GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-09, 10:24 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe not Lexus per say but there is;

============Supercharged=================
TRD Aurion
TRD Hilux
TRD Tundra (Not exactly production but.....)

2ZZ supercharged (by lotus.. awesome packaging btw)

4A-GZE (Toyota Corolla Levin AE92 & AE101)

1G-GZE (Toyota Crown/Mark II, late 80's, up to ~92).

=============Turbocharged================

The 1st gen SC (Soarer) Was available with a Twin Turbo 2.5L Inline 6 in Japan.

Not going to bother going throught the long list of turbocharged Toyota cars though

Trust me, If Toyota want to go down that road, they will get it done.
Old 12-30-09, 10:29 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All of the other players (M,V,R,S,RS,AMG) are/will be using FI. It is time for Lexus to get on board the express train or be left at the station.
Old 12-30-09, 10:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
All of the other players (M,V,R,S,RS,AMG) are/will be using FI. It is time for Lexus to get on board the express train or be left at the station.
But those other car makers do not use reliability as their top selling point.
Old 12-30-09, 11:08 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Only if you count the IS220d.
Oops! Major brain fart on my part. How did I forget that one...?
Old 12-30-09, 12:14 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Have Lexus ever made a supercharged or turbo charged production vehicle?
The 1st gen SC and 2nd gen GS had turbo engines available in Japan and a few other markets and they have held up pretty well. The Supra turbo engine has held up very well and that powerplant is similar to what the Aristo and Soarer turbo versions had.
Old 12-30-09, 12:33 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if I agree. The 3.5L V6 competes favorably with the 3.0L TT I6 from BMW, and the same goes for the 4.6L V8 and BMW's new TT V8. The LS' motor is older and slightly less powerful, but it is certainly competitive. I don't see why Lexus couldn't contiue that trend with F cars.

With technologies like direct injection and valvematic Lexus is becoming more efficient without resorting to forced induction, strictly for power. Also consider that for some people, a turbocharger or supercharger isn't exactly a selling point with the extra maintenance and long term reliability issues. I am definitely one of those people, especially on a German car.
Old 12-30-09, 02:51 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow AutoBlog

Another country heard from – this time, a mole in Lexus of Europe has announced via the corporate Twitter account that the LFA's V10 will definitely not be going into the GS F. The supercar's 10-pot wonder is "bespoke to LFA," which is ur-English for something custom made, but in this case we'll take to mean "None of you can have this engine if you don't drive an LFA."

You'll note that the 106-character tweet deftly avoids confirming the existence of any sort of GS F in the first place – a car that has existed solely as a fairytale for nigh on three years – with the deflection, "not going to comment on those." But at least now if the GS F does come, we know what it won't have. But hey, they didn't rule out a derivative, right? Hat tip to Stan!
Old 12-30-09, 07:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I don't know if I agree. The 3.5L V6 competes favorably with the 3.0L TT I6 from BMW, and the same goes for the 4.6L V8 and BMW's new TT V8. The LS' motor is older and slightly less powerful, but it is certainly competitive. I don't see why Lexus couldn't contiue that trend with F cars.

With technologies like direct injection and valvematic Lexus is becoming more efficient without resorting to forced induction, strictly for power. Also consider that for some people, a turbocharger or supercharger isn't exactly a selling point with the extra maintenance and long term reliability issues. I am definitely one of those people, especially on a German car.
indeed.... germans do not have same targets when it comes to longetivity as Toyota/Lexus... People accept them for what they are though, but people will not accept same from Lexus.

Just like the other thread proved, it is ok for some manufacturers engines/models to spend oil... it is disaster for Toyota.

I am not saying anything bad, it is just the way it works... Toyota/Lexus sell on reliability. And looking at their GR and UR series engines, do they really need FI?

And I am not sure that FI Toyota/Lexus vehicles are not coming... I think there will be an industry pressure for that, as it is easier to get better EPA MPG ratings with 300hp FI engine than 300hp non-fi engine. It might happen when tech gets more reliable and teething troubles are out... afterall, most of this tech is in hands of suppliers, just like DSG type transmissions.
Old 12-30-09, 08:45 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Toyota will be forced Induction again some day
Old 12-31-09, 05:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
Just like the other thread proved, it is ok for some manufacturers engines/models to spend oil... it is disaster for Toyota.
Its like that old girl friend, she might not be the best looking girl but she sure is good in bed
Old 12-31-09, 07:06 AM
LexFather

I told yall this was not going to happen. The engine costs as much as some of the cars in this class. It is completely hand built. Did you really think it was going into another car and **** off 500 people dropping 400k for it?

And they all pay gas guzller taxes....Lexus believes in its full hybrid tech and the IS-F is the first....Rome was not built in a day.

Old 12-31-09, 07:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, welcome back 1SICKLEX, we miss you
Old 12-31-09, 08:02 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And they all pay gas guzller taxes....Lexus believes in its full hybrid tech and the IS-F is the first....Rome was not built in a day.
This arena of vehicle is supposed to consist of no holds barred, miser free, non conservative performance machines. Gas guzzler tax? Why would anyone who seeks these tyopes of machines care about something as miniscule as gas guzzler tax unless they are pinching pennies?? This GS-F engine should have a blower & be after market friendly. I guess I am so animated about this because I am not the conservative type & would love to see Lexus go ***** out with their vehicles.

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 12-31-09 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-31-09, 10:34 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd love to see Lexus go ***** out with their vehicles as well, but I'd rather see huge displacement engines instead of turbos. Just too many potential problems that can be caused by turbos, and maintenance and repairs become way too complex.
Old 12-31-09, 10:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I'd love to see Lexus go ***** out with their vehicles as well, but I'd rather see huge displacement engines instead of turbos. Just too many potential problems that can be caused by turbos, and maintenance and repairs become way too complex.
I agree.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)