Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

car interior lighting colors

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 10:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody have the techincal reason why the red lighted gauges have advantages over other colors for night driving/flying/piloting?
Old 12-14-09, 11:20 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the amber/orange lighting in any car. (Corolla, smart, BMWs, some MBs). The new LED white in the HS250h is nice if a bit cold.
Old 12-14-09, 11:36 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Anybody have the techincal reason why the red lighted gauges have advantages over other colors for night driving/flying/piloting?
Because red is low-energy wavelength and doesn't strain your eyes like blue would. Just like looking at those 8000k or 10000k HID's hurt your eyes if you stare at them too long!
Old 12-15-09, 12:34 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I like the amber/orange lighting in any car. (Corolla, smart, BMWs, some MBs). The new LED white in the HS250h is nice if a bit cold.
Is the center stack also white lights? In other words, are the green lights all gone? Pic?
Old 12-15-09, 08:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Technically (from what they tell us) it is because when you look at lights at night and then look away from them to a darker, non-lighted area, it takes some time for the retina, pupil, optic nerve, etc... to adjust itself to the darker environment and regain sight efficiency. White, being the brightest of all colors, supposedly delays the re-adjustment process for the eye as it looks into darker areas. Red/orange lights, especially at low intensity, is supposed to have much less of an effect on the eye as it tries to re-adjust. In aviation, That makes it easier to spot navigation lights, runway/taxiway lights, city/town lights, aircraft running lights, etc....

However, I didn't quite see it that way (no pun intended). I myself found that I not only didn't have any problems readjusting to the dark with white lights, but that the white light made the instruments easier to see at night, at least in the plane......less so in the car. Still, in the car, I also find the white lights more pleasant, especially the electro-luminescent system which Lexus, to its credit, first invented.

I also suspect (but can't prove) that cars like BMWs and Audis often have red/orange lighting because they are driven at very high speeds at night on the Autobahn.......and it is considered a driver aid.

Originally Posted by Mesca
Because red is low-energy wavelength and doesn't strain your eyes like blue would. Just like looking at those 8000k or 10000k HID's hurt your eyes if you stare at them too long!
Yes, that's part of it, but the main concern is the eye's re-adjustment process going from a lit to a dark area.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-15-09 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-15-09, 09:20 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Technically (from what they tell us) it is because when you look at lights at night and then look away from them to a darker, non-lighted area, it takes some time for the retina, pupil, optic nerve, etc... to adjust itself to the darker environment and regain sight efficiency. White, being the brightest of all colors, supposedly delays the re-adjustment process for the eye as it looks into darker areas. Red/orange lights, especially at low intensity, is supposed to have much less of an effect on the eye as it tries to re-adjust. In aviation, That makes it easier to spot navigation lights, runway/taxiway lights, city/town lights, aircraft running lights, etc....

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking to understand.

Of course the practical reality as to what works for car drivers is another subjective area and we all have personal preferences.
Old 12-15-09, 01:44 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Is the center stack also white lights? In other words, are the green lights all gone? Pic?
The HS? As far I as I remember, everything's white incl. the footwell lighting & power window switches.

In non-nav models, the top screen has a blue hue lit from the bottom centre. On nav-equipped models, the remote touch controller has a blue hue.