Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When it comes to car colors, it seems silver is golden

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 07:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Thanks.Amesome is a great word for your shine.Dark colors like yours look great shined up but I don't have the patience anymore after having two black vehicles.
I've been using Zaino for over 10 years.
When I bought the car,I negotiated the install of body side moldings but didn't like the look and took them off.
10 years with Zaino. WOW !!! thats a lot of amazing looking cars. I have been using it now for about 2 years but enjoy doing it. Sometime once a week. As you know the more coats you put on the easier it is to apply and remove.

I remeber last time polished the car I started right when my wife had left to run to the store for dog food. I ended up applying it, removing it, hitting it with one round of gloss enhancer , and taking a shower by the time she got home. Thats when I took this shot
Attached Thumbnails When it comes to car colors, it seems silver is golden-img_0023.jpg  
Old 12-04-09, 07:29 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
10 years with Zaino. WOW !!! thats a lot of amazing looking cars. I have been using it now for about 2 years but enjoy doing it. Sometime once a week. As you know the more coats you put on the easier it is to apply and remove.

I remeber last time polished the car I started right when my wife had left to run to the store for dog food. I ended up applying it, removing it, hitting it with one round of gloss enhancer , and taking a shower by the time she got home. Thats when I took this shot
Sure looks great.
After washing my vehicles,I usually put a coat of ZCS on.I'm at the point of diminishing returns as far as shine but the simple wipe on and walk away ZCS is just too easy.
Of course I did a ZAIO and Z2 earlier.
I had a '69 Corvette I sold two years ago and am still a member of www.corvetteforum.com.
That's where I found out about Zaino about 10-11 years ago and am a big fan of most of the Zaino product line.
Old 12-04-09, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

guys, color of the car, not wax/polish
Old 12-05-09, 06:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
hahaa, people got addicted to how nice the car looks when clean at dealership. buy the car, and weeks later they regret
You speak from experience? If so, with black paint, you are certainly not the first.

That's one of the reasons (among many) why Saturn had that 30-day return policy on a new car, with no significant damage and a clear title.
Old 12-05-09, 02:44 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Silver.

I was looking for the *yawning* emoticon.
Old 12-05-09, 02:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silver against a gray sky and a gray road ends up being nearly invisible. Blahhh.
Old 12-05-09, 03:00 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Silver against a gray sky and a gray road ends up being nearly invisible. Blahhh.
And so would a black car at night
Old 12-05-09, 03:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
And so would a black car at night
Except it's against the law to drive without lights at night, no matter what color the car is. (Headlamps, taillights and side marker lights front and rear are required in US).
Old 12-05-09, 05:57 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Black, White are my two top choices, then Silver. I also like certain Blues, mostly the darker blues. Why would anyone want to drive in a rainbow color car like bright yellow, purple, green, orange and whatever other glittery color? That's just me though. More power to anyone that wants to drive in a bright rainbow color car.
Old 12-05-09, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Totally agree. Silver and light-to-medium gray cars are the worst for visibility on gray, asphalt roads. I suspect (but can't prove) that is one of the main reasons why we have headlight-on laws with windshield wipers in damp weather and DRL (Daytime Running Lights) standard on all new cars.
Old 12-05-09, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Except it's against the law to drive without lights at night, no matter what color the car is. (Headlamps, taillights and side marker lights front and rear are required in US).
Even aside from that, DRLs are also now standard....as I indicated in my post above. They come on automatically at night, too, whenever the ignition is on and parking brake is off, even if the regular-intensity headlights aren't on. That doesn't include the taillights, though.
Old 12-05-09, 06:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Black, White are my two top choices, then Silver.
I don't mean to be rude or sarcastic by saying this, but welcome to the herd.

I also like certain Blues, mostly the darker blues. Why would anyone want to drive in a rainbow color car like bright yellow, purple, green, orange and whatever other glittery color? That's just me though. More power to anyone that wants to drive in a bright rainbow color car.
Paint jobs don't have to be circus-show bright to be classy and good-looking.
Good examples are coral, amythist, indigo blue-violet, sea-green, and copper.

The problem is that most auto manufacturers, on most of their vehicles or the majority, at least), use the same shades, over and over.....and, of course it simply gets stale. I constantly see that in my car reviews.
Old 12-05-09, 07:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I just feel like its boring to paint metal/aluminium silver. Its already freakn silver . That just makes it so boring
Old 12-05-09, 07:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I just feel like its boring to paint metal/aluminium silver. Its already freakn silver . That just makes it so boring
Silver and light gray, supposedly, goes with the "high-tech" titanium-look today that is so popular. I agree it is a fad.....but, admittedly, a very popular one.

And, almost 30 years ago, John DeLorean took the high-tech look even one more step. His DMC-12 sports car had an all-stainless-steel body that was delivered to customers with no paint at all......just bare, polished/finished, treated metal.

Old 12-05-09, 07:46 PM
Amre
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Silver and light gray, supposedly, goes with the "high-tech" titanium-look today that is so popular. I agree it is a fad.....but, admittedly, a very popular one.

And, almost 30 years ago, John DeLorean took the high-tech look even one more step. His DMC-12 sports car had an all-stainless-steel body that was delivered to customers with no paint at all......just bare, polished/finished, treated metal.

that thing could probably take out a truck lol

Quick Reply: When it comes to car colors, it seems silver is golden