Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 JD Power Customer Retention Study

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-09, 03:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Their retention rate was still pretty high even at their worst time due to their established name and history, so when there are some evidence their quality has improved the past couple years, it's not surprising their retention rate would rise even further.
yup, that's pretty much what happens. no matter what, you gotta give mb credit for that

and i think lexus has some ground to make up here
Old 12-14-09, 04:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Benz #1?
I've read and heard that MB's had some mechanical issues the last few years.
So much for that rumor.
With all the Buick hype,it's hard to believe Buick is at the bottom.
Infinity is surprising too.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-14-09 at 04:24 AM.
Old 12-14-09, 04:42 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Benz #1?
So much for that rumor.
Well Benz has always been highly desirable, its hard for people to leave and go elsewhere. Benz also has a very diversified lineup so if you need a SUV or want a coupe or want something powerful you can stay with the brand.

Old 12-14-09, 06:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well Benz has always been highly desirable, its hard for people to leave and go elsewhere. Benz also has a very diversified lineup so if you need a SUV or want a coupe or want something powerful you can stay with the brand.

For those who like a soft, cushy ride, it's hard to beat the non-AMG S-Class, but, unless a soft ride is your priority, much of the Mercedes addiction can be cured by taking one quick trip around the block in a BMW. Once you've experienced the BMW steering/chassis, it's hard to go back to a Merc, though I have to admit that the E63 I reviewed had some pretty impressive power.
Old 12-14-09, 07:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having experienced both BMW and Mercedes, Mercedes will usually be preferred choice for those seeking ride quality and solid structure. Of course that observation is very subjective and therefore of limited usefulness.
Old 12-14-09, 07:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Which is exactly what the brand retention statistics are backing up in this thread.
Old 12-14-09, 07:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Many Mercedes models have become true classics worth $$$.. I would hang on to tri star cars too. I would love to grab a clean Mercedes190 E 2.6 16V. Cosworth did a job with this car & it will be worth $$$ further down the line..

The 500E co developed with Porshe is another machine I would not mind having.
Old 12-14-09, 07:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Benz #1?
So much for that rumor.
I was surprised at the Buick ranking too. I thought with the older, conservative buyer that the brand appeals too, that they'd have a higher retention rate/repeat buyer. I guess not.
Old 12-14-09, 08:03 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I was surprised at the Buick ranking too. I thought with the older, conservative buyer that the brand appeals too, that they'd have a higher retention rate/repeat buyer. I guess not.
IMO, I'm not surprised at all. Also keep in mind that appealing to the older, convervative market is dealing with a slow growth market (due to death, illness, loss of license, infrequent car replacement also caused by low annual miles driven, etc.).

It's pretty obvious with Buick's new competetive and modern products that they are trying to broaden that buyer base to insure a future. The poor retetention stats noted for Buick show the need for immediate corrective action.

Last edited by IS-SV; 12-14-09 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-14-09, 08:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMO, I'm not surprised at all. Also keep in mind that appealing to the older, convervative market is dealing with a slow growth market (due to death, illness, loss of license, infrequent car replacement also caused by low annual miles driven, etc.).
It's pretty obvious with Buick's new competetive and modern products that they are trying to broaden that buyer base to insure a future. The poor retetention stats noted for Buick show the need for immediate corrective action.
Good point. I was thinking the same thing. Just didn't know how to say it.
Old 12-14-09, 09:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Many Mercedes models have become true classics worth $$$.. I would hang on to tri star cars too. I would love to grab a clean Mercedes190 E 2.6 16V. Cosworth did a job with this car & it will be worth $$$ further down the line..

We have no idea what this has to do with anything here

This study is NOT about just keeping a car forever. Its about customers STAYING within the brand when its time for a NEW vehicle.

Now in its seventh year, the study measures the percentage of vehicle owners and lessees who replace a previously purchased new vehicle with another from the same brand. Retaining existing owners is critical to a brand's market success, particularly in the current challenging market conditions.
\.

Old 12-14-09, 09:26 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

This study is NOT about just keeping a car forever. Its about customers STAYING within the brand when its time for a NEW vehicle.
Cool beans but I did not ask for an interpretation from you.
Old 12-14-09, 09:59 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok secrets out, I have been seriously looking at these lately, I've always really liked them but never gave them a second thought because, well I'd been super stuck on Lexus all during that time but now I would really like to have one in my garage for long term ownership, no rush though, need to do some research. I really really really want to get my hands on 93/94 E60 AMG but I'll settle for a clean well taken care of 95 500E as they are hard enough to find clean.
Old 12-14-09, 10:09 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Milla...
Ok secrets out, I have been seriously looking at these lately, I've always really liked them but never gave them a second thought because, well I'd been super stuck on Lexus all during that time but now I would really like to have one in my garage for long term ownership, no rush though, need to do some research. I really really really want to get my hands on 93/94 E60 AMG but I'll settle for a clean well taken care of 95 500E as they are hard enough to find clean.
You sound like a true car enthusiast like myself But unfortunately.....

Old 12-14-09, 10:32 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,303 Likes on 1,404 Posts

Cool beans but I did not ask for an interpretation from you.
Lol, sorry but Mike is right. Let's keep this thread on topic please - it's about a customer retention study (not what cars you want to retain in your garage). I'd politely suggest you start another thread about that topic if you'd like to discuss it rather than continue to make borderline insults such as the post above.

Quick Reply: 2009 JD Power Customer Retention Study