Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LA Autoshow comments...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-09 | 10:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by madoka
IMHO, I was pretty disappointed by the Equus. I thought it would be more luxurious and refined. Rather, it struck me as a more upscale Genesis. I don't think people will buy it over a LS460 unless they keep the price as close to $50K as possible.
i also left with similar kind of thinking. but i give them credit for making it happen, it's like a step in the right direction. i actually first saw equus few months ago on the road (manufacturer car), i don't know if they have a lwb version of this car? it somehow got more presence.
Old 12-12-09 | 10:39 AM
GS3Tek

Nice summary

Glad to hear about the sienna. No, keep it a toyota, no need for a lexus badge

Yeah, I wouldn't waste my time at the acura booth.
Out of all the acura cars, the tsx is the least offensive.

Heck, hyundai has better offerings than acuras. I see myself staring at the Equus a couple of times on the street
Sad to hear the interior is not up to par.

What about MBs?

Is porsche still snobby and not let anyone get in?
Old 12-12-09 | 11:03 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

I went yesterday.

I have some pics.

1. Mazda 2.

3. sign up for email with Mazda (I'm already on their mailing list, so what the hell) and get a free energy drink!

4. Our beloved/hated

10. Jaguar Bowers & Wilkins Stereo.
Old 12-12-09 | 11:07 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

11. BMW Vision EfficientDynamics. what strange little thing.

12. Best display ever.

13. Audi "we-are-not-green" electric E-Tron

14. Chevrolet Caprice Police Cruiser

15. VW's display. I always like VW's show display.

16. Rolls Royce Ghost

17. The ever-famous Spirit of Ecstasy on the Phantom.

18. Fisker Karma!

19. Sex.

20. The debuting GT3 RS, tucked away in a corner.
Old 12-12-09 | 11:14 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
What about MBs?

Is porsche still snobby and not let anyone get in?
The New E Class, underwhelming. Same for the E Class Coupe. It's very weird since I liked it on the road.

The S Class, I sat in it...and it's the first car I've ever sat it that belittled me....

Porsche had a Panamera open. It's nice inside, complete with the 1.37 million buttons on the dash. Some other models were open but I couldn't be bothered.
Old 12-12-09 | 04:13 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
il reserve my comments about the show to first ask:

who saw the completely jacked up 2GS in Kentia hall (white one) with the Bentley front end and LS460 tail lights? that was probably the worst assembled car i've ever seen in my entire life.

pics will follow.

i have to see this.

waiting for pics.
Old 12-12-09 | 10:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by whoster
The New E Class, underwhelming. Same for the E Class Coupe. It's very weird since I liked it on the road.

The S Class, I sat in it...and it's the first car I've ever sat it that belittled me....

Porsche had a Panamera open. It's nice inside, complete with the 1.37 million buttons on the dash. Some other models were open but I couldn't be bothered.
i sat in the panamera and couldn't get myself to like the car at all

my wife hate pretty much everything about it, haha
Old 12-12-09 | 10:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i sat in the panamera and couldn't get myself to like the car at all

my wife hate pretty much everything about it, haha
What part of it did you not like? I struggled with the rear end. But I thought the dash was classy, in a Jag sort of way. It's a huge car btw.
Old 12-12-09 | 10:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

to me, for exterior, i am ok with the front (typical porsche), but the rear (starting from rear doors) looks weird. for interior, i am ok with the dash cluster, but the center console, all the buttons, layout, etc... i just think they aren't appealing at all

and it was really funny to see how my wife hates just about every part of the car. she kept on asking why the hell would porsche come out with this sedan
Old 12-12-09 | 11:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whoster

Well said on the new E. It really is boring. The back end styling is extremely generic. Mercedes interiors still look blocky and pieced together. Memo to Mercedes: the word "Curve."

Also forgot to mention the new Audi A8, or lack therof. Audi chooses an art studio in Miami two weeks ago to debut it but forgoes the LA autoshow? Again, you wonder who runs these companies. Was really hoping to study it in person.
Old 12-12-09 | 11:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

great shots
Old 12-13-09 | 06:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

with so much information out there, and so many opinions and criticism of everything, it's a wonder any vehicles ever get sold.
Old 12-13-09 | 10:05 AM
LexFather

Whoster great shots and feedback!
Old 12-13-09 | 11:33 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Went back to the auto show for a second day last night. Found a Sonata that they had open. Having sat in a Camry, Accord and a Ford Fusion, the Sonata simply blows them away. It wasn't even a contest.

Interior materials and features were WAY, way better. The Ford Fusion had shockingly poor materials. Lots of hard, flimsy plastic. The Accord and Camry didn't feel nice until you got to over $30,000 and then you're competing against low end Genesis sedans. The Sonata is going to be priced lower than the competition, have a better warranty, has best in class mileage, and best in class HP. In the last reliability survey I saw, Hyundai came in fourth out of all brands. Only Lexus, Porsche, and Cadillac beat it. And for the patriots, it was designed in Irvine, CA and built in Alabama.

I think Toyota, Honda, and Nissan should really, really be worried.

I also sat in the Equus again. Found that the rear table (very Jaguar XJ like) was broken. Doh! And all the spectators mocked/laughed at the hood ornament. I think they still have a ways to go before people will feel comfortable dropping $60,000+ on their cars.

BTW, I went to a Hyundai dealer last month to test drive the Genesis. Without any negotiation, they offered the V-8 fully loaded with the tech package for $200 over invoice. I was pretty surprised at that. But now with current incentives, it's possible to get this car for even cheaper at about $39,000.
Old 12-13-09 | 09:59 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by madoka
Went back to the auto show for a second day last night. Found a Sonata that they had open. Having sat in a Camry, Accord and a Ford Fusion, the Sonata simply blows them away. It wasn't even a contest.

Interior materials and features were WAY, way better. The Ford Fusion had shockingly poor materials. Lots of hard, flimsy plastic. The Accord and Camry didn't feel nice until you got to over $30,000 and then you're competing against low end Genesis sedans. The Sonata is going to be priced lower than the competition, have a better warranty, has best in class mileage, and best in class HP. In the last reliability survey I saw, Hyundai came in fourth out of all brands. Only Lexus, Porsche, and Cadillac beat it. And for the patriots, it was designed in Irvine, CA and built in Alabama.

I think Toyota, Honda, and Nissan should really, really be worried.

I also sat in the Equus again. Found that the rear table (very Jaguar XJ like) was broken. Doh! And all the spectators mocked/laughed at the hood ornament. I think they still have a ways to go before people will feel comfortable dropping $60,000+ on their cars.

BTW, I went to a Hyundai dealer last month to test drive the Genesis. Without any negotiation, they offered the V-8 fully loaded with the tech package for $200 over invoice. I was pretty surprised at that. But now with current incentives, it's possible to get this car for even cheaper at about $39,000.
While I thought the Sonata was slightly overstyled, it definitely was a winning car. I rather have the extra lines than no lines at all. Of course, out of fairness, the Accord/Camry/Altima are all a few years old now and there is a good chance the next models will be as dynamic as the new Sonata or more. This is often the result of the latest being the greatest until the next thing comes along. But I do root for the Hyundai and want them to shake up the segment. The Accord needs some sense knocked into it, so this could help jumpstart that.
I guess I'm getting old, but I thought the flying hood ornament was the coolest thing! It was Boss Hogg PIMP! lol My dad thought it ruined the whole car though.
I don't see many Genesis's on the road. The heavy discount does not surprise me. I dont' think the lower flanks of the side have enough presence. The car just kind of curves in toward the ground and it looks thin and light. Big luxo cars need to show some mass and flair as they get closer to the ground. The Ford 500 suffered from the same body miscue, causing the leading edge of the rear wheels to be exposed.
Props to you for going two times!

Quick Reply: LA Autoshow comments...