Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top Gear: "It might just be the greatest Japanese car ever"

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-09, 06:35 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
& charge even more for it ?

What they REALLY need is hardcore versions of the future 4GS and 3SC, i.e. GS-F and SC-F, and of course, an even better 3IS-F, and maybe an additional smaller and lighter dedicated Lexus(affordable) sports model too ......
All of what this man says.........
Old 12-13-09, 09:22 PM
LexFather

What they REALLY need is hardcore versions of the future 4GS and 3SC, i.e. GS-F and SC-F, and of course, an even better 3IS-F, and maybe an additional smaller and lighter dedicated Lexus(affordable) sports model too ......
Lets truly hope what they learn with carbon fiber weaving is passed on

Old 12-13-09, 10:35 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i really dont care what reviewers have to say about the LFA, i just know that i want one...
Old 12-13-09, 11:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well said, lfa is enough already. if they make a roadster it's cool. but an even lighter more hardcore version? not needed and it's just more reasons for some people to whine

use it as the halo, and get out all the f models for the lineup
Old 12-13-09, 11:33 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this car has grown on me
Old 12-14-09, 07:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1. I've been saying this but have been internet flogged by some. Lexus does need to address the models in the showroom & produce some obtainable fun machines right now.

In any event, I will be suprised if this LFA out performs the Nissan GTR on the Top Gear track. The GTR's lap was amazing!
Old 12-14-09, 07:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

all european magazines are publishing favourable drives/reviews of LFA.
Most of them also loved IS-F.
Old 12-14-09, 10:12 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
all european magazines are publishing favourable drives/reviews of LFA.
Most of them also loved IS-F.
I really enjoy the fact that they have given the LFA good reviews, but a bias still remains against it for some reason. Most of them gave it 4 out of 5 which is all well and good, but the Ferrari 458 and Mercedes SLS have seemly gotten 5 out of 5 from every site and I hardly think they are superior cars. That irks me quite a bit.
Old 12-14-09, 10:15 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To say "It might just be the greatest Japanese car ever" isn't really going out on a limb.
Old 12-14-09, 10:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There is no question the LAF is the greatest Japanese car ever built, but it is also the most expensive. If Lexus can build the greatest Japanese car for around $100000, then they would have really accomplish something, but given the price tag, I would think even Honda or Nissan could have come up with something similar. The main diff is that Nissan and Honda cannot afford to lose money on a car like the LAF like Toyota can.
Old 12-14-09, 11:24 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
If Lexus can build the greatest Japanese car for around $100000, then they would have really accomplish something, but given the price tag, I would think even Honda or Nissan could have come up with something similar.
To price the LFA for "around $100k" is honestly absurd.

An Aston Martin DBS (which is about 510hp and weighs 3800 lbs) is $280k, without all the carbon fiber. A $200k Lamborghini Gallardo is probably more similar having a 560hp V10 weighing at 3100 lbs. People need to compare the LFA in this category of supercar.
Old 12-14-09, 11:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

people are still whining that its overpriced?

Find me a GT supercar with similar specs for $375k?
560hp V10
3268 lb weight
65% carbon fiber chassis
Carbon ceramic brakes
limited to 500 units, this thing is for collectors

The grand touring Ferrari's the 599/612 weigh 3800-4000 lbs and cost almost this much. No other car around has this combination of specs and features. That is why it is special. When it demolishes the DBS/599/612's laptimes are people still going to whine on the price?
Old 12-14-09, 12:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

"It might just be the greatest Japanese car ever"
By "Greatest Japanese Car Ever", I assume they mean among exotic/sports cars. We'll see. That's what they said about the Nissan Skyline/GT-R.......until new owners started tearing up the transmissions. Of course, any car will fail if it is abused hard enough....witness the new Camaro SS, also with transmission/clutch failures.
Old 12-14-09, 12:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Won't be winning any Consumer Reports "recommended choice" awards, not that Lexus cares or anybody that buys in this class of cars.
Old 12-14-09, 01:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
To price the LFA for "around $100k" is honestly absurd.

An Aston Martin DBS (which is about 510hp and weighs 3800 lbs) is $280k, without all the carbon fiber. A $200k Lamborghini Gallardo is probably more similar having a 560hp V10 weighing at 3100 lbs. People need to compare the LFA in this category of supercar.
Exactly. The last gen NSX was over $90,000 when it bowed out in what 2004 with a V-6 and aluminum. Other 90k cars
BMW X5 M
Jaguar XKR
LS 460 LWB optioned out
Mercedes E63
etc etc

I honestly don't think people have the foggiest idea about the production process of a car, let alone one made with 3 different weaves of carbon fiber IN HOUSE from the ground up.

The only three cars under 100k that can remotely compete with supercar exotics are;
Viper
Corvette Z06 (ZR1 is over 100k)
GT-R

The GT-R is truly remarkable for changing perceptions on price/performance. It is tiring hearing every car that debuted since the GT-R or even BEFORE the GT-R compared to it. The GT-R is clearly a rare animal, otherwise EVERYONE would make near supercar performance 80 grand cars.

I cannot blame people for dismissing the LFA at seemingly every opportunity as it is a Lexus. Reminds us of 1989 and the LS except this is tenfold.

In reviewing exotic forums, the groups for/against the LFA are similar to ours;
Group A cannot get past the price, brand
Group B, a much smaller group, understands they why's behind the car and appreciates its birth

I can completely understand why people are just about the LFA price. However seeing people throw random numbers around saying "it should" cost that is hilarious.

Its LOSING money at 375k and you want it cheaper?

Quick Reply: Top Gear: "It might just be the greatest Japanese car ever"