Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IL Track Test: 2010 LS 460 Sport vs. 2009 750i Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 08:18 AM
FinalBurst
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does the A8 have to do with this thread?
The A8 looks very similar to the A4. And? I don't know why we Lexus fans are complaining about design..

1. The former and current GX's exteriors are rebadged Toyota's.
2. The HS was universally panned for looking like a Corolla...only to have Toyota release a version of the HS that's a near duplicate of it.
3. http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/09/i...-lexus-ls460l/
Old 12-11-09, 08:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think I ever said the A8 doesn’t look similar to the A4's profile. I think it’s normal to have some family resemblance in a line up of cars. BMW's sedans look a lot alike, so do Lexus. Take a look at the these pictures of a ES compare to a LS.
The two cars do look a lot alike from the side, especially now that the 2010 ES has the chrome molding running along the bottom of the doors and different wheels. Out on the street though, where you see the cars at different angles it's easy, to me at least, to tell them apart. Interesting shots.
Old 12-11-09, 08:40 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

ffflower, have you see the new A8 in person? I didnt think so. The old A8 looks like the old A4 in pictures too, but you can tell them apart in real life. Of course if we are talking about a A6L compare to a A8, then they are very much alike except for the interior and the mechanicals.
I was at the world debut of the new A8 at the LA Auto Show last week. I almost walked right by the new A8 until my friend mentioned it to me. There is no doubt the A8 is an Audi. In person, it certainly looks like a more wider and elongated A4. I am a fan of Audi designs, but there is not much change in the overall design or body lines between the A4 and A8. It's pretty safe to say Audi didn't spend much in designing this car. There isn't anything wrong with that as many manufacturers have a specific design language for their cars, like Lexus with L-Finesse.
Old 12-11-09, 08:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I was at the world debut of the new A8 at the LA Auto Show last week. I almost walked right by the new A8 until my friend mentioned it to me. There is no doubt the A8 is an Audi. In person, it certainly looks like a more wider and elongated A4. I am a fan of Audi designs, but there is not much change in the overall design or body lines between the A4 and A8. It's pretty safe to say Audi didn't spend much in designing this car. There isn't anything wrong with that as many manufacturers have a specific design language for their cars, like Lexus with L-Finesse.
At least now we have a objective opinion. Cars like the A8, LS or 7 series is not design to draw attention, they are executive cars that have a conservative design. The S-class might be the only car in this class that draw a little more attention with its design.

Last edited by The G Man; 12-11-09 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-11-09, 09:11 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least now we have a objective opinion. Cars like the A8, LS or 7 series is not design to draw attention, they are executive cars that have a conservative design. The S-class might be the only car in this class that draw a little more attention with its design.
Agreed, all are conservative yet still reasonably sleek large lux sedans.
Old 12-11-09, 09:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by FinalBurst
The A8 looks very similar to the A4. And? I don't know why we Lexus fans are complaining about design..

2. The HS was universally panned for looking like a Corolla...only to have Toyota release a version of the HS that's a near duplicate of it.
we are used to Lexus to look conservative and Audis to look extravagant. People buy both for those reasons. HS has nothing to do with Corolla (other that is is an FWD car, but it shares "Avensis platform"), and yes, GX is mighty awesome ;-)
Old 12-11-09, 02:59 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by FinalBurst

Your comment should almost be deleted. So you jump in here to say "why pick on the A8 (which is at least in this class) to bring up...

The GX?
The HS?
What the heck?

How about you and EVERYONE get back on topic. LS vs 7 series.

Old 12-11-09, 10:50 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not for the current LS, no...C&D was the one which tested the LS 460 and criticized its emphasis on quiet and isolation (which shows its current viewpoint). Also, Motor Trend's test used the LS 600h L vs S550 and complained that they'd rather get the LS 460 L and pocket the cash (why not test the 460 L then? Or use the S600?). Given both of these publications' focus on performance, it's another reason why the LS 460 Sport is needed to address that niche. However, I should point out that simultaneously as the LS was criticized in these enthusiast magazines (and incidentally, getting good individual reviews from Automobile, R&T, etc), it was winning plaudits from automotive journalists, e.g. WCOTY, ICOTY awards, technical honors, etc. Thus the above US News ranking references multiple sources from Forbes to KBB to enthusiast mags.
Old 12-12-09, 01:04 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
I was at the world debut of the new A8 at the LA Auto Show last week.
Was the A8 at the LA Auto Show? I looked high and low for it (and the new 5er too) but couldn't find it. Shoot I must have missed it...