Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar & Mercury Top JD Powers Sales Satisfaction Survey

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 11:34 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Jaguar & Mercury Top JD Powers Sales Satisfaction Survey

The Jaguar brand, sold by Ford Motor Co. last year to India's Tata Motors, won top honors in the annual J.D. Power and Associates Sales Satisfaction Index -- the fifth time in six years the luxury brand has taken the top spot in the influential survey.

The index, released today, measures how customers are satisfied by their buying experience based on five sales process factors.

Jaguar, which Ford sold along with Land Rover for $2.3 billion in 2008, finished with a score of 898. The brand scored well in the salesperson and paperwork/finance process factors, J.D. Power said.

Ford's Mercury brand scored the best for sales satisfaction among mass-market brands, in a new category Power created to make comparisons among brands more equitable.Although 13 luxury brands scored higher on average than 24 mass-market brands--864 to 832 on Power's 1,000-point scale--the ranges overlapped considerably.

“Five of the top 10 are nonluxury brands this year,” said Jon Osborn, research director for J.D. Power.

And although U.S. industry sales have plunged 24 percent this year, customers are more satisfied with the purchasing process.

More attention

Scores rose for 29 of the 37 brands -- mostly because, survey respondents say, dealership personnel were more attentive during the buying and delivery processes, Osborn said.

“When someone does come by, dealer personnel can spend more time with them,”
he says. “Scores improved on complete explanations during delivery and ‘concerned you stayed within budget.' ”

But more customers surveyed noticed more pressure to buy this year, with almost one in four complaining.

“It's a strange dynamic,”
Osborn said. “Dealers want to work with the customer, but they really don't want them to leave.”

Rounding out the top five luxury brands -- which have both the highest overall scores and are the only ones above the study's luxury average -- were Cadillac, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz and Land Rover. Audi, at 828, finished last among the luxury brands and was the only brand in that category with a score below the mass-market average.

Among the mass-market brands, leader Mercury was followed closely by Smart, Buick, Pontiac and Chevrolet.

The bottom five, counting up from Mitsubishi, were Jeep, Dodge, Mazda and Nissan.

Most positions are relatively unchanged from last year, but Mini jumped 49 points and 16 positions to finish No. 6 among mass-market brands, Osborn said.

And Hummer, which is being wound down by General Motors Co., suffered a double loss. Its score fell 25 points -- and it dropped out of the luxury category because its most popular model, the H3, is not considered premium by Power.

Changes in methodology

Although Osborn said the study's overall scores are higher, previous years' raw scores were not directly comparable because Power changed the study's methodology this year to an online format, which tends to result in lower scoring.

And manufacturers follow the Power index.

This morning, GM sales boss Susan Docherty said all four of GM's core brands ranked above average in sales satisfaction by Power.

“One of our key priorities was the restructuring of our dealer network,” Docherty said. “What we need to complete… is the successful wind-down of the dealerships that are not going to be with us going forward and the strengthening of our remaining dealerships.”

She added: “We picked the best and brightest dealers that know how to take care of customers.”

This year's study was based on responses from 48,000 customers who bought or leased a new vehicle in May or June 2009. The index is based on five factors: dealership facility; salesperson; paperwork/finance process; delivery process; and vehicle price.

Chrissie Thompson contributed to this report.

For more Car news, road tests, photos and insight, click here.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...#ixzz0Z7xgkILB
Old 12-08-09, 11:42 AM
LexFather

Good for them though in retrospect, when you sell a handful of cars a year I would hope you know all your customer by name, their favorite food and what leg their dog scratches with.....so I'm more impressed with Caddy, Lexus, Benz in the top 5.

This is hilarious.

Audi, at 828, finished last among the luxury brands and was the only brand in that category with a score below the mass-market average.

Also Nissan being in the bottom 5 is not what I want to hear. Have they ever improved? It is a purchasing decision for me as I wasn't really "all warm and fuzzy" with service for my G/F. It hurts the Maxima's chances for us.

Last edited by LexFather; 12-08-09 at 11:46 AM.

Old 12-08-09, 11:44 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Audi, at 828, finished last among the luxury brands and was the only brand in that category with a score below the mass-market average.
Audi is truly leaking on all cylinders...

Wait, never mind, they got the LEDs going for them.
Old 12-08-09, 11:59 AM
LexFather

Wow, Audi, Infiniti, Acura, Volvo bring up the rear

Old 12-08-09, 12:10 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

This is a sales Satisfaction Survey and not a Consumer Satisfaction Survey. It just ranks the sales experience of the buyer. It has nothing to do with the car itself. One would think Lexus should be on top with their customer service.
Old 12-08-09, 12:14 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Volvo over Audi? Thats laughable . Kia tied with Toyota is surprising though.
Old 12-08-09, 12:21 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Volvo over Audi? Thats laughable . Kia tied with Toyota is surprising though.
Why is it surprising? Are the Toyota salesmans any better than Kia's. Lexus might have top notch customer service, but Toyota is average at best.
Old 12-08-09, 12:26 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jaguar back on top again, they have traded spots back and forth with Lexus, who improved from the #5 brand in 2006 to #1 luxe brand in 2007, and #2 in 2008. It's a different story in Japan, Taiwan, and elsewhere where Lexus has been #1 in sales for quite a number of years. Lexus first got #1 in its first test year in 1991. I think the volume of cars sold has something to do with it--the more cars, the more difficult it is to top these measures. Others have hypothesized on here that Jaguar customers are fewer and so they can get more personalized attention, perhaps, nonetheless congrats.
Old 12-08-09, 12:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
This is a sales Satisfaction Survey and not a Consumer Satisfaction Survey. It just ranks the sales experience of the buyer. It has nothing to do with the car itself. One would think Lexus should be on top with their customer service.
What about Audi?

Old 12-08-09, 12:52 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What about Audi?
From what I understand, Audi have a very small markup and profit margin for their dealers comapre to other luxury brands, that is why the sales experience and customer service have always been an area that Audi need to work on. I find it funny that every post in here is confused of the different survey from JD power. The J D Power initial quality survey the long term relaibility survey are a measure of quality in a car, this survey is just how much the dealer kiss your ares when you buy the car
Old 12-08-09, 01:09 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Jaguar's don't sell,so of course the sales experience would be great.They'll kiss your *** to sell a car.
Same goes with Mercury.How many people do you know that drive a Mercury?
Old 12-08-09, 01:28 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to see Jag's ranking...
Old 12-08-09, 01:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
How many people do you know that drive a Mercury?
Mercury, only one. Around here it's hard to even find a Mercury dealer, most have closed.
Old 12-08-09, 01:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Mercury, only one. Around here it's hard to even find a Mercury dealer, most have closed.
Wow, I'm trying to think of who I know that has a MErcury..... I can't think of any!

Old 12-08-09, 01:54 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I have at least 5-6 Lincoln/Mercury dealers in a 25 mile radius(NYC metro area).

Quick Reply: Jaguar & Mercury Top JD Powers Sales Satisfaction Survey