Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sandwich, Fries Blamed For Fatal Crash

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 04:58 AM
LexFather

Post Sandwich, Fries Blamed For Fatal Crash

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/21806123/detail.html

Sandwich, Fries Blamed For Fatal Crash

Posted: 6:39 am EST December 4, 2009Updated: 6:51 am EST December 4, 2009

Comment On This Story ››
CUMMING, Ga. -- A sandwich and french fries may have caused a head-on collision that left a Forsyth County woman dead, according to police.

Rhonda D. McGinnis, 48, of Cumming was eating the food when she lost control of her Honda Accord on highway 9 in Forsyth County Wednesday night, according to Sgt. Chris Shelton of the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office.

McGinnis crossed into oncoming traffic
and slammed into a Nissan Pathfinder.

An ambulance took McGinnis to North Fulton Hospital where she died.

Shelton said McGinnis was not wearing a seatbelt.

Tracy Anne Bertini, 35, the driver of the Pathfinder and her passenger, her 15-year-old son, were not seriously injured. They were both wearing seatbelts.

Old 12-04-09, 05:38 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

An almost perfect story. Dumbass who is doing s*** she shouldn't be doing and not wearing her seatbelt gets dead. Family not doing stupid s*** and wearing their seatbelts are fine. All is right with the world, though I do feel sorry for the trouble the people in the Pathfinder are going through.
Old 12-04-09, 08:26 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be horribly hilarious if the woman sues the fast food company.

Gotta love stupid lawsuits!
Old 12-04-09, 08:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Clearly, new laws are necessary to prevent people from eating while driving. However, legislators would never bow to the pressure, and would probably only agree to "hands free" eating, and then make it only a secondary offense.
Old 12-04-09, 09:07 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Gotta love stupid lawsuits!
bro, i don't think she can sue from the dead. unless you've been watching too many zombie-court room movies.

i don't get why in this day and age people stil don't wear seatbelts? right when i get in, it's second nature to buckle up. is it that hard to put on a seatbelt that can mean the difference between bruises and your head going through the windshield?

anyone wanna nominate this lady for a darwin award? eating while driving and not wearing a seat belt.
Old 12-04-09, 09:08 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad she slammed into a vehicle much heavier than hers, killing only herself.

I wonder if drive-thru's should be banned for encouraging people to eat while driving.
Old 12-04-09, 09:16 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sadly this does not surprise me much, people take driving as a joke and they have the "it will never happen to me attitude" and its terrible.

A few days ago while driving to the dump I was behind a Honda Civic that was driving as if the driver was **** drunk. He almost hit 2 parked cars and a curb, once the road turned into a 2 lane where I could pass, I did so. While passing I glanced over at the jackass driving and the dude was eating noodles with chopsticks.............I KID YOU NOT! Freaking Chopsticks. I was amazed, terrified and dumbfounded all at the sametime. He was steering with his damn elbows and knees.

to get his attention back on the road and off of his precious food I laid on my horn which scarred the **** out of him and into his noodles ended up on his lap, it was hilarious, but he did end up pulling over.
Old 12-04-09, 09:47 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

this is what sucks bout driving, no matter how protective of a driver you are, you can still end in an accident because of these stupid people.
Old 12-04-09, 09:48 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by metalgear
this is what sucks bout driving, no matter how protective of a driver you are, you can still end in an accident because of these stupid people.
So very true
Old 12-04-09, 09:53 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

If she had survived, I suspect she would have done just that.
Old 12-04-09, 10:02 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
Sadly this does not surprise me much, people take driving as a joke and they have the "it will never happen to me attitude" and its terrible.

A few days ago while driving to the dump I was behind a Honda Civic that was driving as if the driver was **** drunk. He almost hit 2 parked cars and a curb, once the road turned into a 2 lane where I could pass, I did so. While passing I glanced over at the jackass driving and the dude was eating noodles with chopsticks.............I KID YOU NOT! Freaking Chopsticks. I was amazed, terrified and dumbfounded all at the sametime. He was steering with his damn elbows and knees.

to get his attention back on the road and off of his precious food I laid on my horn which scarred the **** out of him and into his noodles ended up on his lap, it was hilarious, but he did end up pulling over.
crazy!

Old 12-04-09, 10:15 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I love it how blame is always being taken away from the driver in these situations "food may have been the blame". No irresponsibility and carelessness of the driver was to blame. 2 examples:

1. Me driving yesterday filming this frog sitting on my windshield on my way to school at 65mph, had I crashed, totally my fault, BUT I GOT FOOTAGE!.
2. Me driving and one of my tires blowing out from some manufacture defect, not my fault.

I understand driving and maybe grabbing a fry from the bag, but eating a sandwich, and no seatbelt, that's about as negligent as one can get. Her fault 100% and she paid the ultimate price.
Old 12-04-09, 10:24 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Tragic but you have to be a little mad at the lady eating while driving. How involved in your food do you have to be to not notice that your 3500 lb. car is coming out of the lane and across a median???? I am happy to hear that the lady and her son in the pathfinder are OK
Old 12-04-09, 10:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sad, although that diet would have eventually done the same thing to her.
Old 12-04-09, 10:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
bro, i don't think she can sue from the dead. unless you've been watching too many zombie-court room movies.

i don't get why in this day and age people stil don't wear seatbelts? right when i get in, it's second nature to buckle up. is it that hard to put on a seatbelt that can mean the difference between bruises and your head going through the windshield?

anyone wanna nominate this lady for a darwin award? eating while driving and not wearing a seat belt.
Her heirs can sue!

If she were still with us, I'd want to ask her if she took off her seatbelt to better reach the food?

Quick Reply: Sandwich, Fries Blamed For Fatal Crash