Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking for a car with SPACE

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 04:26 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Looking for a car with SPACE

So currently I'm sending some feelers out for a new car, originally (and still) I wanted to get an SC400, however we all know that this car is horrible in usable space. I'm looking for a car to haul speakers (PA speakers) and my whole DJ rig (lights and all) in, and yet do not want to sacrifice 'fun' or too much comfort. Basically no SUVs or trucks, I want a hatchbacky car, and the ones that come up is a Scion xB, a Subaru WRX STI or a Mazdaspeed3. I know 'comfort' and STI probably don't go hand in hand, but I think I would make an exception. The LF-Ch has come across my mind as well, but I don't think I want to spend that much since this car is probably going to take a beating. This car will end up being a DD as well. The xB probably wins hands down on the gas mileage department, and that is probably something to seriously consider, but like I said, I do want something that is fun. What other cars fit this criteria? Or should I just fork out like 5 to 10k and get a rapist van and use that as the hauler?
Old 12-11-09, 04:38 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nissan Cube.

2010 GTI.
Old 12-11-09, 04:41 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Originally Posted by felixsc300
Nissan Cube.

2010 GTI.

I was looking at the GTI or R32 but don't want to deal with the BS electrical issues that I hear about them.

Nissan Cube ehhhh........ haven to take a look at that and see what it has to offer in terms of pricing/features, it's a real fugly car IMHO.
Old 12-11-09, 04:43 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your looking at WRX's look at the Ralliart Sportback, the speed 3 is a great car quick car that you cant go wrong with. I would also look at the MK 6 GTi.
Old 12-11-09, 04:46 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
I was looking at the GTI or R32 but don't want to deal with the BS electrical issues that I hear about them.

Nissan Cube ehhhh........ haven to take a look at that and see what it has to offer in terms of pricing/features, it's a real fugly car IMHO.
You could consider a lease on the GTI. It might be too early for VW to lease a 2010 model, idk, but it's one hell of a machine.

As for the Cube, I agree with your statement.

Here's another one. Toyota Matrix S/XRS. Better and less common than the xB IMO. I rented one for 4 days, it's very practical and does its job very well. There's an extensive use of plastic in the interior, but it's expected for that price category.

Old 12-11-09, 04:48 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and the Audi A3, though it's related to the GTI.

Old 12-11-09, 04:51 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Get a CPO 2008 or a 2009 Mazda3 hatchback Grand Touring model. You will not be disappointed . The reason I say to get an 08/09 versus a 10 is because for one the new Mazda3's styling is controversial, and it's a first year car so you might want to wait to see if there are any of the usual first year issues and headaches

Old 12-11-09, 04:53 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

I concur with (Cj)'s opinion on the 3. Alas, the happy Siamese cat look:

Old 12-11-09, 04:55 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Get a CPO 2008 or a 2009 Mazda3 hatchback Grand Touring model. You will not be disappointed . The reason I say to get an 08/09 versus a 10 is because for one the new Mazda3's styling is controversial, and it's a first year car so you might want to wait to see if there are any of the usual first year issues and headaches

Why is it controversial? I understand waiting since the new models just came out, but why a GT over the Speed3?

Looks like the ralliart seems to be alright, but a speed3 is so much cheaper than that, and faster... is there something I should know about the speed3? How is it so cheap haha.

Is the matrix a 'fun' car to drive though? Isn't it essentially a Camry hatch?
Old 12-11-09, 05:18 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Man, the Mazdaspeed3 is such a bang for buck car!
Old 12-11-09, 05:20 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Why is it controversial? I understand waiting since the new models just came out, but why a GT over the Speed3?

Looks like the ralliart seems to be alright, but a speed3 is so much cheaper than that, and faster... is there something I should know about the speed3? How is it so cheap haha.

It's more of a Corolla hatch/wagon. Same as the Pontiac Vibe.
Old 12-11-09, 05:27 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Speed3 is alright, but it's a lot of horsepower for a FWD. The Ralliart is AWD, so that's why it's more expensive. AWD handles the horsepower better as well. But you can get a Speed3. I don't know of any mechanical issues and they're really fast and still fun to drive even though their FWD

I thought you might like the GT because it's more comfortable and more luxurious than the Speed3 but if you want a nice performance hothatch (thats reliable and affordable) you can't beat the Speed3.

There's a sport model for the Matrix but I've never driven the Matrix so I don't know about sportiness.
Old 12-11-09, 05:30 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It's more of a Corolla hatch/wagon. Same as the Pontiac Vibe.
Right, that's what I meant. Thanks for the correction.

Right now the STI seems like a very, very expensive car compared to what was listed. Around 36k for it as compared to everyone else which is from low 20k to mid 20ks, than again the AWD is very good.

Does VW really have the electrical issues? I'm not looking to lease, I drive too much to lease a car.

The Jetta Sportswagen TDI or the Golf TDI caught my eye too....
Old 12-11-09, 05:35 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Subaru Legacy Hatch
Old 12-11-09, 05:38 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Speed3 is alright, but it's a lot of horsepower for a FWD. The Ralliart is AWD, so that's why it's more expensive. AWD handles the horsepower better as well. But you can get a Speed3. I don't know of any mechanical issues and they're really fast and still fun to drive even though their FWD

I thought you might like the GT because it's more comfortable and more luxurious than the Speed3 but if you want a nice performance hothatch (thats reliable and affordable) you can't beat the Speed3.

There's a sport model for the Matrix but I've never driven the Matrix so I don't know about sportiness.
I just was on the Mitsubishi 'price compare' thing on their site and I compared the 2009 Speed3 which has the sport trim and GT trim, however the 2010 didn't have this, interesting... I forgot that the Ralliart is AWD, that's a good point, and also makes me want it as a cheap replacement for an STI, except I don't think the Ralliart comes in a 5 speed stick, only paddle

Quick Reply: Looking for a car with SPACE