Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IL Track Test: 2010 LS 460 Sport vs. 2009 750i Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-09, 10:20 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happens again...an LS460 model finishes behind the pack.
Old 12-10-09, 10:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
It happens again...an LS460 model finishes behind the pack.
One car is the pack? A one on one comparison is "the pack"????? As bitkahuna stated did ANYONE expect it to beat the 7 sport? No.

The LS sport is not some autobahn ripper and is not advertised as such.

Old 12-10-09, 10:28 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
One car is the pack? As bitkahuna stated did ANYONE expect it to beat the 7 sport? No.
I expected it to at least be on par...I actually expected it to get a little closer to the 5.8 secs 0-60mph of the LS460 reviewed by Edmunds in 2007.
Old 12-10-09, 10:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There is a difference between sharing styling cues and one style/shape, different size.
You did look at those 2 pictures I posted of the ES and the LS right? I know they dont look that much alike in person but in those 2 pictures, they look very similar. My point is, pictures do not tell the whole story, wait till you see the A8 in person and then decide for yourself.
Old 12-10-09, 11:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

One car is the pack? A one on one comparison is "the pack"????? As bitkahuna stated did ANYONE expect it to beat the 7 sport? No.

The LS sport is not some autobahn ripper and is not advertised as such.
Small pack, eh?

CR rates the LS at 99 out of a possible 100 points in their Road Test, making it their highest rated car. Does this mean everyone else finishes behind "the pack"??
Old 12-10-09, 11:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
CR rates the LS at 99 out of a possible 100 points in their Road Test, making it their highest rated car. Does this mean everyone else finishes behind "the pack"??
Wow, CR rating a Lexus highly? I dont think I ever seen that before If the LS was a toaster, I would take the CR's rating of the LS is little more seriously.
Old 12-10-09, 11:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lexus put up a new competitor, and against godzilla, it got spanked. does that make the ls 'sport' performance bad? no, and as has been said over and over, $14k less is a bunch. i personally can't stand the tacked on trim of the ls sport though, i think it looks terrible.

the ls sport is an incremental improvement on the 'sport' side, but i doubt lexus spent much effort really trying to compete with bmw. i don't know for sure, but my guess is lexus design is more insular/inside, looking at THEIR model and saying, how can we achieve these objectives? that's very different than saying 'how do we threaten or beat bmw'?

regardless, lexus continues it's inch by inch into sportier waters.
I agree with this.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Small pack, eh?

Yes sir, now THAT would be "the pack".

Old 12-10-09, 12:29 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with this.
Same here. Edmunds loves to put out these comparos, and sometimes they're lopsided, such as comparisons they did with the LS 600h L. But dismissing outright based on such tests is missing the point. It is almost a given that the LS Sport is not intended to outperform the 750i Sport, given its lack of engine upgrades. However it does provide a sportier driving experience than before. I've yet to see the 'shrink, drive like a smaller car' comment which could be a future goal.

As for the LS, sure it has its share of critical reviews, mostly from slalom-testing emphasis and 'fun to drive', which is why the LS Sport is needed. However, it's not just CR and JD Power that rates the LS at the top of the class. Analysis of several hundred reviews and tests for flagship sedans has found that, on average, the LS ranks at the top of the flagship class.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...ucks/Lexus_LS/

Note: this list is a dynamic one, based on running tally of scores and averages, so the rankings change regularly, the LS has been ranked #1 for a number of years, while the #2 and #3 spot have shifted, either S550, 7-series, and just now the Panamera's average score places it at second.
Old 12-10-09, 12:46 PM
LexFather

Old 12-10-09, 12:53 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think I ever said the A8 doesn’t look similar to the A4's profile. I think it’s normal to have some family resemblance in a line up of cars. BMW's sedans look a lot alike, so do Lexus. Take a look at the these pictures of a ES compare to a LS.
PLEASE....

That LS vs. ES picture has NOTHING, I mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on this:

There is a big difference between family resemblance and "one shape, different size".

Stop zee SPIN!
Old 12-10-09, 01:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

when it comes to A8, i dont know why they used A4's behind, it is worst part of design.
Old 12-10-09, 01:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Better than the ex-7 series, ex-Bangle-butt.
Old 12-11-09, 07:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
PLEASE....

That LS vs. ES picture has NOTHING, I mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on this:

There is a big difference between family resemblance and "one shape, different size".

Stop zee SPIN!
ffflower, have you see the new A8 in person? I didnt think so. The old A8 looks like the old A4 in pictures too, but you can tell them apart in real life. Of course if we are talking about a A6L compare to a A8, then they are very much alike except for the interior and the mechanicals.
Old 12-11-09, 07:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Audi doesn't even compete sales-wise with the S, LS, 7 cars.
Old 12-11-09, 08:10 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
ffflower, have you see the new A8 in person? I didnt think so. The old A8 looks like the old A4 in pictures too, but you can tell them apart in real life. Of course if we are talking about a A6L compare to a A8, then they are very much alike except for the interior and the mechanicals.
Yes, I can tell apart Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen when I look at them long enough...

Quick Reply: IL Track Test: 2010 LS 460 Sport vs. 2009 750i Sport