Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IL Track Test: 2010 LS 460 Sport vs. 2009 750i Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 05:12 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
those things always work the best in normal mode ;-).
but according to everyone so far, it is very comfy still, which means if i was to buy an LS, this version is what i would get (IMHO of course, i dont need it to be sports car, but why dont have the best of both worlds?).
For the hell of it,I'll have to test ride one when available.
Old 12-09-09, 05:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I wasn't one that said a LS 460 should be sporty like zee Germanz.
The LS460 isn't a sporty car and wasn't meant to be.
Maybe Lexus should add a hood scoop too.
I completely understand the LS is and has been about luxury over and over. I don't see nothing wrong with Lexus expanding the LS line by offering a "sport" option. Its not like ALL LS vehicles drive like this and are like this. Its an option. For those that want a traditional LS, they can get it still.

Originally Posted by STIG
LFA is Epic. that's the sports car I have been longing for from Lexus. But too bad it's way out of my price range.

I just think that people who are complaining about LS not being sporty are nuts. It is NOT a sports car, and never indented to be one. so why bother making it sporty. Or Lexus can actually learn a thing or 2 from AMG or M division instead of sticking a tacky body kits with double sided tape on otherwise a very fine car.

Stig, maybe they are nuts. Thing is Lexus would not have brought it to market if they felt people didn't want it. People have purchased them already in the LS forum.

Its surely a learning experience. This is the first "sport" Lexus LS in 20 years. This is not just the LS 430 "Euro Suspension".

The funny thing, the HILARIOUS thing is these cars, the BMW 7 sport and the S550 AMG sport too, WILL NOT be tracked or even driven hard. People buy them
1. To stand out
2. They don't want standard looking model
3. Like the exterior/interior "sport" options
4. A few that can tell the difference and want the driving difference.

This generation has been incredible for the LS (you personally know that ). The LS was a one way vehicle from 1989-2006. Today there is AWD, RWD, Sport, hybrid LS.

I see it as they expanding the LS lineup, even if it "doesn't make sense to have a sporty LS".

Finally the LS does not have the luxury of the ES/IS split. The GS/LS have to blend sport with luxury. I hope the GS gains a "sport" model as well next go round.

Without the tacked on kit.

Old 12-09-09, 05:25 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I completely understand the LS is and has been about luxury over and over. I don't see nothing wrong with Lexus expanding the LS line by offering a "sport" option. Its not like ALL LS vehicles drive like this and are like this. Its an option. For those that want a traditional LS, they can get it still.

Yeah,I guess you're right.I shouldn't knock it before I try it.
My son in law owned a black/cashmere LS 460 and it rode like a dream and the ML was fantastic.
Old 12-09-09, 05:36 PM
LexFather

Yeah,I guess you're right.I shouldn't knock it before I try it.
My son in law owned a black/cashmere LS 460 and it rode like a dream and the ML was fantastic.
Who knows, the next ES might offer a hybrid and/or AWD.

Old 12-10-09, 04:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Who knows, the next ES might offer a hybrid and/or AWD.
I'd be interested if AWD,hybrid no.
I don't like hybrids.I'd rather go diesel.
Old 12-10-09, 05:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I'd be interested if AWD,hybrid no.
I don't like hybrids.I'd rather go diesel.
when comparing diesels and hybrids, it is very hard to make such blanket statement. Both have similar positive points, but hybrids have more luxurious positives, making them even better for luxury cars.

When I think about it, if there was GS350 AWD Sport version, i would have probably got that. Why not get better brakes, suspension from factory at relativly low cost?

I vote for them offering Sport packages from start next time, that way they will design the car for them.

p.s. LS would receive 500% increase of sales in Europe if they offered LS450h.
Old 12-10-09, 05:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus' marketing department miss the target on this one, they should have made a sport edition GS model 1st. Afterall, the GS is suppose to be their sport sedan and there is not much sportiness in the GS. After that, they should have made the GS-F and then consider making a LS sport edition or even a LS-F. To mod a LS like some high teenager and call it sport edition just do not cut it for me. The engine, suspension, major body component should be all upgarded and I am not talking about body kits, big brake kits and a new grill.
Old 12-10-09, 05:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
when comparing diesels and hybrids, it is very hard to make such blanket statement. Both have similar positive points, but hybrids have more luxurious positives, making them even better for luxury cars.

When I think about it, if there was GS350 AWD Sport version, i would have probably got that. Why not get better brakes, suspension from factory at relativly low cost?

I vote for them offering Sport packages from start next time, that way they will design the car for them.

p.s. LS would receive 500% increase of sales in Europe if they offered LS450h.
As you know,today's deisels aren't the noisy smoking engines from the past.
They work well in luxury cars and produce very good power.
Just check out the power of the small 3.0L TT in the 335d.265HP and a whopping 425lbs of torque.The 335d is a couple of tenths slower 0-60 and in the 1/4 than the 335i.

No doubt sport packages are great in most cars but I just can't see one in a LS 460.The car is a big smooth riding boat.Maybe I'll feel differently when I see one.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-10-09 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-10-09, 07:21 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lexus' marketing department miss the target on this one, they should have made a sport edition GS model 1st. Afterall, the GS is suppose to be their sport sedan and there is not much sportiness in the GS. After that, they should have made the GS-F and then consider making a LS sport edition or even a LS-F. To mod a LS like some high teenager and call it sport edition just do not cut it for me. The engine, suspension, major body component should be all upgarded and I am not talking about body kits, big brake kits and a new grill.
When you consider how significantly the LS outsells the GS, you begin to realize why the LS got this treatment instead. Not to mention the GS is due for a redesign sooner, and has really been dead on the vine since about 2007.
Old 12-10-09, 07:32 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's also important to realize that these companies build cars to sell to consumers, not solely to mutilate each other in a road test.

There is a lot of loyalty in the flagship arena and someone who owns an LS, S, or 7 may not really be willing to jump ship for another brand. You hear from plenty of people who used to own a 7 series but bought an LS because the maintenance costs were so much cheaper. It never fails that they mention the driver experience with the BMW, but say they won't sacrefice the reliability of the LS just to get it. BINGO LS Sport- you can have your cake and eat it too.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear of an ex- LS 600hL owner who went to the ActiveHybrid 7. Maybe the guy is a techno wiz and went to Lexus solely because they were first one with a flagship hybrid. Turns out he is a driving enthusiast and really wants the driver experience of the 7 and thought the 600hL was boring. Perfect entry: Hybrid 7. Does that make the ActiveHybrid 7 stupid and useless- because it doesn't fit in with BMW's image? No. It's a great way to elevate the 7 series and attract a few new customers.

The same thing goes for the Merc S550 Sport. These cars are built to cover niches within their own customer base, not necessarily to dethrone a competitor. Sales rule at the end of the day, and if Lexus can keep an additional 500 or 1,000 owners in-house because they made a sport package then they have achieved their goal.
Old 12-10-09, 08:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

what makes 7 ActiveHybrid stupid is that it is glorifed start/stop system, not that it is BMW's Hybrid ;-). If it was full hybrid like one in X6, big thumbs up from me.
Old 12-10-09, 09:45 AM
LexFather

GS F-sport...

I agree that like L-tuned, Lexus AND dealerships are dropping the ball with F-sport. Marketing has been minimal and there is again, no awareness of these parts for a Lexus.

Your other criticisms are unfounded as the car is doing well in its reviews. However, you think the new A8 doesn't look like the A4 and its some amazing feat so.......

Old 12-10-09, 09:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

GS F-sport...

I agree that like L-tuned, Lexus AND dealerships are dropping the ball with F-sport. Marketing has been minimal and there is again, no awareness of these parts for a Lexus.

Your other criticisms are unfounded as the car is doing well in its reviews. However, you think the new A8 doesn't look like the A4 and its some amazing feat so.......
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think I ever said the A8 doesn’t look similar to the A4's profile. I think it’s normal to have some family resemblance in a line up of cars. BMW's sedans look a lot alike, so do Lexus. Take a look at the these pictures of a ES compare to a LS.
Attached Thumbnails IL Track Test: 2010 LS 460 Sport vs. 2009 750i Sport-lexus_09es_sideview_large.jpg   IL Track Test: 2010 LS 460 Sport vs. 2009 750i Sport-lexus_09ls_sideview_large.jpg  

Last edited by The G Man; 12-10-09 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-10-09, 10:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,455 Likes on 1,609 Posts

lexus put up a new competitor, and against godzilla, it got spanked. does that make the ls 'sport' performance bad? no, and as has been said over and over, $14k less is a bunch. i personally can't stand the tacked on trim of the ls sport though, i think it looks terrible.

the ls sport is an incremental improvement on the 'sport' side, but i doubt lexus spent much effort really trying to compete with bmw. i don't know for sure, but my guess is lexus design is more insular/inside, looking at THEIR model and saying, how can we achieve these objectives? that's very different than saying 'how do we threaten or beat bmw'?

regardless, lexus continues it's inch by inch into sportier waters.
Old 12-10-09, 10:18 AM
LexFather

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think I ever said the A8 doesn’t look similar to the A4's profile. I think it’s normal to have some family resemblance in a line up of cars. BMW's sedans look a lot alike, so do Lexus. Take a look at the these pictures of a ES compare to a LS.
There is a difference between sharing styling cues and one style/shape, different size.

Quick Reply: IL Track Test: 2010 LS 460 Sport vs. 2009 750i Sport