Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

German car sales set to collapse

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 04:40 AM
LexFather

Post German car sales set to collapse

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/245594/

New car sales for 2010 in Germany could plunge by as much as 25 per cent year-on-year now that the country's scrappage incentive scheme has run out.

Germany is Europe's largest economy and the largest European market for new car sales. Its scrappage scheme was the most generous in Europe, with almost £5 billion in government subsidies being paid out to owners of cars more than nine years old who were scrapping it for a new one.

Scrappage money officially ran out in Germany in September, but sales have continued to rise as cars ordered under the scheme continue to be delivered. But auto industry analyst VDA predicts that sales will begin to suffer in Germany next year when the effects of the scheme finally wear off.

"The domestic car market is going to be tough in 2010," VDA president Matthias Wissmann told a news conference in Germany. "Trees do not grow to the sky."

New car sales in Germany were up 20 per cent year on year for November, bringing the total number sold so far in 2009 to almost 3.6 million units, a rise of 25 per cent on 2008.

Wissmann did predict, however, that manufacturers selling in Germany wouldn't be left with large piles of unsold stock, as scrappage has ensured stock levels are very low and a waiting list is now in place on many popular models.

Old 12-08-09, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

German carmakers, however, do not have to just sell cars in Germany to make a profit. VW, Audi, BMW, and Mercedes sell all over the globe. Audi, especially, has seen large sales increases recently in the U.S......and a lot of that profit goes back to the Ingolstadt headquarters in Germany.
Old 12-08-09, 09:30 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

luxury car market is going to get a hit in general
Old 12-08-09, 10:19 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luxury car market has been taking a hit for several months already. And I agree the premium German car makers do a huge amount of non-domestic export business .
Old 12-08-09, 12:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
German carmakers, however, do not have to just sell cars in Germany to make a profit. VW, Audi, BMW, and Mercedes sell all over the globe. Audi, especially, has seen large sales increases recently in the U.S......and a lot of that profit goes back to the Ingolstadt headquarters in Germany.
i wouldn't be so sure that audi makes ANY money in the u.s. with no plants here and sky high labor costs and a weak dollar.
Old 12-08-09, 03:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i wouldn't be so sure that audi makes ANY money in the u.s. with no plants here and sky high labor costs and a weak dollar.
Well, a few years ago years ago Audi moved TT production out of Germany to a cheaper plants in Hungary. And, while I am admittedly not an accountant or a buisnessman, it's hard to imagine Audi not making money on their cars at the prices they charge here in the U.S., although they, admittedly, use some VERY nice materials in the construction of some of their latest models...and those materials aren't cheap. Still, Audis, in general, cost good money....for a reason.
Old 12-08-09, 03:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Audi's profits (or not) in the US at this point is pure speculation anyway, unless somebody shows us a geographical/regional P&L statement from their financials.

Last edited by IS-SV; 12-08-09 at 04:02 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-08-09, 08:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

German car sales set to collapse???? Man Japanese and American manufacturers are down. Take a number and get in line German car companies
Old 12-08-09, 09:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, it's called a recession, one of the worst of its kind.
Old 12-08-09, 09:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

true but the luxury car situation will be made worse by massive increases in taxation, not only at the federal level but coming at the state level too as so many states are broke and won't cut back spending.

and if this climate legislation happens... goodbye more wealth...
Old 12-09-09, 08:58 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't the article only talking about German car sales IN Germany and not the overall demise of the company itself.

Not sure where I see the difficulty.

No more scrappage funds means people can't receive a subsidy and therefore will be hanging onto their cars longer = lower sales of new cars.

Am I missing something from the equation or article?