Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Ward's 10 Best Engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-09, 12:07 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Ford Motor Co.: 3.5L EcoBoost Turbocharged DOHC V-6 (Ford Taurus SHO)

Isn't that a new Ford engine?
If so,how can it be a award winner without any track record for reliability and such?
I don't think it's a record exclusively of reliability or dependability. If that were the case, you'd be hard pressed to have the VWAG products in that list. While they are quite reliable, their dependability is quite random. I've heard a lot of horror stories, personally.
Old 12-10-09, 12:09 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I don't think it's a record exclusively of reliability or dependability. If that were the case, you'd be hard pressed to have the VWAG products in that list. While they are quite reliable, their dependability is quite random. I've heard a lot of horror stories, personally.
I see,thanks.
Old 12-10-09, 12:12 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The Ward's 10 best engine is more for performance than relaibility. Look at all the german engines on that list, do you really think they rate relaibility?
Yeah,I now remember the BMW N 54 TT 3.0L was on that list last year.
The N 54 with high pressure fuel pump,fuel injectors,wastegates etc issue.
Other than that,it's a great engine.
Funny thing is that the same engine is in the 328 without the complex components and is a very good engine.
Old 12-10-09, 12:24 PM
LexFather

Good point though...should reliability be a factor? Is it?

Old 12-10-09, 12:28 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Here are the criterias:

Throughout October and November, six editors of Ward’s Automotive Group tested 34 vehicles from 13 auto makers in their normal driving cycles in metro Detroit. They scored each engine based on horsepower, torque, refinement, technical relevance and comparative data. Each engine was evaluated because it was all-new, offered significant technology upgrades or was a returning winner from last year.
Old 12-10-09, 12:54 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't think it should. There are not many engines out there that are very reliable and phenomenal to exploit at the same time. Look at exotics.

In retrospect I'm probably just saying that because I own exotics.
Old 12-10-09, 01:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given that "each engine was evaluated because it was all-new offered significant technology upgrades or was a returning winner from last year", I'm not surprised that reliability is not part of criteria. Some of the newest engines are too new to have a reliability record.
Old 12-10-09, 01:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Given that "each engine was evaluated because it was all-new offered significant technology upgrades or was a returning winner from last year", I'm not surprised that reliability is not part of criteria. Some of the newest engines are too new to have a reliability record.
Not only that, but, outside of Consumer Reports, few organizations in America have much credible data on engine reliability. J.D. Power, for example, goes into vehicle reliability for certain time periods (Initial, 90-day, 1-year, 3-year, etc.....) but generally doesn't break it down into vehicle components. Some of the auto enthusiast magazines have the so-called "Four Seasons" test where they keep a test car for one year or 50,000 miles to test durability, but that is for only a few of their fleet each year.
Old 12-10-09, 01:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not only that, but, outside of Consumer Reports, few organizations in America have much credible data on engine reliability. J.D. Power, for example, goes into vehicle reliability for certain time periods (Initial, 90-day, 1-year, 3-year, etc.....) but generally doesn't break it down into vehicle components. Some of the auto enthusiast magazines have the so-called "Four Seasons" test where they keep a test car for one year or 50,000 miles to test durability, but that is for only a few of their fleet each year.
Agreed, credible sources for reliability data are limited as you pointed out above and all of those add value for potential buyers.

(So of course we end up gathering feedback from our auto owners/friends/families and posters on Club Lexus too.)
Old 12-10-09, 03:11 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
;-).Maybe you will drive it on Autobahn... oh snap, they dont sell Genesis in Germany... but they could!

My memory might be a bit vague here, but I recall reading about plans from Hyundai to sell the Genesis sedan in Europe a few weeks ago. What exactly they mean by "Europe" is unclear since, as far as I know, Infiniti only sells their cars in Russia but mentions "European sales" in their press releases.

As impressive as the Genesis is, I don't think it would do well in Europe at all. The simple fact is that people with money consider brands they are familiar with and brands that have status and prestige (and the appealing engine options). A V6 or V8 Genesis will be in the same boat as Cadillac and to an extent Lexus in Europe: hardly considered.
Old 12-10-09, 03:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
My memory might be a bit vague here, but I recall reading about plans from Hyundai to sell the Genesis sedan in Europe a few weeks ago. What exactly they mean by "Europe" is unclear since, as far as I know, Infiniti only sells their cars in Russia but mentions "European sales" in their press releases.

As impressive as the Genesis is, I don't think it would do well in Europe at all. The simple fact is that people with money consider brands they are familiar with and brands that have status and prestige (and the appealing engine options). A V6 or V8 Genesis will be in the same boat as Cadillac and to an extent Lexus in Europe: hardly considered.
Image matters more in Europe than here. No way an expensive Genesis will be bought by anyone there. I agree with you 100%

Old 12-10-09, 04:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

genesis (and sonata as well) are also very much designed for american market. big buttons, shiny plastics, simple interior design does not work for europeans.
Old 12-10-09, 05:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even Consumer Reports does not truly represent reliability data. They have to take what people will give them. Not everyone responds and not everyone uses the same frame of reference for their very subjective evaluations. The reality is, only the manufacturers have anything approaching decent reliability data, and none of them are talking.

As a side note, I once got some very sage advice from a Toyota service manager about how to find the common failure item in your Toyota (but it applies to all brands.) Ask which parts are in stock at the parts counter and you'll find the common failure points.

He advised me of this when I was just about to purchase an EGR valve ($238) for a Camry the wife owned because the diagnostics I'd run pointed to an EGR failure. What I didn't realize was there is a VSV ($59) controlling the EGR that commonly fails - and it was in stock where the EGR itself would have been a special order.
Old 12-10-09, 06:43 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Infiniti also sells in the UK, France, and Poland as of last year.
Old 12-10-09, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Even Consumer Reports does not truly represent reliability data. They have to take what people will give them. Not everyone responds and not everyone uses the same frame of reference for their very subjective evaluations. The reality is, only the manufacturers have anything approaching decent reliability data, and none of them are talking.
The manufacturers DO talk about unreliable parts, to some extent, when it comes to TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins), recalls, and free extended warranties. They also provide much of that data to companies like All-Data and Mitchell-on-Demand. I'm sure, as an engine builder/technician, that you were familiar with at least some of that.

Quick Reply: 2010 Ward's 10 Best Engines