Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

J.D. Power releases sat-nav study

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 09:24 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting study. I've seen most oem navigation systems although I haven't seen Sinc. From my experience, Honda/Acura have the best systems.

It is funny to see the same systems rated very differently though.
Old 12-09-09, 09:40 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I feel in car navs are going to get killed off except in the more expensive cars in the future especially when we have GPS systems for under $200, Iphones, and Droids.
Agreed.

The premium for OEM systems remains ridiculous. Unless automakers significantly reduce prices in the future, the option will be a tough sell.

My $150 Garmin works better and easier than just about any OEM system. And now, Google maps navigation on Droid blows everybody away. There isn't even a close second. And it's free with the phone purchase! Why pay $2000 for an inferior built in unit?

These navigation companies need to start worrying if everyone will soon have it free on their phones.
Old 12-09-09, 09:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Agreed.

The premium for OEM systems remains ridiculous. Unless automakers significantly reduce prices in the future, the option will be a tough sell.

My $150 Garmin works better and easier than just about any OEM system. And now, Google maps navigation on Droid blows everybody away. There isn't even a close second. And it's free with the phone purchase! Why pay $2000 for an inferior built in unit?

These navigation companies need to start worrying if everyone will soon have it free on their phones.
Very good point. Cell phone NAV is just as good if not better. I always thought of NAV as a nice option to have. I never understood people that argue and make it seem like a NAVIGATION SYSTEM is technology and the main reason to purchase a car What about the CAR?

Funny but I've used my OEM NAV and the iPhone nav and a Garmin...never been a big deal

Old 12-09-09, 10:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

might as well put a visual/sound barrier between the driver and any other occupants in the car too. the lexus lockouts are stupid. period.
Old 12-09-09, 10:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

oem navs will lag behind until they have a dynamic connection to the internet or just connect through the phone (duh!). having to pay $1500-2000 for the oem system is bad enough, but $200 a year for updates is ludicrous.

oem systems CAN be better than phones or dedicate devices (screen size alone, clarity of audio through audio system, etc.) but today most generally aren't much better if at all.

amazing that the new 5 series gt has a 10.2" screen
Old 12-09-09, 10:23 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
oem navs will lag behind until they have a dynamic connection to the internet or just connect through the phone (duh!). having to pay $1500-2000 for the oem system is bad enough, but $200 a year for updates is ludicrous.

oem systems CAN be better than phones or dedicate devices (screen size alone, clarity of audio through audio system, etc.) but today most generally aren't much better if at all.

amazing that the new 5 series gt has a 10.2" screen
The 09 & up idrive has available internet connection & is one up on many factory systems. The net and a variety of the cars functions including vitals can al be seen on that HD quality 10.2 inch screen. Even the baby 3 has the 10.2 inch screen
Old 12-09-09, 10:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The 09 & up idrive has available internet connection & is one up on many factory systems. The net and a variety of the cars functions including vitals can al be seen on that HD quality 10.2 inch screen. Even the baby 3 has the 10.2 inch screen
They could put a 50" plasma in there and it still wouldn't be on the chart. None are ON the chart. Bad system is bad.

Old 12-09-09, 11:02 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They could put a 50" plasma in there and it still wouldn't be on the chart. None are ON the chart. Bad system is bad.
It could be that the BMW contingent would rather spend their time driving their cars instead of getting pudgy & wasting their time filling out a 6 page survey. I have a few at home that I've recieved months ago that are blank.. Perhaps you can help me fill them out
Old 12-09-09, 11:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

HD on a 10" screen? somehow that sounds very funny to me

i do agree aftermarket nav is getting very good now, all manufacturers will need to step up quick
Old 12-09-09, 11:10 AM
LexFather

It could be that the BMW contingent would rather spend their time driving their cars instead of getting pudgy & wasting their time filling out a 6 page survey. I have a few at home that I've recieved months ago that are blank.. Perhaps you can help me fill them out
Considering they have the biggest screens and tons of electronics and an I-drive system that makes you look everyone but on the road, I think people like their BMWs as living rooms with the image of being sporty.

Hey works for them!

Old 12-09-09, 11:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
I thought you've experience the new i-drive in an 09 car

A quick glance at the screen will bring some semblence. Just pop a DVD in one and enjoy..

This thread below has some actual screen shots from the new system.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...furt-show.html
Old 12-09-09, 11:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

i do agree aftermarket nav is getting very good now, all manufacturers will need to step up quick
HD doesn’t mean it’s 1080p resolution, it just mean that it has a high performance graphic card Most of the factory nav system comes with other options, so the cost is maybe more like a $1000. We have both and we prefer the factory nav. It’s always there, the screen is bigger, it picks up satellites much faster and graphic is better.

Last edited by The G Man; 12-09-09 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-09-09, 11:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
HD doesn’t mean it’s 1080p resolution, it just mean that it has a high performance graphic card Most of the factory nav system comes with other options, so the cost is maybe more like a $1000. We have both and we prefer the factory nav. It’s always there, the screen is bigger, it picks up satellites much faster and graphic is better.
hehe that's pretty much what i was hinting, guess not everyone get it. higher resolution for sure, quite noticeable. it's just like what lexus did from gen4 to gen5 nav (which happens like 3 yrs ago!!!). but personally i just wouldn't use hd to describe the nav. well just me
Old 12-09-09, 11:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

hehe that's pretty much what i was hinting, guess not everyone get it. higher resolution for sure, quite noticeable. it's just like what lexus did from gen4 to gen5 nav (which happens like 3 yrs ago!!!). but personally i just wouldn't use hd to describe the nav. well just me
And that new BMW 10" screen is a wide screen, so height wise, its about the same as the old one.
Old 12-09-09, 11:44 AM
AceVA
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a shame we live in such a litigious society where people can't take responsibility for their own stupidity. Spill hot coffee on oneself - it's clearly the responsibility of the person who gave you the coffee, right? That hot coffee just snuck up on you. Crash a vehicle because you glanced over at a screen and you're not a good driver to begin with? Clearly the automaker's fault.

I think a reasonable compromise is locking out all features by default. If one wants to assume the risk of piling into a tree because they can't multi-task, the owner should have the ability to override the lockout (even if it's through the Lexus personal settings program, requiring a re-program from the dealer) and assume all responsibility thereafter, thus releasing the manufacturer from further liability.

Quick Reply: J.D. Power releases sat-nav study