Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future Cop Cars To Watch For..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 02:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Provincial police has like ten or so Charger SRT8's around here. If you look close enough, you can see our tax dollars coming out the tailpipes.
The SRT8, of course, has a good power-to-weight ratio to help the cops run down speeders, but in general, most of the cops I've talked with aren't impressed with the police-spec Chargers and Impalas. They like their Crown Vics.
Old 12-11-09, 02:12 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The SRT8, of course, has a good power-to-weight ratio to help the cops run down speeders, but in general, most of the cops I've talked with aren't impressed with the police-spec Chargers and Impalas. They like their Crown Vics.
I don't know, they seem to have this big smile on their faces when they catch up to my F.
Old 12-11-09, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't know, they seem to have this big smile on their faces when they catch up to my F.
Oh, yes, the SRT8 is good for chasing down speeders, but its unibody frame doesn't have the kind of durability that the Crown Vic's full-ladder frame does. Police have to sometimes chase speeders over less-than-perfect surfaces (good examples are in the TV show COPS and other shows like "Greatest Police Chases" and Tru-TV).

Some years ago, a ex-neighbor of mine, for example, was a VA State trooper. The state had just given him a brand-new, police-spec, Chevy Caprice (a full-sized, 5.7L V8, ladder-frame car similiar to the Crown Vic......in VA, state troopers own and operate their own cruisers). He had to chase down a minivan full of drugs across a plowed field. (He got 'em, and made a BIG drug bust that made the local papers). But, afterward, that car, as expected, was a filthy mess....dirt and plants caked all over the place, underneath and in the wheel wells. I cleaned it up for him (throughly) as a favor, as he was a friend of mine, got all the dirt and gunk out, and was amazed at the lack of (apparant) damage to the underpinnings. Try that with a unibody car like the Impala or Charger, and you'll probably bend or break a number of things underneath.
Old 12-11-09, 02:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, many cab drivers still prefer the Crown Vic for the same durability reasons listed above.
Old 12-11-09, 02:51 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I think it's a given that these Chargers are fitted with a police pack which includes much tougher components underneath.
Old 12-11-09, 02:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I think it's a given that these Chargers are fitted with a police pack which includes much tougher components underneath.
No doubt but for offroading (like a Wrangler) the body on frame is best, even if it drives like a hog on the street.

Last edited by IS-SV; 12-11-09 at 03:12 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-11-09, 04:50 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about something like this:

So I can do something like this:

Old 12-11-09, 05:27 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

There are already dozens of cop cars in Vancouver that aren't Crown Vics. Lots of them are Fusions, Tahoes are probably the next most common, but we have a fair number of interesting 'specialty' cop cars too.
Old 12-11-09, 07:47 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

What are they going to do with an IS......arrest kiddies and midgets? The IS back seat is notoriously cramped.
Hehe but if it's criminals going to the back seat, then that's fine. They shouldn't receive any form of special treatment given that they've done something criminal or illegal in the first place......

I say let them bear with it
Old 12-11-09, 07:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have noticed less cops on the freeways in AZ now that they have the damn speed cameras on the freeway
Old 12-11-09, 09:42 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by felixsc300
How about something like this:

So I can do something like this:

That's horrible. I remember they had a special on the Discovery Channel about countries' super police cars... the policeman that drives this Lambo was just plain awesome.
Old 12-11-09, 11:47 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Do not break the law people......
Old 12-12-09, 12:15 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i heard that the italian police lambo got wrecked but da-yummm
Old 12-13-09, 08:13 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

I've driven both the Police Charger and Police Vic....not only does the Charger do better on paper but the Charger felt better than the Vic. The Charger obviously accelerates reasonably faster, brakes are better, has more trunk room...the list goes on. I also know a lot of LEO's that prefer the Crown Vic...I dont get it....definitely gets the job done though.
Old 12-14-09, 08:09 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

here in kuwait we have the crown vics, we also have chargers, but we also have 540 bmw's and those make awsome cop cars!!!!

Quick Reply: Future Cop Cars To Watch For..