Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

J.D. Power releases sat-nav study

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-09, 03:48 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
where da hell is BMW? i smell conspiracy!! i don't know how idrive evolved recently but when i tried last gen 7series 4-5 years ago, i thought it was harder than calculus. i thought i wasn't smart enough to maneuver such a brilliant invention.
I guess there's a reason why one-star's are not listed.
Old 12-07-09, 04:11 PM
LexFather

List seems about right, no?

Old 12-07-09, 05:03 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems fairly accurate to me. Obviously, I have not used all of these, but from the ones I have, they rank in order which I'd place them in, including iDrive not even on the list! j/k!
Old 12-07-09, 05:11 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Venza's system is what all the new Toyotas are getting... thats latest gen for USA.

It is funny though that IS and RX are rated so differently yet dont they have same systems?
How?

I have the Gen 6 in my Prius which should be the same as the Venza and almost all 2010 models except the Corolla, Matrix and Yaris.
Old 12-07-09, 05:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

No surprise that the Acura system in the TL is way at the top. My wifes system in her TL is so much more intuitive than my GS. Its just better.
Old 12-07-09, 06:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Maybe the Avalon's system rating is due to a combination of it not being too great and its average owner being on the older side of the spectrum.
Originally Posted by encore888
Coincidentally, the Avalon is one of the rare Toyota navi systems that lack touchscreen, I'm guessing this is a factor in the dissatisfaction rate.
encore888 has a good point. And, Threxx, I don't think that, in this case, age has much to do with it, because,on the list, you will find the Lincoln MKS's NAV system in first place...........a vehicle that is largely driven by an older, conservative crowd just like the Avalon.
Old 12-07-09, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
lol bmw couldn't get to the chart in time coz' people are still learning how to use the nav j/k

Agreed.....the BMW and Audi I-Drive/MMI systems are a mess, although the Q5's seems to rank pretty high. That, of course, is one of their newest versions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-07-09 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-07-09, 06:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
How?

I have the Gen 6 in my Prius which should be the same as the Venza and almost all 2010 models except the Corolla, Matrix and Yaris.
gen2? I thought Venza had newer system... not sure, as our European Toyotas get Lexus based systems, which have thousand options ;-). I always get suprised how people on US boards complain about Toyota NAV...
Old 12-08-09, 12:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed.....the BMW and Audi I-Drive/MMI systems are a mess, although the Q5's seems to rank pretty high. That, of course, is one of their newest versions.
the audi system, although not my fav, is a much better and easier system to use than bmw imho
Old 12-08-09, 08:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Two
As long as Toyota/Lexus keep their nav lockout "feature" they can forget about getting a good satisfaction rating.
I agree, the Lexus system is actually pretty good, especially the new touch screen menu tab system. Like many others out there, I will never buy another Lexus Nav system as long as they have that lock out. I just think it is an insult to a luxury car owner's intellegence.
Old 12-08-09, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree, the Lexus system is actually pretty good, especially the new touch screen menu tab system. Like many others out there, I will never buy another Lexus Nav system as long as they have that lock out. I just think it is an insult to a luxury car owner's intellegence.
Get used to NAV lockouts, or at least some restrictions, while the car is moving. They are probably going to be the wave of the future, especially as lawyers get more and more involved in the design/marketing process. It's not a question of them being an "insult" to people's intelligence....or you yours personally. Studies have proved that the more drivers are distracted with electronic devices while the car is moving, the more chances of an accident there will be. That's not just opinion, but a fact. Of course, it is more of a fact with some drivers than with others.......drivers differ in their ability to drive and multi-task at the same time, and hands-off devices are generally less distracting then hands-on ones. But there is no denying the general trend.
Old 12-08-09, 08:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Get used to NAV lockouts, or at least some restrictions, while the car is moving. They are probably going to be the wave of the future, especially as lawyers get more and more involved in the design/marketing process. It's not a question of them being an "insult" to people's intelligence....or you yours personally. Studies have proved that the more drivers are distracted with electronic devices while the car is moving, the more chances of an accident there will be. That's not just opinion, but a fact. Of course, it is more of a fact with some drivers than with others.......drivers differ in their ability to drive and multi-task at the same time, and hands-off devices are generally less distracting then hands-on ones. But there is no denying the general trend.
Most cars do have some lock out, but not to the extend of Lexus. All I am saying is that, if there is a passenger on board, there should be no lock out, and Lexus can sense if there is a passenger on board with the seat sensor.
Old 12-08-09, 08:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Most cars do have some lock out, but not to the extend of Lexus. All I am saying is that, if there is a passenger on board, there should be no lock out, and Lexus can sense if there is a passenger on board with the seat sensor.
i agree, and they already have a passenger sensor for airbag, so it's just another wire needed. i won't agree with enabling dvd playback when car is moving (in the front), but some functions like dest and phonebook, i think that's reasonable

but then again, there is override systems available for lexus for a reasonable cost, i just factor that into my cost for the car
Old 12-08-09, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

but then again, there is override systems available for lexus for a reasonable cost, i just factor that into my cost for the car
Does the factory appove of these, and will they affect the warranty or insurance? Insurance companies often take a dim view of safety-override systems, although they are admitedly often hard to detect.

Now, that doesn't mean that I myself always approve of safety nannies.....I don't by any means. One thing that drive me nuts, and something I intensely dislike, is the lane-warning beeper on Infiniti vehicles....I'm glad they have a switch to turn it off.
Old 12-08-09, 08:50 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 735 Likes on 506 Posts

i agree, and they already have a passenger sensor for airbag, so it's just another wire needed. i won't agree with enabling dvd playback when car is moving (in the front), but some functions like dest and phonebook, i think that's reasonable

It's a great system isn't it

Does the factory appove of these, and will they affect the warranty or insurance? Insurance companies often take a dim view of safety-override systems, although they are admitedly often hard to detect.

Now, that doesn't mean that I myself always approve of safety nannies.....I don't by any means. One thing that drive me nuts, and something I intensely dislike, is the lane-warning beeper on Infiniti vehicles....I'm glad they have a switch to turn it off.
I'm sure Lexus wouldn't like it but it doesn't splice any wires and it gives you full control over the nav and audio controls while in motion. Plus since no wires are cut it can be easily removed if necessary.

Quick Reply: J.D. Power releases sat-nav study