Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

J.D. Power releases sat-nav study

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 08:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

How can it be a safety over ride when other car companies dont even consider the over ride a safety feature. I also agree that under no circumstance should one be able to watch DVD in the front seats.
Old 12-08-09, 08:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Does the factory appove of these, and will they affect the warranty or insurance? Insurance companies often take a dim view of safety-override systems, although they are admitedly often hard to detect.

Voids warranty so if you have a problem.The bypass will have to be removed.
I'd still go with the bypass but I believe installation of this part plugs into the back of the unit which means the unit would have to be uninstalled.
I would have to find someone to do that install and I'd be afraid of rattles and creaks after the unit is reinstalled.
Old 12-08-09, 10:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Voids warranty so if you have a problem.The bypass will have to be removed.
I'd still go with the bypass but I believe installation of this part plugs into the back of the unit which means the unit would have to be uninstalled.
I would have to find someone to do that install and I'd be afraid of rattles and creaks after the unit is reinstalled.
nah, as long as done right there will be no rattles and such. i have done many cars, they are all good

i use it all the time when people call me so i can see who's calling before i pick up (or not). that alone is a great feature already (and nothing different from say adjust radio controls)
Old 12-08-09, 10:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm maybe Lexus can make the bypass an option
Old 12-08-09, 10:40 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus should have a nav like on Range Rovers, where passenger sees DVD and driver sees map...
Old 12-08-09, 10:45 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
nah, as long as done right there will be no rattles and such. i have done many cars, they are all good

i use it all the time when people call me so i can see who's calling before i pick up (or not). that alone is a great feature already (and nothing different from say adjust radio controls)

I wish you were near me,I'd hire you to do the install.
Old 12-08-09, 10:30 PM
AceVA
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had OEM nav on nearly all of my vehicles for the past 5 years, which include the new Cadillac Escalade ESV, Lincoln Navigator, Toyota Camry (Wife's), Silverado, Hyundai Genesis, LS460. I can't stand ****-based navigation, so the Genesis was off-putting -- but it was the only vehicle that was completely unrestricted, no lockouts.

The Navigator has a terrible navigation system (a 2008, so pre-Sync) -- the Camry (2007) is also mediocre at best - very slow and often inaccurate. The LS460's works relatively well, though the fact that the entire radio is virtually useless in motion really, really puts me off. To be honest, I've found GM's navigation system to be the easiest to use - it does have lockout, but not nearly to the extent Lexus does.

The Genesis had a nice navigation system, in spite of it being ****-based and it has absolutely no restrictions, which was great.

I think it's difficult to argue that SYNC is the best OEM navigation system on the market.
Old 12-09-09, 05:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AceVA
The LS460's works relatively well, though the fact that the entire radio is virtually useless in motion really, really puts me off. To be honest, I've found GM's navigation system to be the easiest to use - it does have lockout, but not nearly to the extent Lexus does.
Nobody locks out functions to the extend that Lexus does. Lexus actually ease up on the big brothering a bit lately. In the older Lexus nav. the system will start up with some legal statment and it will sit there until tou hit the I AGREE button. You have to do that everytime you start the car. After all that I AGREE crap, it will still lock you out of the nav functions while you are driving. Talk about insulting one's intellegents.
Old 12-09-09, 06:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Nobody locks out functions to the extend that Lexus does. Lexus actually ease up on the big brothering a bit lately. In the older Lexus nav. the system will start up with some legal statment and it will sit there until tou hit the I AGREE button. You have to do that everytime you start the car. After all that I AGREE crap, it will still lock you out of the nav functions while you are driving. Talk about insulting one's intellegents.
and with upcoming lawsuits, rest assured they will never drop the lockout.
Old 12-09-09, 06:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
and with upcoming lawsuits, rest assured they will never drop the lockout.
Are you aware of any up coming law suits? Please post link. If they can win those kind of law suits, there will be lawsuit for radio, bluetooth, sunroofs, HVAC system and what ever else we need or want to operate while we drive. Pretty soon, power windows will be voice command only
Old 12-09-09, 08:15 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Yup might as well restrict radio use too. Imagine not being able to change channels while driving. What's protecting them is the "I agree" button that you just pressed. I've seen more accidents caused by people talking on cell phones than by using their navi.

In the older Lexus, you could bypass the lockout by doing the 'finger-dance', but it's not something you want to do every time you sit in your vehicle.
Old 12-09-09, 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Yup might as well restrict radio use too. Imagine not being able to change channels while driving. What's protecting them is the "I agree" button that you just pressed. I've seen more accidents caused by people talking on cell phones than by using their navi.

With a number of cars, there's no real difference.....the car-phone controls (including Bluetooth) are part of the NAV system itself, and are integrated into the same controller/screen.

My view on the subject is that if automakers would use simpler stereo controls to start with (and not implement them into the electronic-controller systems), adjusting the radio would not be the problem it is, even when the car is in motion. For instance, not only in my own Outback, but in some simpler cars without the NAV systems, the controls are simple enough that I can sometimes operate them blindfolded, simply by feel alone. Just try that with BMW's I-Drive or Audi's MMI, although, to their credit, they sometimes have voice-command, which helps.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-09-09 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-09-09, 08:35 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree. Call me a traditional guy, but I like having buttons. My friend has an ES330 and every time I try to change the radio (while driving), I get really annoyed because I HAVE to look at the screen. I'm not fond of touchscreens, especially when it comes to controlling basic things (radio). I'll take the tactile feel of buttons over touchscreen, even if touchscreen is 'cool'.
Old 12-09-09, 08:42 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I feel in car navs are going to get killed off except in the more expensive cars in the future especially when we have GPS systems for under $200, Iphones, and Droids.
Old 12-09-09, 08:47 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

CarPC FTW!

Only lockouts are the ones I set up (and I haven't gotten around to setting any up yet).

Quick Reply: J.D. Power releases sat-nav study