Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura: Tier 1 goal abandoned..."Smart luxury" in (Sub TSX coming, hybrids)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-09, 02:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Final Burst means "conservative" as to being fiscally conservative with their investment spending during a recession. Regardless of the timing of their conservative spending patterns, there is evidence of a lack of spending that led to a lack of Acura premium hardware. Examples being lack of: DI, 6/7/8 speed auto trannys, DOHC V6's, DOHC V8's, RWD platforms.

The double-speak from Acura execs about wanting to be Tier 1 (while giving excuses for a lack of top tier hardware) earlier is another story and is often viewed as a joke..................................................
Old 12-16-09, 02:07 PM
LexFather

Acura's "Smart Luxury" future is confirmed, and so is a sub-TSX model
Date: December 15, 2009 11:35
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: Anonymous
Credibility Rating: 9

As a followup to last week's news item about Acura's rumored adoption of the "Smart Luxury" tagline (and migration away from the previous "Tier 1" target), we have been able to confirm that this course deflection has in fact been communicated to the dealer body.

We can also confirm that Acura has told their dealer body to expect:

* a new entry-luxury model

* an "amazing flagship" model

* a line of hybrid vehicles done "the Acura way".

* NO rear-wheel-drive or V8-powered vehicles

The key drivers for this change in course are said to include the global economic crisis and upcoming 2016 federal mandates which dictate a fleet average of more than 37mpg for Honda and Acura combined. This figure represents an increase of more than 10mpg over where they currently stand.

We are told that Acura has also promised that the future model lineup will feature more differentiation (in terms of size) between models, though the pipeline's rate of introductions may slow down a bit. Acura has previously stated that the lineup would offer an MMC or FMC every 6 months for the next several years, but now they are saying an MMC or FMC "every year".

Old 12-16-09, 08:04 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What exactly is the "Acura way" of doing hybrid vehicle?
Old 12-16-09, 10:06 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nextourer
the Acura way of doing hybrids is

giving out press releases for about 5 years talking about it, and how it's going to be done--and then give it the ole' switcharoo and then give out another press release introducing a new technology that's more sensible given the current economic climate.
Old 12-17-09, 05:00 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by whoster

giving out press releases for about 5 years talking about it, and how it's going to be done--and then give it the ole' switcharoo and then give out another press release introducing a new technology that's more sensible given the current economic climate.
LOL

My interpretation is Acura bringing a hybrid to market years behind the competition, totally not what the competition offers and its heavier, slower and less sophisticated and based on the Accord yet ACTING like its totally new and as you stated, a huge press release every week about a bunch of nothing.

So they will basically be bringing the Accord hybrid back

Old 12-17-09, 05:54 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..but in the appearance of a swine-flu infested Parrot.
Old 12-17-09, 05:59 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Good question. I've been raving around here for awhile how the Accord hybrid setup (with the 3.5L of course) would be very nice in the TL. But it seems like Honda is more interested in pairing little, tiny engines with their ailing IMA.
Old 12-17-09, 06:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

So Acura is the next big hybrid company, well, they are about 10 years too late. I wonder if the CEO of Honda is lost in a time tunnel
Old 12-17-09, 07:59 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I wonder if the CEO of Honda is lost in a time tunnel
At least their motorcycles are doing o.k.

Behind Yamaha of course, which is partially owned by Toyota.
Old 12-17-09, 06:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

If they are truly moving away from Tier 1 status then how do they think pricing a 63k SV ( cant really call an suv because there is no added utility). Acura is fading and being run into the ground
Old 12-17-09, 07:01 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
So Acura is the next big hybrid company, well, they are about 10 years too late. I wonder if the CEO of Honda is lost in a time tunnel
Its amazing that Honda, who brought the first hybrid to the U.S., let their Acura division get beat in the hybrid race by Mercedes and BMW.
Old 12-17-09, 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Its amazing that Honda, who brought the first hybrid to the U.S., let their Acura division get beat in the hybrid race by Mercedes and BMW.
I don't think that Acura ever thought that there was a market for upscale hybrids, especially here in the U.S.

But, never mind Mercedes and BMW......it was really Lexus who beat them out in the luxury-hybrid race.

In some areas, though, I'm beginning to think, more and more, that Mike (1SICKLEX) may be correct about Acura's management. Though I still think the RL is a superb car (I'm not going to change my mind on that), and the upcoming TSX sport-wagon looks promising, in general, I'm beginning to wonder what the people who run this company are smoking. They don't even listen to their own dealerships.......the very people who sell their cars for them.
Old 12-17-09, 08:36 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I concur. And actually, I've never even been to an Acura dealer that was helpful. I can recall visiting one with my dad in the early 90s and they rejected him a test drive of the Legend.

...I guess I should be thankful since I didn't inherit a 4 spd auto Legend and become as arrogant and narcissistic as my roomate...who is also on this forum.

Last edited by SLegacy99; 12-17-09 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 07:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Honda invented a lot of technology, they just cannot seem to capitolize on them for some reason. I blame upper management for not willing to take a risk and gamble on new technology and not listening to their customer base.
Old 12-18-09, 11:32 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster

of course!

Good question. I've been raving around here for awhile how the Accord hybrid setup (with the 3.5L of course) would be very nice in the TL. But it seems like Honda is more interested in pairing little, tiny engines with their ailing IMA.
Yes but how much more efficient will it be? It either has to be more powerful and faster than the stock while getting slightly better mileage, or it gets nearly the same 0-60 time with less power and significantly improved mileage.

IOW, power hybrid or eco hybrid? We don't want another "light pressure turbo" hybrid if you know what I mean.

The HCH-II imo is Honda's best efforts. It's spacious, fun-to-drive and has great mileage.

Of course you could always argue, it's basically a 1st Gen Prius (similar mileage, slightly more hp [110 vs. 98] and similar 0-60 time [13 secs]) but more stylish

Quick Reply: Acura: Tier 1 goal abandoned..."Smart luxury" in (Sub TSX coming, hybrids)