Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IL Track Test: 2010 LS 460 Sport vs. 2009 750i Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 03:12 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well the reviews from AutoWeek, Automobile, and even this Edmunds one give praise to the LS 460 Sport's suspension and handling characteristics; with favorable comparisons to the S550 Sport, whereas the C&D review likens it to being 'on par" with standard Mercedes models. In all cases though, it is an improvement for those who want more spirited driving.
Old 12-09-09, 03:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I like the LS more than the BMW but we have to stop making excuses for the LS. The mercedes and BMW provide solid handling and comfort. The Lexus suspension is a joke when driving spiritedly . I know many will say well its not designed for that. BS... we all get a little frisky behind the wheel from time to time. Even if you dont you can still feel the stability in the suspension just making a u turn etc
Well, if you raise a Lexus on a lift alongside a BMW, you will see that BMW's suspension has a lot less rubber bushings where the suspension parts are attached to subframe. This allows for a lot more solid and stable driving feel and handling without having to make the suspension overly stiff. However all the bushings in Lexus suspensions isolate more road noise, and also help dampen impact from big potholes/bumps.

There's no free lunch anyway you cut it. There are people that love smooth Lexus ride and hate BMW's sporty ride. But I have to say, if Lexus is going to make a sport edition of LS, make it properly sporty or don't make it at all.
Old 12-09-09, 04:08 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
The LS does what it is intended to do and does it exceptionally well. Putting a sport suspension on an LS Lexus is akin to putting a thong on rosie o donnell. Some things are just not meant to be.
That's exactly what I have been saying all along. I just really don't get the point of why people are trying to inject sporty DNA into these big luxo tanks. Get a 911turbo if you want a sports car. Leave the whisper quiet LS alone and stop putting firm suspensions and thin tires on it.
Old 12-09-09, 04:29 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
The LS does what it is intended to do and does it exceptionally well. Putting a sport suspension on an LS Lexus is akin to putting a thong on rosie o donnell. Some things are just not meant to be.

]
Old 12-09-09, 04:33 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thoroughly disagree with the notion that this car is senseless or useless. Name another full size luxury sedan that is as luxurious, quiet, reliable, and and smooth as the LS. There isn't one.

I see nothing wrong with firming up the suspension and dialing in the connection with the driver- what is there to lose? The LS is a unique personality within the segment and there are plenty of people who would like to see something like an LS Sport. People seem to think that because they put a sport package on it, they're gunning for the 7 series.

Ever thought about the fact that they are just trying to extend the LS range itself? Add a little flair and performance, while retaining the car's core competencies?
Old 12-09-09, 04:42 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I thoroughly disagree with the notion that this car is senseless or useless. Name another full size luxury sedan that is as luxurious, quiet, reliable, and and smooth as the LS. There isn't one.

I see nothing wrong with firming up the suspension and dialing in the connection with the driver- what is there to lose? The LS is a unique personality within the segment and there are plenty of people who would like to see something like an LS Sport. People seem to think that because they put a sport package on it, they're gunning for the 7 series.

Ever thought about the fact that they are just trying to extend the LS range itself? Add a little flair and performance, while retaining the car's core competencies?

The LS is a great smooth riding vehicle.That's what it's meant to be.
Adding Brembo brakes,sports suspension etc.is ridiculous,IMO.
The style of the car doesn't even have the look for those addons.
The car doesn'thave the styling for a sport version and a set of 19" wheels won't help.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-09-09 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-09-09, 04:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with your perspective on these cars. The LS ends up with more of the Mercedes attributes that I tend to prefer.

In terms of styling I like the S and LS over the 7.
Old 12-09-09, 04:53 PM
LexFather

people r a riot....lol
"Lexus is boring and not sporty they need to be sporty like zee Germanz"
Lexus then brings sportier vehicle
"Lexus is stupid why make a sporty vehicle like zee Germans"
Seriously WTF

Old 12-09-09, 04:55 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bingo. It's also a bit like what some people said when Lexus came out with the IS-F: "Lexus is only for cushy boulevard cruisers", yadda yadda yadda. Some people easily stereotype and look only at the brand's best-sellers; they for instance forget the splash that the 2GS made, the 1SC made, etc., and since then the IS-F has had greater overall brand value than its sales numbers (which incidentally have been on par with rivals). The LS 460 Sport isn't as drastic as an -F model, although an LS-F is rumored after the GS-F, but it does extend the line in a logical fashion IMO.
Old 12-09-09, 04:58 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
people r a riot....lol
Seriously WTF
I wasn't one that said a LS 460 should be sporty like zee Germanz.
The LS460 isn't a sporty car and wasn't meant to be.
Maybe Lexus should add a hood scoop too.
Old 12-09-09, 04:58 PM
LexFather

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by encore888
Bingo. It's also a bit like what some people said when Lexus came out with the IS-F: "Lexus is only for cushy boulevard cruisers", yadda yadda yadda. Some people easily stereotype and look only at the brand's best-sellers; they for instance forget the splash that the 2GS made, the 1SC made, etc., and since then the IS-F has had greater overall brand value than its sales numbers (which incidentally have been on par with rivals). The LS 460 Sport isn't as drastic as an -F model, although an LS-F is rumored after the GS-F, but it does extend the line in a logical fashion IMO.
Bingo!!!!!!!'

Old 12-09-09, 05:02 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
people r a riot....lol
Seriously WTF
LFA is Epic. that's the sports car I have been longing for from Lexus. But too bad it's way out of my price range.

I just think that people who are complaining about LS not being sporty are nuts. It is NOT a sports car, and never indented to be one. so why bother making it sporty. Or Lexus can actually learn a thing or 2 from AMG or M division instead of sticking a tacky body kits with double sided tape on otherwise a very fine car.

Last edited by STIG; 12-09-09 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-09-09, 05:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The LS is a great smooth riding vehicle.That's what it's meant to be.
Adding Brembo brakes,sports suspension etc.is ridiculous,IMO.
The style of the car doesn't even have the look for those addons.
The car doesn'thave the styling for a sport version and a set of 19" wheels won't help.
great riding vehicle can still ride great while driving better... they just proved it ;-).

btw. that BMW is quite loud, louder by far than what you expect from the limo, even sports one. Cruising noise should be at levels of Lexus and not several magnitudes more, for 14k more!
Old 12-09-09, 05:06 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
great riding vehicle can still ride great while driving better... they just proved it ;-).

btw. that BMW is quite loud, louder by far than what you expect from the limo, even sports one. Cruising noise should be at levels of Lexus and not several magnitudes more, for 14k more!

An electric switchable adjustable suspension choice that keeps the soft ride would be a plus.
Old 12-09-09, 05:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
An electric switchable adjustable suspension choice that keeps the soft ride would be a plus.
those things always work the best in normal mode ;-).
but according to everyone so far, it is very comfy still, which means if i was to buy an LS, this version is what i would get (IMHO of course, i dont need it to be sports car, but why dont have the best of both worlds?).

Quick Reply: IL Track Test: 2010 LS 460 Sport vs. 2009 750i Sport