Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura: Tier 1 goal abandoned..."Smart luxury" in (Sub TSX coming, hybrids)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-09, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Your priorities (SUV-wise) are in-line with the market. The MDX outsells the RDX by a 14 to 1 ratio. MDX is consistently the top #1/#2 seller in the Acura product line in the US.
Agreed, but that is because most people who buy small SUVs are not looking for the sports-car road manners like the RDX. That is also why the Hemi SRT-8 Jeep Grand Cherokee has not sold well (along with its poor build quality, of course). The MDX and TL, as you note, are Acura's two bread-and-butter products in the American market.

Acura is probably trying to make the same business decision with the RDX as with the RL, both incredibly slow sellers.
I don't know............although they (seemingly) are not going to replace it, they kept the NSX in the fold for many years, even though it sold even worse than any RDX or RL.
Old 12-07-09, 06:47 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meh the whole value/sensible luxury thing has already been done by Volvo. I don't see how this announcement makes Acura any more "special"
Old 12-07-09, 06:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Meh the whole value/sensible luxury thing has already been done by Volvo. I don't see how this announcement makes Acura any more "special"
Funny but Volvo has turbos, and a V-8 and AWD. Volvo has a cute ute and a bigger SUV. Volvo does have a hatch and a coupe/covert. The ACura commercials advertise how safe they are mostly. Maybe they are going to be a brand under Volvo?

Acura has three sedan, 3 SUVs. Not exactly more exciting than Volvo.

Old 12-07-09, 06:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

=mmarshall;5056676.

I don't know............although they (seemingly) are not going to replace it, they kept the NSX in the fold for many years, even though it sold even worse than any RDX or RL.
Agreed, and of course we don't know. We do know that for mainstream production cars the RDX and RL have pathetic sales.

The NSX was not a comparable car, being exotic, limited production, sporting flagship, therefore business criteria is very much different.
Old 12-07-09, 06:56 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Funny but Volvo has turbos, and a V-8 and AWD. Volvo has a cute ute and a bigger SUV. Volvo does have a hatch and a coupe/covert. The ACura commercials advertise how safe they are mostly. Maybe they are going to be a brand under Volvo?

Acura has three sedan, 3 SUVs. Not exactly more exciting than Volvo.

It's kinda sad that Volvo has more to offer than Acura but Volvo's almost dead in the US so maybe Acura's plan is to take their place as the safety premium brand. Ironically Acura is coming out with a wagon next year too.
Old 12-07-09, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
It's kinda sad that Volvo has more to offer than Acura but Volvo's almost dead in the US so maybe Acura's plan is to take their place as the safety premium brand. Ironically Acura is coming out with a wagon next year too.
I don't think Volvo is that close to the grave yet. Without getting into stereotypes, they do have a solid following among certain classes of car buyers, but, in general, don't appeal much to so-called auto "enthusiasts". That's why most of the R-Sport models were dropped from the American market.

If you are referring to the anticipated TSX SportWagon, I agree that will be a nice product....and, if the SH-AWD is offered, a competitior to top-level Subarus. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing and reviewing one.
Old 12-07-09, 07:42 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think Volvo is that close to the grave yet. Without getting into stereotypes, they do have a solid following among certain classes of car buyers, but, in general, don't appeal much to so-called auto "enthusiasts". That's why most of the R-Sport models were dropped from the American market.
Another reason the Rs were dropped is their lack luster performance and overall durability. Apart from my neighbor's Flying Spur, his wife has a V70 R. When I first drove it, I was pretty impressed with the torquie engine and surprising chassis. But the active suspension is the pits. The comfort makes it wallow, the sport is a little better, and advanced is simply rock hard. It has also aged a lot. the whole thing creeks going over speed bumps now as if the chassis is flexing a lot.

I think this is where Acura can step in. Most of Acura's line up is sporty and they actually do it pretty well now that they have moved away from FWD for the most part.

Like others have mentioned, the MDX offers a lot more cargo capacity than its main competitor, the RX. I am very satisfied with my RX and was in the showroom looking to purchase the 450h but I just couldn't bring myself to do that since it really doesn't hold all my abalone diving gear.

On the topic of not wanting sport SUVs, I have to agree but there are times when I appreciate it. For instance, when I drive to my house in the Sierras, there is a delightful twisty road that no car lover could leave behind and the MDX has fun with it while still allowing its all weather drivability when I need to go down my unplowed road.
Old 12-07-09, 07:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The MDX would hold all of that gear. Its bigger than the RX but that much bigger
Old 12-08-09, 12:57 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did someone really NEED to announce that Acura was abandoning tier 1 luxury? All you have to do was look at their line-up to figure that one out.

The MDX is the only Acura I can really stand to look at. I've rode in and driven my aunt and uncle's and it's a really nice vehicle IMO. I actually prefer it to the likes of the RX line, but again that's just my opinion.

It seems like "smart luxury" thing is going to infringe on Infiniti territory and that may not bode so well for Acura as I really don't see how they could even compete with Infiniti at this point. I try to think of where Acura fits-in in the grander scheme and I'm just not sure where that is... They're priced too high to compete with someone like Hyundai but they don't offer near enough to compete with someone like Audi, Infiniti, Caddy, or even Volvo so where does that leave them?
Old 12-08-09, 02:17 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The best thing going for them (outside of Honda/Acura's traditionally excellent quality control) is the RL. The problem is that the public, outside of a few places such as the local D.C. market here (where it has sold reasonably well), just hasn't signed on to it. So, yes, in a sense that, sales-wise, you could say the car HAS been a failure. But, IMO, that's not the RL's fault. It is a superb product if you actually go look at it and drive it.
Cars fail for a reason, not just by coincidence. There is something keeping people away from the RL that just doesn't work. It could be the styling, it could be the size, it could be the price, it could be the name, it could be what preceded it, it could be the lack of a 2WD model, it could be the lack of V8... who knows really. But people don't avoid cars w/o reason. The RL is responsible for low RL sales.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 12-08-09 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-08-09, 02:24 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The MDX is my favorite Acura by far and yes they are dealing the 2009s like nuts.Yes it is sportier than the RX, whooty doo However let me clear misconceptions;
1. The MDX has a little more power but is no faster than a RX
2. The RX does offer a sport package now
The new RX also leases for $469/mo. Personally, I like the new Lexus's styling better. The rear roofline of the MDX has a basket with a handle issue.
Old 12-08-09, 02:26 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Great Scott! Look at those 2001 Toyota Tacoma steel rims on that Acura Civic!!!
Old 12-08-09, 04:53 AM
LexFather

Actually, Acura dealerships, at least in my area (D.C. suburbs) are pretty upscale as it is. The problem is that, like with Suzuki, there probably just aren't enough of them.

That could be true in some cases, but, in general, I don't quite see it that way. In buying a car, as I see it, two of the most important things are the quality of the vehicle itself and the quality of the service that the dealership provides. How much the dealership management and the factory kiss each other's a**es is not of concern of most car buyers, except maybe for some issues after the standard warranty is expired.
Mike there are about 100 more Acura dealerships then Lexus dealerships nationwide. Not sure of your area but maybe its too "upscale" for the brand?

As for dealers, it is of the utmost importance they are kept happy. Imagine ramping up and spending millions based on plans and promises and then you find out you are getting nothing of the sort!

Look at how unhappy GM/Chrysler dealerships are. Heck as Nextourer stated, the only Acura dealerships by him closed and became a Kia dealer as the owner saw no future.

One of the reasons Lexus scores so high with dealer service is the relationship they have with corporate, getting cars they feel customers want and not defaulting on promises.

Lexus dealerships were told years ago to ramp up for more and better products. 1 billion has been spent nationwide on dealer upgrades.

Imagine if the GS still came with no V-8, the LS had no AWD, LWD, sport, hybrid, the LX didn't move up, the IS didn't expand etc etc.

Dealers would be PISSED!

Old 12-08-09, 05:00 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are referring to the anticipated TSX SportWagon, I agree that will be a nice product....and, if the SH-AWD is offered, a competitior to top-level Subarus. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing and reviewing one.
^^^^1, that loyal following may grow larger with the demise of SAAB. There are a lot of consumers who swear by Scandanavian built cars, why I don't know, but they do !
Old 12-08-09, 05:10 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not matter what we "car guys" want, what's more important is the survival of the company. If you use say $1B in effort to only gain $400M in results, then you've lost $600M overall. I really don't think Acura needs to rise to the level of Tier 1, where frankly, it's pretty crowded right now and the big boys are all pretty good in what they do. So, why not be down at Tier 2 and go up with companies that are probably equal or less competent than you, and try to do well there?

I think this is a good move. Give the consumer in the long run more choices and lends for better competition. If Acura can build a very good Tier 2 vehicle and customers go in swarms to get them, then it makes the Tier 1 guys have to up their ante too, or lose out.

Quick Reply: Acura: Tier 1 goal abandoned..."Smart luxury" in (Sub TSX coming, hybrids)