Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura: Tier 1 goal abandoned..."Smart luxury" in (Sub TSX coming, hybrids)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 05:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, Saabs wagon numbers are so small that they are not worth mentioning when discussing current market, leading to where they are at today, not good.
Yeah...Saab sold 500 cars last month and I think under 5000 for the year. They are for sale.

Sorry but they are dead and it was nice knowing you.

Old 12-09-09, 05:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's hard to classify the new TSX as a "compact". It grew substantially with the redesign last year, and it is now arguably a mid-sized car.
That's subjective since there are no official guidelines on length, width, wheelbase, track or weight for "compacts", but Acura knows where their price points put them in terms of competition.
Old 12-09-09, 05:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah...Saab sold 500 cars last month and I think under 5000 for the year. They are for firesale.

Sorry but they are dead and it was nice knowing you.
Note: my opinion/edit above
Old 12-09-09, 05:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Nope. SH-AWD just sounds silly to most, most can't explain it and their advertising hasn't been effective. To most AWD is AWD. ATTESA, Quattro, etc...all the same to people.
In theory, SH-AWD is actually a simple concept, though I agree that the press (and Acura's advertising) makes it sound complex.....and, mechanically, it is not a simple system. But, its main function, while mechanically complex, can be summed up in one sentence.....on cornering, yaw/steering sensors, through the differential, feed more torque to the wheels on the outside of the turn and less to those on the inside, thereby increasing the turn rate and lessening understeer.
Old 12-09-09, 05:34 PM
LexFather

In theory, SH-AWD is actually a simple concept, though I agree that the press (and Acura's advertising) makes it sound complex.....and, mechanically, it is not a simple system. But, its main function, while mechanically complex, can be summed up in one sentence.....on cornering, yaw/steering sensors, through the differential, feed more torque to the wheels on the outside of the turn and less to those on the inside, thereby increasing the turn rate and lessening understeer.
And it was the best system for sometime (BMW, Porsche, Audi now have comparable systems) but my point stands. SH-AWD sounds like rice for one and two it did NOTHING to change or alert the general public it was special.

It was a blown opportunity.

Add to that most people don't give a squat about ATTESA, Quattro, SHAWD, etc etc...

They just want to know if it has AWD or not if they want that feature.

Old 12-09-09, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
That's subjective since there are no official guidelines on length, width, wheelbase, track or weight for "compacts", but Acura knows where their price points put them in terms of competition.
Legally, for Government purposes, the terms subcompact, compact, mid-sized, and full-sized is determined by the EPA, based on interior volume, not exterior dimensions. But, on a practical level, most of us (and, I assume most of us here on CAR CHAT) tend to associate vehicle classifications by exterior size.
Old 12-09-09, 05:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Legally, for Government purposes, the terms subcompact, compact, mid-sized, and full-sized is determined by the EPA, based on interior volume, not exterior dimensions. But on a practical level, most of us (and, I assume most of us here on CAT CHAT) tend to associate vehicle classifications by exterior size.
Agreed, and the TSX is off the radar of most on CAR CHAT, most view it as a compact, some as a mid-sized.

Facts: length of 185.6" and wheelbase of 106.6" and width 72.4" and track 62.2" (nice wide track, short wheelbase, long overhangs, close to the compact A4 sizing)

EPA market class: TSX - "upscale sedan" which covers a broad range of interior volumes
EPA size class: TSX - "compact"

Last edited by IS-SV; 12-09-09 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added clarification on EPA market classes and size classes
Old 12-09-09, 08:42 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Let's not forget the ZDX is shaped like a hatchback. Hatchbacks are another dead segment with a failed U.S. sales history.
If I were in charge at Acura, I would have created a sleek new CL, cutting into the G37c or A5/S5 catagory.
Old 12-10-09, 06:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

And it was the best system for sometime (BMW, Porsche, Audi now have comparable systems) but my point stands. SH-AWD sounds like rice for one and two it did NOTHING to change or alert the general public it was special.

It was a blown opportunity.

Add to that most people don't give a squat about ATTESA, Quattro, SHAWD, etc etc...

They just want to know if it has AWD or not if they want that feature.
I agree. Acura had something special with the SH-AWD and they did not take full advantage of it. I think it’s mainly the fault of Acura's marketing department, the name itself and the way they introduce it. I mention to my wife that the RDX has super handling AWD and she laugh and said what is that, like ultra man? That statement kind of sums it for Acura's failure with the naming and introduction. The commercial could have been a lot of tasteful instead of some animated graphics showing how it work. It could have been much more dramatic in the fashion of how Lexus, BMW, MB and Audi introduce their new technology. In the end, it doesn’t really matter since they do not have a hot selling car to go with that technology.
Old 12-10-09, 09:52 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, total fail, and I mean that literally. Despite the hopes, dreams, and ambitions they had about reaching Tier 1 status with the Acura brand, Honda has totally FAILED in that regard. What an absolute disgrace, especially as I was once a Honda fan long ago.

So now they are going to back to what they were before ... value luxury, except they are calling it "smart luxury".

I will give credit to Honda for one thing, and that is they finally realize the truth that Acura will NEVER be taken seriously as a luxury brand. I say this because Honda will likely never stop being stubborn and resistant to adding things like RWD and V8 to the Acura brand.

Credit to Honda for realizing Acura is nothing more than "Honda plus". The truth sure does hurt in this case.

Originally Posted by GSteg
Good to see they're going with a new V6. It's about time they stopped using the 15 year old J-series.
It's about time, they needed a new V6 engine design years ago. The worst part is that the new V6 is still "in development". I bet you anything that Toyota will release a new V6 engine design as a replacement for the GR by the time Honda unveils their new V6 design. That would not surprise me, based on how LONG it took them to develop a 6-speed transmission. It's only showing up in products now, and it will take years before it's common among Honda/Acura products.

I predict we won't see this new Honda V6 until 2013-2014 at the earliest. I will be quite surprised if it debuts before that.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 12-10-09 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-10-09, 09:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, at least Honda still makes a nice lawn mower
Old 12-10-09, 11:37 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Well, at least Honda still makes a nice lawn mower
Haha from the gm commercial:

"but Honda does make one thing we cannot compete with.... And it's self propelled
Old 12-10-09, 11:54 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I wouldn't go as far as to say Acura has been a "total failure." They have had some great cars and designs since the beginning. They are just in a major slump right now, one in which they can pull out of if they get their act together.

The problem with the SH-AWD pretty much lies within the name. The general public and the average soccer mom/grandma doesn't care about what all the letters stand for. Perhaps single titles such as "4-Motion" and "Quattro" are easier to grab.
Old 12-10-09, 02:11 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda being an extremely conservative company is not going to pour hundreds of millions into Acura during this economic slump just so people on here can perceive it as a "Tier 1" luxury brand. While I think Acura needs a lot of reorganization, it's understandable if Honda is being a bit miserly at the moment. (I do dislike the direction the new CEO is heading, the former CEO was far more ballsy)
Old 12-10-09, 02:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FinalBurst
Honda being an extremely conservative company is not going to pour hundreds of millions into Acura during this economic slump just so people on here can perceive it as a "Tier 1" luxury brand.

Conservative?....I don't agree Honda is a "conservative" company. I would call a fair amount of the Acura styling, especially the parrot-beak grilles and the TL's rear-end, anything BUT conservative.

And, if anything, V8s and RWD, which Honda and Acura generally stay away from, is the very definition of conservatism.....that is the way that old American cars were done for decades. Honda, by moving away from that, and helping to perfect transverse-engines and FWD in the 1970's, moved AWAY from conservatism (though the basic idea, of course, goes back to the 1959 Mini).

Perhaps, though (and I'll at least partially agree with you on this), the only area where Acura can be considered "conservative", by today's standards, is by not going after the $100,000 class like Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and some other luxury brands have done. In that sense, Acura is joined by Infiniti and Lincoln.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-09 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Acura: Tier 1 goal abandoned..."Smart luxury" in (Sub TSX coming, hybrids)