Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura: Tier 1 goal abandoned..."Smart luxury" in (Sub TSX coming, hybrids)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 08:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Does Acura have anything new to tell the car-buying public (let alone the educated auto enthusiast/buyer)?
Lets wait and see what the TSX SportWagon is like when it comes out next year. Although I haven't seen it except in pictures, right off the bat, it looks like a pretty nice product.......much better-looking than its borderline-ugly Crosstour cousin. If they put the SH-AWD on it as an option, it may (?) pick up a number of customers that are p***ed off at Subaru for dropping the AWD Legacy wagon......those buyers don't want (or need) the extra ground clearance of the Outback wagon.
Old 12-09-09, 09:35 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Lets wait and see what the TSX SportWagon is like when it comes out next year. Although I haven't seen it except in pictures, right off the bat, it looks like a pretty nice product.......much better-looking than its borderline-ugly Crosstour cousin. If they put the SH-AWD on it as an option, it may (?) pick up a number of customers that are p***ed off at Subaru for dropping the AWD Legacy wagon......those buyers don't want (or need) the extra ground clearance of the Outback wagon.
Agreed, wait and see is the way it will have to be with Acura. Even a TSX AWD sportwagon is hardly ground-breaking news, although it's based on a decent car at least. In the US the sportwagon market has consistently and historically been small (just a statistical sales fact).
Old 12-09-09, 10:04 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I cant believe that Subaru dropped the AWD from the wagon. When i lived in Boston they were the standard car for every mom with kids. That was a pretty stupid move. Are they doing it for fuel economy
Old 12-09-09, 10:26 AM
LexFather

Agreed, wait and see is the way it will have to be with Acura. Even a TSX AWD sportwagon is hardly ground-breaking news, although it's based on a decent car at least. In the US the sportwagon market has consistently and historically been small (just a statistical sales fact).
While its nice they are going to bring it, in America wagons have low image and are not wanted. This will hurt them, not help. I doubt they sell any more than the ZDX, 6,000 units. That is again, 2 a month per dealer. With AWD not being offered, that hurts as well. Wagons ARE NOT the answer.

Does Acura have anything new to tell the car-buying public (let alone the educated auto enthusiast/buyer)?
Nope. SH-AWD just sounds silly to most, most can't explain it and their advertising hasn't been effective. To most AWD is AWD. ATTESA, Quattro, etc...all the same to people.

If your best selling point is NAVIGATION, you are in trouble.

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I believe that when he says dealers are pissed, he's referring to the dealer's owner, the one that forked over all that money to upgrade. Salesman are probably upset because their new styling isn't cutting it.
Exactly.....its not a place for high morale and people thinking the company is on the move. Acura has confused not just its fans but its employees. Acura is spinning their failures by coming up with these terms "Tier 1, Smart luxury" etc.

Old 12-09-09, 11:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The TSX remain Acura's only decent product. Is this what the future hold for Acura? Selling a bunch of compact cars and calling themself a luxury car company?
Old 12-09-09, 12:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
While its nice they are going to bring it, in America wagons have low image and are not wanted. This will hurt them, not help. I doubt they sell any more than the ZDX, 6,000 units. That is again, 2 a month per dealer. With AWD not being offered, that hurts as well. Wagons ARE NOT the answer.

Nope. SH-AWD just sounds silly to most, most can't explain it and their advertising hasn't been effective. To most AWD is AWD. ATTESA, Quattro, etc...all the same to people.

If your best selling point is NAVIGATION, you are in trouble.

Exactly.....its not a place for high morale and people thinking the company is on the move. Acura has confused not just its fans but its employees. Acura is spinning their failures by coming up with these terms "Tier 1, Smart luxury" etc.
You are totally right. Bringing in a station wagon will hurt the company even more. The U.S. does not buy wagons and hasn't since the 80's. This will be another total waste of funding that could have gone for something more important. Makes me wonder what type of people are actualy running this company. It's going from bad to worse with no one being held accountable for the recent styling failures and product decisions.
Old 12-09-09, 12:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Trying to keep the wagon discussion on topic (w/TSX sportwagon on the way), US sales traction for wagons has been consistently poor. The only exception (with decent sales numbers) seems to be the Outback with it unique offroad and utility attributes. Even the A3 (which I happen to like and is somewhat common here) has sold at a slow pace.

Of course we can speculate as to why wagons in the US are a tough sell. But if Acura's latest and greatest news is the TSX sportwagon, good luck.
Old 12-09-09, 12:33 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Trying to keep the wagon discussion on topic (w/TSX sportwagon on the way), US sales traction for wagons has been consistently poor. The only exception (with decent sales numbers) seems to be the Outback with it unique offroad and utility attributes. Even the A3 (which I happen to like and is somewhat common here) has sold at a slow pace.

Of course we can speculate as to why wagons in the US are a tough sell. But if Acura's latest and greatest news is the TSX sportwagon, good luck.
The new outback is a cross between a wagon and a SUV. I guess even Subrau is following the anti wagon trend.
Old 12-09-09, 12:39 PM
LexFather

Mind you Acura has lost their value proposition as the TSX price has climbed to the old TL pricing. No thanks.

Not to mention they have a ZDX, RDX which is a small lifted wagon and now a TSX wagon?

Let me add to more confusion, the Crosstour will be EX level only, V-6 only and priced square in the 30-40k range. If the TSX is an I-4 for the same price, seriously WTF?

Old 12-09-09, 12:44 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

So basically Acura will now go head to head with Hyundai for the "Smart Luxury" segment.

We'll see what car buys will flock to once Hyundai starts rolling out over more cars that manage to get people's attention. I hope Acura has something rolled up it's sleeve we don't know about.
Old 12-09-09, 01:08 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bruce van
So basically Acura will now go head to head with Hyundai for the "Smart Luxury" segment.

We'll see what car buys will flock to once Hyundai starts rolling out over more cars that manage to get people's attention. I hope Acura has something rolled up it's sleeve we don't know about.
Hyundai will turn the Japanese big 3 into the Japanese big one pretty soon. I just dont see Honda and Nissan surviving the Hyundai's full court press.
Old 12-09-09, 01:41 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't know about Honda yet, but I can certainly see hyundai passing Nissan in sales within next 3-4 years.
Old 12-09-09, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

In the US the sportwagon market has consistently and historically been small (just a statistical sales fact).
Outside of Saab and Subaru, that is correct, but those two companies have a history of popular hatchbacks/wagons. But your point is still taken.....Saab has never been very big in the U.S. to start with, and GM alienated a nuymber of traditional Saab customers by eliminating those hatchbacks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-09-09 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-09-09, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
The TSX remain Acura's only decent product. Is this what the future hold for Acura? Selling a bunch of compact cars and calling themself a luxury car company?
It's hard to classify the new TSX as a "compact". It grew substantially with the redesign last year, and it is now arguably a mid-sized car.
Old 12-09-09, 05:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Outside of Saab and Subaru, that is correct, but those two companies have a history of popular hatchbacks/wagons. But your point is still taken.....Saab has never been very big in the U.S. to start with.
Yes, Saabs wagon numbers are so small that they are not worth mentioning when discussing current market, leading to where they are at today, not good.

Quick Reply: Acura: Tier 1 goal abandoned..."Smart luxury" in (Sub TSX coming, hybrids)