Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar & Mercury Top JD Powers Sales Satisfaction Survey

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 02:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I have at least 5-6 Lincoln/Mercury dealers in a 25 mile radius(NYC metro area).
That's impressive, hopefully they are selling enough to cover costs.

Nearby I was surprised to see in Sunnyvale a Ford/Mercury dealer combined (used to just be a Ford dealer), so they must have closed the old Lincoln/Mercury dealer a couple of miles north recently.
Old 12-08-09, 02:11 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The L-M dealer near me was a pretty large facility. It closed a while back and the nearby Ford dealership now sells Fords as well as L-M's. Consolidation like this is inevitable.
Old 12-08-09, 02:22 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Mercury, only one. Around here it's hard to even find a Mercury dealer, most have closed.
^^^^1, I can't believe Ford is retaining the brand, our local Mercury dealer sells 7 new ones/month. He has 6 sales people, how do they make a living ?
Old 12-08-09, 02:29 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
That's impressive, hopefully they are selling enough to cover costs..

This Lincoln/Mercury dealer is a few miles from me.Check out how big this place is in pics at lower page..Second floor showroom too.
They built a new facility right next to the old one and the old one is vacant.

http://www.libertylincolnmercury.com/
Old 12-08-09, 02:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Pretty sure it is very related to kind of discounts you are getting as well, especially for normal brands... Thats why pontiac is so high.
Old 12-08-09, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Also Nissan being in the bottom 5 is not what I want to hear. Have they ever improved? It is a purchasing decision for me as I wasn't really "all warm and fuzzy" with service for my G/F. It hurts the Maxima's chances for us.
Come on, Mike. I'm sure you and your G/F can make up your minds on a car without worrying about what J.D. Power thinks. I'm not saying that Power doesn't have any credibility, but, from my experience, Consumer Reports is generally a better source, especially for auto reliability. And as far as sales satisfaction goes, that can vary enomously not only from one Nissan dealer to the next, but even between two different Nissan sales reps at the same dealership. That is why I have mentioned several times, in previous posts, that it's often a good idea to deal with people you know from previous experience than to deal with strange dealerships or sales people.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-08-09 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-08-09, 03:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The L-M dealer near me was a pretty large facility. It closed a while back and the nearby Ford dealership now sells Fords as well as L-M's. Consolidation like this is inevitable.
Yes, there's a couple like that here in the D.C. area, too. There's been a lot of talk (and rumors) of Mercury's eminent demise (I even had a thread about it), but it now seems more likely that they may be combined with Ford dealerships. Mercury does have a loyal group of car buyers, but, unfortunately from a buisness standpoint, it is not a large one......certainly not as large as rival Buick.
Old 12-09-09, 06:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

So let me get this right, Ford is the cheaper brand, Mercury is the medium brand and Lincoln is the luxury brand
Old 12-09-09, 07:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
So let me get this right, Ford is the cheaper brand, Mercury is the medium brand and Lincoln is the luxury brand

Mercury should be dumped.
Like I posted,how many people you know drive a Mercury?
Old 12-09-09, 07:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

The index, released today, measures how customers are satisfied by their buying experience based on five sales process factors.
nothing to do with cars, customer service, anything except about the customer perceiving they were treated nicely/fairly when it came to buying a vehicle.

this is a small, but important victory as it can help with repeat customers.
Old 12-09-09, 08:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Like I posted,how many people you know drive a Mercury?
Well, Mercury itself isn't helping much with its own restrictive marketing. With their two largest cars, they have dropped the Sable right off the bat (the new 2010 Taurus won't have a Sable brother), and the Grand Marquis is now restricted to fleet/special-order sales only. You can't sell what you're not willing to produce.

Lincoln, to an extent, made the same mistake with the Town Car....they vastly restricted its availablilty, despite the fact that it was a popular car and had (and still has) a pool of fans/loyal buyers. It's replacement, the smaller, rougher-riding MKS, just has not had the same appeal to the same group of car-buyers, despite its AWD option that the Town Car lacked.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-09-09 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-09-09, 08:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, Mercury itself isn't helping much with its own restrictive marketing. With their two largest cars, they have dropped the Sable right off the bat (the new 2010 Taurus won't have a Sable brother), and the Grand Marquis is now restricted to fleet/special-order sales only. You can't sell what you're not willing to produce.

Lincoln, to an extent, made the same mistake with the Town Car....they vastly restricted its availablilty, despite the fact that it was a popular car and had (and still has) a pool of fans/loyal buyers. It's replacement, the smaller, rougher-riding MKS, just has not had the same appeal to the same group of car-buyers, despite its AWD option that the Town Car lacked.
Mike,I don't know when Lincoln stopped selling the Town Car to the public but in my area in the past few years,I haven't seen many Town Cars other than for commercial car services.
On the road,I think I've seen a couple of Milans and Mariners and I'm the NYC metro area with it'sl plenty of people and vehicles.
Never could see why people would buy a Mountaineer over a Explorer.The Explorer was actually better looking,IMO.
Old 12-09-09, 10:07 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Come on, Mike. I'm sure you and your G/F can make up your minds on a car without worrying about what J.D. Power thinks. I'm not saying that Power doesn't have any credibility, but, from my experience, Consumer Reports is generally a better source, especially for auto reliability. And as far as sales satisfaction goes, that can vary enomously not only from one Nissan dealer to the next, but even between two different Nissan sales reps at the same dealership. That is why I have mentioned several times, in previous posts, that it's often a good idea to deal with people you know from previous experience than to deal with strange dealerships or sales people.
Well in my visiting two Nissan dealerships recently with her, I can see why Nissan is where it is. Its not the ONLY decision but it is one..especially since she has gotten/witnessed Lexus service first hand.

Old 12-09-09, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Never could see why people would buy a Mountaineer over a Explorer.The Explorer was actually better looking,IMO.
Two basic reasons. First, though truck-based, the Mountaineer came with a slightly softer suspension for comfort. Second, the Mountaineer did not have (or need) an off-road-capable locking 4WD system like the Explorer, as most Mountaineer buyers were less likely to try and use their vehicles off-road than with the Explorer. The Mountaineer's AWD system, though on a truck-based vehicle, was more of a car-based system.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-09-09 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-09-09, 05:04 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=mmarshall;5062268]
Mike,I don't know when Lincoln stopped selling the Town Car to the public but in my area in the past few years,I haven't seen many Town Cars other than for commercial car services.
On the road,I think I've seen a couple of Milans and Mariners and I'm the NYC metro area with it'sl plenty of people and vehicles.

Two basic reasons. First, though truck-based, the Mountaineer came with a slightly softer suspension for comfort. Second, the Mountaineer did not have (or need) an off-road-capable locking 4WD system like the Explorer, as most Mountaineer buyers were less likely to try and use their vehicles off-road than with the Explorer. The Mountaineer's AWD system, though on a truck-based vehicle, was more of a car-based system.
I thought the Aviator only had a softer suspesion unless they used the same suspension for the Mountaineer.
I now remember the Mountaineer did have that AWD system.

Quick Reply: Jaguar & Mercury Top JD Powers Sales Satisfaction Survey