-70, the Subaru Impreza Sportwagon, Audi Avants, and the new Toyota Venza. Americans DO seem to like car-based wagons with high ground clearance for deep snow.

Several times, I've suggested to Hyundai that they do a Sonata-based wagon, but, outside of the Tuscon and Santa Fe (both of which are SUV's, not true AWD wagons), They haven't seen fit to do so. But...now that Toyota and Honda have followed Subaru into the mid-sized hatchback/wagon/AWD category, perhaps (?) the Sonata will too, next year or for the next re-design.
Old 02-02-10, 02:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm afraid, though, that they may be at or just past their peak. They are starting to get away from the models that DID sell like hotcakes.

I do, IF they bring the TSX Sportwagon into the American market.....without the Crosstour's awkward looks. Hyundai should have done a Sonata wagon/hatchback years ago (perhaps with AWD)...they still haven't gotten around to it, even with the all-new 2011 model. However, it can be argued that the Sonata has still sold well even without a wagon version.

The TSX Sportwagon, if it comes here, will (probably) be high on my next-car shopping-list....within the Top 5.
you would hate TSX Sportwagon actually... not much space at the back, your head hits the roofliner, and small trunk compared to others... it is lifestyle wagon.
Old 02-02-10, 03:24 PM
LexFather

Cts wagon for me

Old 02-02-10, 04:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Cts wagon for me
Less of a dull wagon for sure.
Old 02-02-10, 06:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
I sat on the back seat and there were plenty of leg room for me. i honestly thought it was bigger than the current gen sonata. i'm 6ft 1 and plenty of head room too. but maybe those of you who are over 6ft 4 might feel slightly cramped in the head room in the back. i don't know.
How far back or forward were the front seats positioned? I am almost 6'3 and I find even the Camry rear seat to be a little tight when the front seats are moved back. It's also nice the Camry has reclining rear seats.

new sonata doesn't offer v6 so it might not beat last gen sonata. but i think it will be close. 120k-150k a year is doable IMO.
Are you implying you agree that the lack of a V6 will hurt sales? You've made multiple posts in other threads saying the lack of a V6 is no big deal since a turbo 4 will make up for it. Do you still feel that way?

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I for the most part agree with your observations above, as minor as they are in reality. Most of above will be noticed and discussed by people on the internet as usual and not by the actual buyers that drive the market for this car. Since the car is for the most part similar in size to the old car, the question still remains as to how they will perceive or like the new styling.
What exactly do you mean by that? The car is a bit longer and wider than the old Sonata, but has less interior space. Front seat space is very good, but rear seat space is not.

Are you saying that actual buyers or interested customers won't notice the poor rear seating space, rear seat ingress/egress, and rear/side vision?

On the contrary, many actual buyers in the midsize sedan market have totally different requirements and criteria they look at. Most of what enthusiasts discuss about cars on the internet has almost zero relevance to actual buyers in the midsize sedan market. Only a very small minority of midsize sedan buyers place 0-60, slalom handling times, and styling as top priorities.

This car is going to sell like hotcakes. Not only does the car seem fantastic, Hyundai marketing/advertising is on a roll.

I see no reason to buy a TSX over this.
This car doesn't compete with the TSX, and I don't see the two being really cross-shopped .

The most direct competition for the TSX right now seems to be the Lexus HS, or the BMW 1 Series.

I still doubt that this car will sell that much better than the current model. I see max annual US sales of 150K for the new Sonata, and it could be as low as 100-120K annual sales.

You have to keep in mind we need to look at this car from the perspective of a midsize sedan buyer, not an enthusiast in order to get an accurate picture.

Let's say for example if you had a family with 2 kids in their early teens and were looking for a family sedan. Would you honestly buy this car over the competition? I probably wouldn't, due to the tight rear seat spacing.
Old 02-02-10, 06:37 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

What exactly do you mean by that? The car is a bit longer and wider than the old Sonata, but has less interior space. Front seat space is very good, but rear seat space is not.

Are you saying that actual buyers or interested customers won't notice the poor rear seating space, rear seat ingress/egress, and rear/side vision?

On the contrary, many actual buyers in the midsize sedan market have totally different requirements and criteria they look at. Most of what enthusiasts discuss about cars on the internet has almost zero relevance to actual buyers in the midsize sedan market. Only a very small minority of midsize sedan buyers place 0-60, slalom handling times, and styling as top priorities.

I mean exactly what I said, the differences in rear seating space, rear seat ingress/egress and rear/side vision were minor when I saw it earlier in January at SJ car show. Nobody (including me) was talking about 0-60, slalom handling times and other specs favored by enthusiasts. And regarding styling, many in the automotive industry know how important styling is, that's obvious to most of us (in order to sell cars to both enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts).

Looks can be deceiving. This car has 120 cubic feet of interior volume, class leading and is EPA designated as a large car. Even the trunk is bigger than Accord and Camry.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-02-10 at 07:05 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-02-10, 07:22 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I mean exactly what I said, the differences in rear seating space, rear seat ingress/egress and rear/side vision were minor when I saw it earlier in January at SJ car show. Nobody (including me) was talking about 0-60, slalom handling times and other specs favored by enthusiasts. And regarding styling, many in the automotive industry know how important styling is, that's obvious to most of us (in order to sell cars to both enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts).

Looks can be deceiving. This car has 120 cubic feet of interior volume, class leading and is EPA designated as a large car. Even the trunk is bigger than Accord and Camry.
Minor compared to what? Earlier in this thread I posted the rear seat legroom numbers for different competitors in the segment. The Sonata has 3-4 inches less rear legroom compared to the class leaders in rear legroom. 3-4 inches is quite significant. If you put a Camry side-by-side with the Sonata and sat in both rear areas you would find a noticeable difference.

We shall see in the coming months how the market reacts to this new Sonata.

Styling is not that important in many segments. Enthusiasts put way too much importance and emphasis on strong and aggressive styling.

If you mean styling is important in terms of it not being offensive or polarizing, I agree in that context.

Styling in the midsize sedan segment should not be offensive or polarizing.

Not everything needs to be styled like a coupe or sports car.
Old 02-02-10, 07:24 PM
LexFather

Well I will wait to see in person but looking at specs, the exterior, interior and price, this seems to be more CC/Passat than Camry or Accord but the PRICE will be Altimaish.

I am not in love with it but I do think this is a much bigger leap than the last Sonata.

Old 02-02-10, 07:49 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
How far back or forward were the front seats positioned? I am almost 6'3 and I find even the Camry rear seat to be a little tight when the front seats are moved back. It's also nice the Camry has reclining rear seats.

Are you implying you agree that the lack of a V6 will hurt sales? You've made multiple posts in other threads saying the lack of a V6 is no big deal since a turbo 4 will make up for it. Do you still feel that way?

1. almost all the way back. still had enough leg room IMO. just not so much the head room. probably not ideal for 6ft 4+ people in the rear. my wife's 08 elantra have 35 inch of leg room and Sonata is gigantic compare to elantra. I really wouldn't worry about the size of this thing. it's total interior space is over 120 cu-ft.

2. we won't see turbo 4 for awhile. i'm a bit disappointed by the price. it's about a grand more expensive than i originally thought. it's starts very low, but those options add up. sonata was a great buy because OTD price on sonata was always 3-4k cheaper than accord/camry. it looks like it's almost up there with accord and camry. only time will tell, but i'm little worried about the price.

Last edited by joe80; 02-02-10 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 07:52 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Midsize buyers priority

1. brand/size/EPA rating/warranty/price

2. design
Old 02-02-10, 07:59 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...the-specs.html

sonata's spec vs. buick regal

combined leg room is 80.2 cu-ft. that's plenty.
i think total leg room is more important than just looking at rear leg room. unless you are 6ft 5, you probably won't move the seat all the way back.
Old 02-02-10, 09:32 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Well I will wait to see in person but looking at specs, the exterior, interior and price, this seems to be more CC/Passat than Camry or Accord but the PRICE will be Altimaish.

I am not in love with it but I do think this is a much bigger leap than the last Sonata.
You do know the two-tone interior is not available in lower-end Sonatas right? Most of the marketing being done right now by Hyundai has been the high-end Sonata Limited.

The base Sonata Sonata GLS does not have the two-tone interior, rear seat vents, or the piano black and wood grain trim elements. The Sonata SE also does not have the two-tone interior available or the rear seat vents.

This is only Passat/CC mainly in terms of design. Interior materials do not seem to be that great, save for the Limited model. Interior features also pale in comparison to the CC/Passat, unless you get a Limited model.

The Limited model will start at 25K, and at the point you're almost at CC/Passat pricing.

Some of the specs are above cars like the Camry or Accord, but not all. Design excluded, the car seems to be closer to the Camry/Accord than the Passat/CC.

1. almost all the way back. still had enough leg room IMO. just not so much the head room. probably not ideal for 6ft 4+ people in the rear. my wife's 08 elantra have 35 inch of leg room and Sonata is gigantic compare to elantra. I really wouldn't worry about the size of this thing. it's total interior space is over 120 cu-ft.

2. we won't see turbo 4 for awhile. i'm a bit disappointed by the price. it's about a grand more expensive than i originally thought. it's starts very low, but those options add up. sonata was a great buy because OTD price on sonata was always 3-4k cheaper than accord/camry. it looks like it's almost up there with accord and camry. only time will tell, but i'm little worried about the price.
I was talking strictly legroom though. I know the Sonata's hip, thigh, and shoulder room in the rear is fine.

Again, I wasn't talking about total interior space. Trunk space is good, front seat space is good, but rear seat legroom is poor. I am just very surprised Hyundai took this decision.

Price mirrors extremely close to the Camry, and only a little bit cheaper than the Accord.

I called this before, but price is definitely going to be an issue for them. Not just with the Sonata, but other new Hyundai models price-wise are now up there along with the class leaders.

Hyundai no longer offers the amazing value they did before, as their pricing continues to go upwards.
Old 02-02-10, 09:37 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

more press pics
http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kit...to_Gallery.asp

turbo version will get the mileage of 23/35 which was announced at the Sonata press conference in LA. HP isn't confirmed though. most likely around 250hp.

250hp 23/35 would be industry changing.

EDIT: 25/35 is incorrect. they said 23/35. same with non-turbo

Last edited by joe80; 02-02-10 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 09:47 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

EDIT: interior appears to be Sonata SE, not base model.

I find it very, very hard to believe the turbo 4 will get 24/35 or 25/35 EPA mileage. *IF* by some miracle Hyundai manages that, it will be definitely a game changer.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 02-02-10 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 10:01 PM
LexFather

more press pics
http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kit...to_Gallery.asp

turbo version will get the mileage of 25/35 which was announced at the Sonata press conference in LA. HP isn't confirmed though. most likely around 250hp.

250hp 25/35 would be industry changing.
That MPG figure is very good sounding. Probably 28 MPG avg by the EPA.

Quick Reply: 2011 Hyundai Sonata Official Thread (Pricing announced)