Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura: Tier 1 goal abandoned..."Smart luxury" in (Sub TSX coming, hybrids)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 06:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Smart luxury lol, isn’t that what people call it when they wave the white flag. It seems to me Acura is downsizing not re-focusing, they have given up trying to compete with the big boys. What a shame, Acura in its prime were so close to tier one. Somehow, they lost their way and started a downward trend that they cannot stop. Their biggest mistake was the discontinuation of the NSX. That is follow by a series of bad-redesigns, such as the RL, TL and the MDX. Top that off with fail projects such as the RDX and ZDX and you have the recipe for disaster.
Old 12-08-09, 07:18 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I still wonder what the ZDX will look like in person. I think its going to be another X6 . More "SV" than "SUV". There is little utility designed into the shape but it looks cool
Well I saw this car (ZDX) in person at the show in SF and its as ugly as sin to me I felt the same even when I saw the car in pictures but you may like it, to each his own. I even got the chance to get in it. getting in the back seat tall folks will hit their head getting in and sitting straight up as the roof line swoops downward. I kept hearing guys moan about that, and how they have really bend down and tuck to get in, one guy smacked his head pretty good getting in. Cargo space behind the back seat is a joke.
Old 12-08-09, 07:57 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Cars fail for a reason, not just by coincidence. There is something keeping people away from the RL that just doesn't work. It could be the styling, it could be the size, it could be the price, it could be the name, it could be what preceded it, it could be the lack of a 2WD model, it could be the lack of V8... who knows really. But people don't avoid cars w/o reason. The RL is responsible for low RL sales.
Exactly and in that price range there are plenty of better choices that address all of the points you mentioned plus many others. And those that actually buy/shop premium cars in that price range do their research. Also resale value and resale demand plays into the decision, hugely impacting total cost of ownership. Any car that has nearly zero demand when new (150 units per month in the US is nearly zero demand btw) will have extremely low demand as a used car also.

All you have do to is look at Lexus, Mercedes, BMW to see examples of what it takes to sell cars by the thousands each month in that same price range.
Old 12-08-09, 08:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Any car that has nearly zero demand when new (150 units per month in the US is nearly zero demand btw) will have extremely low demand as a used car also.
Not always......it depends on the circumstances. A car that sells poorly, brand new, because it is simply overpriced may have better demand as a used car simply because the public feels that it is a better value once some depreciation has set in. The problem, of course, is that if it sells poorly as a new car, there will be few units available as used-cars, no matter what the demand. The VW Phaeton was a good example.....obviously, very few buyers thought it a good value as a new car, but they were willing to consider it as a used-car.....but the used samples, of course, weren't there. The 2Gen Acura RL, to an extent, is another example, although of course it easily outsold the Phaeton.

And, of course, no matter what specific vehicle you are talking about, the depreciation rate, in general, will be determined by the prevailing demand as a used car. On occasion, depreciation on some cars can be zero or even negative (meaning in increase in value). Used 2010 Camaro SS models, for example, when they can be found (and few they are), sometimes bring more than they sold for new.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-08-09 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-08-09, 08:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not always......it depends on the circumstances. A car that sells poorly, brand new, because it is simply overpriced may have better demand as a used car simply because the public feels that it is a better value once some depreciation has set in. The problem, of course, is that if it sells poorly as a new car, there will be few units available as used-cars, no matter what the demand. The VW Phaeton was a good example.....obviously, very few buyers thought it a good value as a new car, but they were willing to consider it as a used-car.....but the used samples, of course, weren't there. The 2Gen Acura RL, to an extent, is another example, although of course it easily outsold the Phaeton.
The GS is another good example.
Old 12-08-09, 09:18 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

And, of course, no matter what specific vehicle you are talking about, the depreciation rate, in general, will be determined by the prevailing demand as a used car. On occasion, depreciation on some cars can be zero or even negative (meaning in increase in value). Used 2010 Camaro SS models, for example, when they can be found (and few they are), sometimes bring more than they sold for new.
Agreed, there are always exceptions, but none are relevant to the current RL unfortunately.

As usual you have provided a poor example with the used 2010 Camaro SS ( a high demand, short supply, strong selling, supercar), versus a wannabe luxury car that sells 150 units per month. Kind of like when you compared the RL to the NSX.

These type of comparisons are such a stretchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......................................................................................

But what the heck, opinions are cool.

Last edited by IS-SV; 12-08-09 at 09:22 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-08-09, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

These type of comparisons are such as stretchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......................................................................................

But what the heck, opinions are cool.
What might be a "stretch" to some, to me, is just trying to be comprehensive and explaining things throughly. But, yes, you're cool.....no problem. I'd rank you probably in the top 5% of those people I deal with who have automotive knowledge.
Old 12-08-09, 09:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

What might be a "stretch" to some, to me, is just trying to be comprehensive and explaining things throughly. But, yes, you're cool.....no problem. I'd rank you probably in the top 5% of those people I deal with who have automotive knowledge.
Cool, and thanks.

And I probably misread your Camaro SS comment on resale, my fault.

Because what you really weren't comparing the RL to the Camaro SS, you were just pointing out a specific example of a zero depreciation car and in that context it's certainly a valid example.
Old 12-08-09, 10:56 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Milla...
Well I saw this car (ZDX) in person at the show in SF and its as ugly as sin to me I felt the same even when I saw the car in pictures but you may like it, to each his own. I even got the chance to get in it. getting in the back seat tall folks will hit their head getting in and sitting straight up as the roof line swoops downward. I kept hearing guys moan about that, and how they have really bend down and tuck to get in, one guy smacked his head pretty good getting in. Cargo space behind the back seat is a joke.
lol, sounds about right

Old 12-08-09, 11:52 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ yeah I was in the front seat trying not to laugh as he was holding the side of his forehead. Not that it was funny but his reaction to the car afterwards as he sat in the back seat kinda tickled me. Other than that and its sheer ugliness the interior is a bit wierd in a futuristic kinda way but nice as you would expect from Acura, it wasn't all that bad. I can't see how anyone would logically choose this over a MDX though.
Old 12-08-09, 12:29 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Cars fail for a reason, not just by coincidence. There is something keeping people away from the RL that just doesn't work. It could be the styling, it could be the size, it could be the price, it could be the name, it could be what preceded it, it could be the lack of a 2WD model, it could be the lack of V8... who knows really. But people don't avoid cars w/o reason. The RL is responsible for low RL sales.
I don't completely agree. The RL, and pretty much the entire Acura lineup, suffers greatly from the decisions made at the top. The products are excellent, if not a bit polarizing. Acura is a lost car company. They don't know who they are anymore.They've lost touch with the consumer. How can you target an audience if you don't even know who your audience is? Hell, they've changed their target buyer like 5 times already.
"let's change our models from names to number/letters because it will reflect a more upscale product"
"Let's go for technological advancement because that's what Acura stands for."
"Let's go tier 1 because that's what buyers want".
"let's build safety first because that's what will bring back Acura's name."

No wonder people are confused. When will it stop?

IMO, there's nothing wrong with the RL. It's a fine automobile and is priced fairly. The problem is with the car company that builds it. Consumers don't know who Acura is anymore.
Old 12-08-09, 12:40 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not convinced it's that complicated, IMO ^^^. I think the RL is responsible for the RL's lack of sales.

The MDX and TL despite being ugly sell at a respectable rate.

I see plenty of CL members buying plenty of cars in this price range (myself included), but not one gets close to buying an RL.
Old 12-08-09, 12:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
since the dollar's soon to be worthless and the govt is planning to tax everyone HEAVILY but especially those 'rich' people (meaning anyone making 6 figures), good luck selling luxury cars (i bet the VAST majority will be leased in 2 years). acura is smart to regroup, focus on a premium but not high end offering. there's going to be a lot of demand for it, for people who still want something nicer than an accord, but not 'showy' like a mercedes brand.
Technically you are right, and in the past Acura has been doing well with their strategy, and their cars were amazing values for what they were. But lately their prices have shot through the rough, while build quality went down and engine technology is in dire need to get modernized. The "Smart Luxury" these days could be Infiniti and some Hundai models. Acura is just not competitive at all, and their sales numbers prove it.
Old 12-08-09, 01:00 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Low demand new cars are usually great used values. For instance the now discontinued Q45 can be had for amazingly low price on the used market, same with Phaeton, and to some degree the RL and Lexus very own 3GS.
Old 12-08-09, 01:02 PM
LexFather

I'm not convinced it's that complicated, IMO ^^^. I think the RL is responsible for the RL's lack of sales.

The MDX and TL despite being ugly sell at a respectable rate.

I see plenty of CL members buying plenty of cars in this price range (myself included), but not one gets close to buying an RL.
What is even more shocking when we get to it, its not like the first RL didn't fail for nearly 10 years. From 1996-2005 they found out that people don't want a bland looking, FWD only 45-50k Acura with average acceleration. They saw what Lexus did and what Infiniti was attempting. THEY had YEARS to learn.

So what do they do? Make a bland looking, AWD only 50-55k Acura with average acceleration.

TWO vehicles let me know Acura WAS NOT serious about what they were saying and I said it years ago.

1. The TSX. Yeah its a great sub entry level vehicle. Its not premium. Its not on par with the IS/C/3 etc....where am I going with this? Well remember, Acura said "oh we are dropping the RSX to move up, no one wants a 4 cylinder 2 door". The VERY NEXT vehicle they bring is a 4 cylinder Euro Accord 4 door!! That made no sense. The RSX should have sold along it. You can't say you are moving upmarket and do a rebadge.

2. The RL. From day one I said it would flop. This is the BEST the company has to offer, their flagship, their technological tour-de-force, this is where the brand is to go. It flopped and enjoyed its best sales the months before the new M/GS arrived. The car simply does not conjure up images of a brand going forward. In retrospect, I much rather the RL debuted with ugly beak/odd all over styling and then it trickle down. Instead the RL got a facelift and followed the TSX, then TL (if this fail sounds familiar, Infiniti had the same issue with the Q45....it debuted first but the G35 is what Infiniti is identified with today..thus its gone).

I always use this example. The first gen GS was a sales FLOP. Imagine Lexus then came in 1998 with the same formula or barely any changes. Okay styling, V-6 only, AWD. This entire website would be different and Lexus as a whole would be different. Instead Lexus learned their lesson, gave the car great styling, a V-8, and it stood out. Hell I MIGHT NOT be here.

It has a lot to do with Honda's philosophy of efficiency and a LOT of internal fighting. Honda doesn't want or care to really be a luxury brand. They are happy selling tons of cars doing it their way. Acura never was more than Hondas with leather most years. Acura execs wanted to move up and it seems Honda never really wanted to make the investment Toyota made in Lexus. We got a bunch of press releases and hot air and the ZDX.

Thus they end up where they began.

I've said it a million times, no one wants expensive Acuras. They have not built their brand to a level where people will GLADLY part with their money for them. In contrast, BMW, Benz, Lexus has the brand power to command premium prices.

Acura should then bring back the RSX, bring the CSX and bring the names back and just be a great 22k-42k brand. NOTHING WRONG with that.

I just fear its too late and in 2010, they will move from 4th to 6th in sales.

Quick Reply: Acura: Tier 1 goal abandoned..."Smart luxury" in (Sub TSX coming, hybrids)