Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nonexistent Toyota Found in Russia?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 05:30 AM
LexFather

Question Nonexistent Toyota Found in Russia?

http://www.japanesenostalgiccar.com/...pic.php?t=7421
A Russian guy claims to have bought a Toyota AA, a car previously thought to have been exterminated in Japanese WWII efforts. Not even Toyota owns an original AA. Intriguing thread

Plenty of car companies have been known to buy back some of their historic models in order to preserve their history and display them in their museums. When Toyota tried to find their first car (the Toyota AA) they found there was none left possibly due to Japans love of crushing outdated cars for the latest model and the fact that only 1400 were build from 1936 till 1943. The next plan was to create a replica of the car but as a full set of plans were not available the replica was built from what plans could be found from over the models lifetime. Today the replica that was built for Toyotas 50th anniversary sits in Toyota’s automobile museum in Nagoya Japan. While the car may not be exactly like the one you could buy in the late 30’s to early 40’s it is pretty darn close to what the real thing would have looked like if there was still one around.

Old 12-04-09, 05:47 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why car companies should keep at least the first one coming off the assembly line or at least a prototype.
Old 12-04-09, 06:46 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

What do car companies do with their original molds etc. after a production cycle?
Old 12-04-09, 09:47 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JessePS
This is why car companies should keep at least the first one coming off the assembly line or at least a prototype.
Or the last.

Personally, I'd like to see car companies keep the first- and the last-produced car of a specific model for their museums. It feels right.
Old 12-04-09, 09:58 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

interesting. maybe Toyota could buy that from the Russian guy?
Old 12-04-09, 10:37 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

The replica has a totally different grille from the AA found in Russia. Still cool though.
Old 12-04-09, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It looks very similiar to the Chrysler Airflow, which was built here in the U.S. during roughly the same time period, and, for several reasons, was a sales flop.

It's not surprising that there are few, if any, models left of some Japanese-built cars of that period. During World War II, Japanese cities......and industry.......were almost completely destroyed, not only by the Hiroshima/Nagasaki atomic bombs, but by the even more destructive mass fire-bombing raids of 1945.
Old 12-09-09, 05:46 PM
teeder27
Rookie

Thats a very interesting read. I read through all 8 pages of the thread. There are definatley some characteristics on the said "AA" which would make me think that it actually is one. I am going to follow that thread to see if anything actually comes out of it. Definately a cool find.
Old 12-13-09, 12:18 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But the hood and grille don't match the picture???
Old 12-13-09, 08:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
But the hood and grille don't match the picture???
The second pic is of a replica, not the actual car produced.

Today the replica that was built for Toyotas 50th anniversary sits in Toyota’s automobile museum in Nagoya Japan. While the car may not be exactly like the one you could buy in the late 30’s to early 40’s it is pretty darn close to what the real thing would have looked like if there was still one around.
Old 12-13-09, 12:33 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Oh wow, i wonder how much this thing could sell for at auction if it were to go there.
Old 12-13-09, 02:47 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The second pic is of a replica, not the actual car produced.

Today the replica that was built for Toyotas 50th anniversary sits in Toyota’s automobile museum in Nagoya Japan. While the car may not be exactly like the one you could buy in the late 30’s to early 40’s it is pretty darn close to what the real thing would have looked like if there was still one around.
Ohhh.... I thought the pic was the actual drawing. Oops! Yeah ok it all makes sense now after I re-read it. Thanks!