Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 JD Power Customer Retention Study

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09 | 10:35 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
You sound like a true car enthusiast like myself But unfortunately.....
Yes I deem it a bad habit of mine actually an unnatural weakness I have. Some female's lose their heads when it comes to shopping at malls and fo-fo boutiqes and diamonds, me its cars and you'd never know it looking at me as most guys and gals are totally caught off gaurd when the topic of cars come up.

Sorry to take this thread off topic.

Last edited by Milla...; 12-14-09 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-14-09 | 10:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

This retention survey is more like a list of what brand of car people considered is a safe bet. Look at the top 5 on the list, all safe bets.
When people want to buy a sure thing, they tend to buy a Toyota or if they are looking for a luxury car, then it’s a MB, but unfortunately, that sure thing is not for every year made and model made. Companies such as Toyota and MB lives off these kind of perceived quality.
This survey reflects what owners consider to be a safe brand as well as the quality of their car when they trade it in or return a lease. So it really is about the quality of cars that were made 2 to 5 years ago or more. Also, the service department is a factor as well.

Last edited by The G Man; 12-14-09 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-14-09 | 10:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sure there is a correlation between high score and "safe bet", that should be expected.

Because the internet and magazines are loaded with people recommending cars that they will never own in their lifetimes. For the people that actually put significant money on the line and actually buy the top-ranked cars, they are attempting to make good automotive and good financial decisions.
Old 12-14-09 | 10:47 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by The G Man
This retention survey is more like a list of what brand of car people considered is a safe bet. Look at the top 5 on the list, all safe bets.
When people want to buy a sure thing, they tend to buy a Toyota or if they are looking for a luxury car, then it’s a MB, but unfortunately, that sure thing is not for every year made and model made. Companies such as Toyota and MB lives off these kind of perceived quality.
This survey reflects what owners consider to be a safe brand as well as the quality of their car when they trade it in or return a lease. So it really is about the quality of cars that were made 2 to 5 years ago or more. Also, the service department is a factor as well.
I would assume then by this logic that Infiniti would be higher on the list.
Old 12-14-09 | 10:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Milla...
I would assume then by this logic that Infiniti would be higher on the list.
I dont think when people think of safe bets, Infinity comes to mind. A safe Japanese luxury car is Lexus, Infinity and Acura are way way behind.
Old 12-14-09 | 10:51 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Lol, sorry but Mike is right. Let's keep this thread on topic please - it's about a customer retention study (not what cars you want to retain in your garage).
Agreed, please accept apologies on my part.

I dont think when people think of safe bets, Infinity comes to mind. A safe Japanese luxury car is Lexus, Infinity and Acura are way way behind.
Hence this list eh..I assumed that the success of the G series pulled a bit more weight for the brand's customer retention since its been out for a bit now.

Last edited by Milla...; 12-14-09 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-14-09 | 11:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The G-series is succesful, but no more succesful than the old TL or the new IS. The G series is a entry level Luxury sedan which usually is the best selling for most brands. Infinity's biggest problem is getting those G series owner to graduate into a M series when they grow up, a problem Lexus, BMW and MB do not have. As you know, the M series is not selling too well.
Old 12-14-09 | 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Sure there is a correlation between high score and "safe bet", that should be expected.

Because the internet and magazines are loaded with people recommending cars that they will never own in their lifetimes. For the people that actually put significant money on the line and actually buy the top-ranked cars, they are attempting to make good automotive and good financial decisions.
Agreed.....and I understand at least part of what you are saying here, but, on the other hand, is it a "good financial decision" to plunk down a huge amount for a luxury car or SUV when one costing half as much (or less) will do the job just as well? Of course, this is arguable either way, as some people, especially if they can afford it, feel that an expensive vehicle may be coming to them as a retirement gift, mid-life crisis, or other special occasion. Some people, like real-estate agents, bankers, managers, etc.... also think that they have to have a prestige car, with panache, just to impress potential clients.
Old 12-14-09 | 11:13 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed.....and I understand at least part of what you are saying here, but, on the other hand, is it a "good financial decision" to plunk down a huge amount for a luxury car or SUV when one costing half as much (or less) will do the job just as well? Of course, this is arguable either way, as some people, especially if they can afford it, feel that an expensive vehicle may be coming to them as a retirement gift, mid-life crisis, or other special occasion. Some people, like real-estate agents, bankers, managers, etc.... also think that they have to have a prestige car, with panache, just to impress potential clients.
For those that can afford it, they still try to make good financial choices amongst the premium cars, a reward for high earnings and hard work. And maybe they can afford to own the safest premium car while they are at it.

Yes there are cheaper choices and yes people can buy cars used too.

In short, yes there is a correlation between high score and "safe bet", that should be expected.
Old 12-14-09 | 11:27 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I've always felt that the amount of money spent on a car relates in some ways to a % of what the buyer's income is. Say a person making $100K spends $30K on a car it's 30% of their annual income. If a person earning $250K spends the same 30% it could be a $75K car the same financial impact.
Old 12-14-09 | 11:28 AM
Milla...

The G-series is succesful, but no more succesful than the old TL or the new IS. The G series is a entry level Luxury sedan which usually is the best selling for most brands. Infinity's biggest problem is getting those G series owner to graduate into a M series when they grow up, a problem Lexus, BMW and MB do not have. As you know, the M series is not selling too well.

Gotcha I was totally missing the point but I understand now thanks. Their low ranking actually now makes perfect sense, because everything above the G is a dud except the FX, but I'm thinking with the new design even this is now questionable.
Old 12-14-09 | 11:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Infinity's biggest problem is getting those G series owner to graduate into a M series when they grow up, a problem Lexus, BMW and MB do not have. As you know, the M series is not selling too well.
I think that's because the M-series, style-wise, are too similiar to the G-series in both size and appearance. In addition, the G-series offers the same V6 engine and AWD option that the M-series does....for less money. The M's, though with similiar interior styling, are notably more plush inside with interior materials, but the G's have made considerable progress in interior quality in the last few years. What Infiniti needs is a real flagship that would differentiate itself from both the G and M series....and, of course, sell better than the ill-fated Q45.
Old 12-14-09 | 12:20 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The M series is a great car, but its exterior styling is rather plain, the ride is as stiff as a 5 series but it doesnt handle as well. The interior is right up there with Lexus, but Infinity doesnt have the customer service that Lexus have. I believe M- series's biggest problem is the competition for a Luxury sedan with a sporty ride. Lexus doesnt have that problem with the LS and the ES. The M-series have to compete with the 5 series, E-class RL and the A6. As good as the M series is, it middle of the pack at best when compare to the competition.
Old 12-14-09 | 12:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV

This is one of the truest posts ever, one I have said myself. Its VERY VERY amusing to see all the supposed "better than" vehicles suggested on the internet but when its wallet voting time, the status quo wins out.

A good or even great car is only one factor of ownership. The brand itself matters, so does resale value, perceived image, awards, dealer service, desirability and comfort in use. I want to separately mention an expanded product line. Business's spend BILLIONS in doing whatever it takes to KEEP customers. Thus we have seen Benz/Lexus (and of course others) expand into markets all over, so a customer doesn't HAVE to leave the brand. It might not be exactly what they want even, but it is offered. Benz has a far more vast product portfolio so this helps in spades. Using Mercedes in particular..

New gal to brand in 1995..buys C230 sedan...
Decides 3 years later she wants a coupe....gets a CLK 320
Does well and has increased worth....decides to treat to a AMG SLK
Gets married, convinces husband to get a Benz...they need a SUV.. they buy a ML 550.
Things continue to do well, they buy in addition a new E class.
FWD a decade later, he buys himself an S-class, she buys herself a SL 63 and they have kids so they got a bigger SUV a GL 550.

While they MIGHT have cross-shopped or liked an X5 or a LS, they know their dealer, they know the brand, they are used to the interiors and are comfortable owning this brand.

Mercedes has done a GREAT job expanding their products so the customer can come on the lot and see they don't HAVE to buy anything else. Coupes, sedans, convertibles, SUVs, hybrids, diesels they have it. Also there is a CRYSTAL CLEAR distinction between EACH vehicle.

On the other hand with Infiniti, they still have some truly misguided management b/c the G37 and M35/45 are not that different in size, looks and features. Then the EX is an answer to a question NO ONE asked. The FX is another niche vehicle. Finally you have the QX which looks odd in the brand. Also where exactly is this brand going?

So say you buy a G37, well you ARGUABLY have the best vehicle in the lineup even though its the entry level one. If you want a trendy SUV, you can get the FX. If you want utility, you have to get the big QX which is a size many don't want to jump to. There is no F/AMG, there is one coupe/convert. No hybrids, ,no diesels.

If the buyer sees or sits in a new Maxima/Murano, more confusion sets in.

Benz/Infiniti is a case study in why one brand is on top and why the other near the bottom in this survey.

If you look at some of the top winners here in the luxury market Benz and Lexus, they are very strong in the areas mentioned above.

Old 12-14-09 | 12:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

You guys bring up some good points about Infiniti that I never thought of. And they are down there in some real sad company/brands with low retention scores.

Quick Reply: 2009 JD Power Customer Retention Study