Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does a car's smell influence your purchase decision?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-09, 06:56 PM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a car's smell influence your purchase decision?

Yes I know - this thread stinks...

I am not talking about 100,000 mile ashtrays, but rather the "new car odor" associated with each marque. Visiting car shows I find many brands have a recurring smell "signature" that seems very consistent regardless of the model generation. At the San Francisco Auto Show on Monday I had a chance to smell pretty much every new car on the market.

Personally, I love the "aroma" of new BMW's which is really distinctive. The latest models still smell exactly the same as my 1990's 320i did when it was new. MB is highly agreeable as well, and Lexus only less so, as one would expect from these prestige olfactory marques.

Acura's odor also works for me even if its design ethos does not, (I quite like eau de RL) and for some reason have maintained a distinction between your reeking average new Honda which makes me feel nauseous. Worse still, sitting in a new Toyota Camry or Nissan of any type turns my stomach - these cars stink of something ungodly when new. It can't be just leather as all these cars had it.

How important is the smell of a new car to your purchase decision?

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 12-02-09 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-02-09, 09:14 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with you. Love the new BMW smell..but havent gone to seen any new cars lately, forgot how they smell.
Old 12-02-09, 09:16 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I personally love the new Nissan smell, and the new Lexus smell... but I absolutely despise the smell of Hondas, especially the Civic. I find they smell like a chinese buffet inside.
Old 12-02-09, 11:49 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Cheaper cars are going to have less pleasant smells. They are not as selective in the choice of plastics and other organic materials. In luxury cars, the smell is part of the feel. An expensive car had better smell good. An automaker will likely examine the smell very thoroughly before releasing a luxury car, and make the necessary fixes to create a pleasing aroma.
Old 12-03-09, 12:42 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

So how are you getting into all these new cars to smell? I'd be lucky to be in one new car per year. I can't even recall the last time I was in a new Nissan, save for maybe at an auto show.
My last Audi had a nice smell to it. The IS's smell was good, but I think I end up liking any new car smell just for the fact that it means "new car."
Worst though come to think of it was my dad's new Veracruz. Had a cat urine smell, but was likely one of the plastic panels or carpetting. Went away after a month.
Old 12-03-09, 04:05 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cjf_moraga

I am not talking about 100,000 mile ashtrays, but rather the "new car odor" associated with each marque. Visiting car shows I find many brands have a recurring smell "signature" that seems very consistent regardless of the model generation. At the San Francisco Auto Show on Monday I had a chance to smell pretty much every new car on the market.

Personally, I love the "aroma" of new BMW's which is really distinctive. The latest models still smell exactly the same as my 1990's 320i did when it was new. MB is highly agreeable as well, and Lexus only less so, as one would expect from these prestige olfactory marques.

Acura's odor also works for me even if its design ethos does not, (I quite like eau de RL) and for some reason have maintained a distinction between your reeking average new Honda which makes me feel nauseous. Worse still, sitting in a new Toyota Camry or Nissan of any type turns my stomach - these cars stink of something ungodly when new. It can't be just leather as all these cars had it.

Chris
That 'new car scent' in a BMW isn't very healthy to breathe.

http://www.healthystuff.org/departme...?getrecno=2326

Lexus vehicles
http://www.healthystuff.org/departme...?getmake=Lexus

Best and Worse vehicle list
http://www.healthystuff.org/departme...tworstcars.php

Me,after the new car scent leaves,I use Zaino leather conditioner and after awhile a couple of mists of Griots Garage leather spray car scent on the carpet occasionally.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-03-09 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-03-09, 07:46 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the aroma of new Porsche leather.
Old 12-03-09, 08:47 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I personally love the new Nissan smell, and the new Lexus smell... but I absolutely despise the smell of Hondas, especially the Civic. I find they smell like a chinese buffet inside.
lol funny...

i liked the new smell of my Evo even though it didn't have as much leather as my Lexus. then i got my Lexus and loved every smell of it! i think it really affects everybody's buying decision.
Old 12-03-09, 08:54 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Most Honda/Toyota cars give me the nasty sick feeling. I can't help but to think of the toxic fume I'm sniffing.
Old 12-03-09, 09:09 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There's good reason to keep your car smelling clean and fresh. It can affect the value. A friend who had to unload her big Caddy Sedan d'Elegance when the real estate market took a plunge, negotiated a trade with her local Cadillac dealer for a nice 6-month old Oldsmobile.

It was a great deal and got her out from under car payments when she needed the money. The Olds was a beauty, and appeared to be showroom new with only about 8,000 miles on it. Then she parked it in the sun for a day or two . . .

Yikes! the smell was worse than the filthiest locker room you've ever been in. The powerful BO smell just made your eyes water. The car went back to the dealer several times, and it simply couldn't be cleaned - and they tried everything, scrubbing every surface they could reach, removing the door panels, the trunk mat, even replacing the carpet, and pulling the AC coil and steam cleaning it. The smell simply wouldn't go away.

I rode in it once for about 20 minutes with the windows open, and the smell was in my clothes for the rest of the day. The dealer ended up giving her another car, and never could get it clean enough to re-sell. Even the employees wouldn't drive it. Eventually, after a few months on the lot, that Olds went to the crusher.
Old 12-03-09, 09:34 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cjf_moraga

Chris
The leather, more specifically, the way that it is processed (vat dyed, spray dyed) has a bearing on how a car smells. There is tons of info online about this. Would the smell influence my buying decison? No. Hang up a christmas tree freshner if the smell is overbearing.
Old 12-03-09, 09:41 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

in a new car...no it wouldn't effect my purchase -- because they all will have the "new car smell"

in a used car, yes...if it stinks inside I wouldn't buy it.
Old 12-03-09, 09:48 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
in a new car...no it wouldn't effect my purchase -- because they all will have the "new car smell"

in a used car, yes...if it stinks inside I wouldn't buy it.
Mud butt will get em every time
Old 12-03-09, 12:30 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by Joeb427
That 'new car scent' in a BMW isn't very healthy to breathe.

http://www.healthystuff.org/departme...?getrecno=2326

Lexus vehicles
http://www.healthystuff.org/departme...?getmake=Lexus

Best and Worse vehicle list
http://www.healthystuff.org/departme...tworstcars.php

Me,after the new car scent leaves,I use Zaino leather conditioner and after awhile a couple of mists of Griots Garage leather spray car scent on the carpet occasionally.
Just breathing the air outside isn't exactly healthy. What's your point?
Old 12-03-09, 12:37 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil4X
There's good reason to keep your car smelling clean and fresh. It can affect the value. A friend who had to unload her big Caddy Sedan d'Elegance when the real estate market took a plunge, negotiated a trade with her local Cadillac dealer for a nice 6-month old Oldsmobile.
Sad story indeed.

Quick Reply: Does a car's smell influence your purchase decision?