Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia K9 super sedan sneak peeked in Seoul

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-09, 09:59 AM
LexFather

Post Kia K9 super sedan sneak peeked in Seoul

Kia and Hyundai, is smart luxury before smart luxury V-8s are not dead!!

http://www.autoblog.com/page/3/

When the Volkswagen Phaeton launched here in the States, nobody liked it. Well, that's not true. Every journalist we know who drove the mighty VW went on and on about how it's probably actually the greatest car in the world (especially all decked out with a W12 engine) and how the HVAC system is a full generation ahead of the competition (you can't beat in-car radiators!) and how the seats so awesomely massaged their fat butts. That said, it was still a terrible car in terms of branding, marketing, etc. And now we have no Phaeton.

Then came the Hyundai Genesis. The big sedan version with the Tau (whatever that means) 4.6-liter V8. "Hmmm," our motor-mouthed brethren chimed. "Hyundai might just be on to something here." Lots of good ink got spilled in the Genesis's general direction and the Mercedes-Benz lookalike Korean luxury car got picked as the 2009 North American Car of the Year. It even appears to be selling. How things change.

Well guess what? Kia wants in. AboutCAR caught a glimpse of the proposed Kia K9 at a design conference in Seoul. Standing next to the proposed super sedan is Peter Schreyer, best known for designing the original Audi TT, he is now Kia's chief of design. Should the K9 show up, expect it to arrive in the U.S. with a Genesis-sourced chassis and a big fat V8. Other parts of the world will get other engines. Will it work? As Hyundai America CEO and President John Krafcik told us at the LA Auto Show when he was asked which he liked better, the new Sonata or Tucson, "I just really love my Genesis." And there you have it.

Old 12-10-09, 10:01 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't call it a "super sedan", just a luxury sedan in the same class as the Genesis. Looks good from the sketch though, way better than the Genesis.
Old 12-10-09, 10:23 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Non-luxury V8s are a tough sell: Ford Taurus (doing o.k.), Pontiac G8 (dead), Chrysler 300 Hemi (meh), Dodge Charger RT (meh), Mercury and Buick are ultra-low-volume, the Japanese keep the V8 in their luxury divisions. And Kia thinks it's gonna pull off what the Genesis couldn't? I don't think so.

It will sell well in Korea. It will have a tough time outside of it...
Old 12-10-09, 10:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i doubt it will sell well anywhere, it is their showpiece.
Old 12-10-09, 07:15 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

it's about time Kia has their halo.
Old 12-10-09, 07:17 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Kia k9?...I think it should look like this

Old 12-10-09, 09:49 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

well k9 is a code name. it won't be an actual name..