Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

car interior lighting colors

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 02:32 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default car interior lighting colors

Which car interior lighting colors do you like most ? And on which car?
I like Audi's red and white, which reminds me of a jet fighter cockpit. Also, Lexus's white and blue is modern and pleasing. Are they still putting green in their latest models? What's the new RX and HS have for the center console buttons? I'm hoping the next IS goes all blue and white.
Old 12-14-09, 04:51 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was surprised when I got my IS and found that the buttons and the centre stack were green when the dash was white and blue.
Old 12-14-09, 11:03 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the blue that VW uses.
Old 12-14-09, 11:15 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I still haven't appreciated the orange-ness of a BMW interior, but you have to admit that it is quite distinctive (and copied by many, such as the IS300).
Old 12-14-09, 11:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The Ford Mustang, unique among American-market cars, has what is probably the best solution to the problem.....a variable-dash-light control that allows you to select any one of some 125 colors. The fact that it can be mass-marketed and sold in a car of the Mustang's price shows that it is not an expensive or overly-complex piece of equipment, either.
Old 12-14-09, 05:46 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I still haven't appreciated the orange-ness of a BMW interior, but you have to admit that it is quite distinctive (and copied by many, such as the IS300).
The orange color of the BMW lights is supposed to be one of the easiest on the eyes, especially in the dark.

I like the BMW lights.
Old 12-14-09, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Amini9
The orange color of the BMW lights is supposed to be one of the easiest on the eyes, especially in the dark.
I was once a pilot. That's what they told us in flight school, too....that red or orange cockpit lights were easiest on the eyes at night. I never did like the red/orange lights, though......I used the white ones when the planes had a choice (some planes did...you could adjust them red or white). And I never had any problems with nighttime visibility with the white cockpit lights, either.

Same in a car. I never liked the red/orange lights that Pontiac, BMW, the Lexus IS300, some Mazdas, and some older Audis used.

My Subaru Outback actually combines red and white......white for the primary gauges (where I feel it is most important), and an odd combination of red and white for the center dash/climate control.
Old 12-14-09, 06:38 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Ford Mustang, unique among American-market cars, has what is probably the best solution to the problem.....a variable-dash-light control that allows you to select any one of some 125 colors. The fact that it can be mass-marketed and sold in a car of the Mustang's price shows that it is not an expensive or overly-complex piece of equipment, either.
I never knew they actually had this in a car...I surprised that there aren't more car companies that offer this.

Lexus speed gauges are one of the best.
Old 12-14-09, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I never knew they actually had this in a car...I surprised that there aren't more car companies that offer this.

Lexus speed gauges are one of the best.
Ford made a big deal about that when the last-generation Mustang came out. With the first models, you had to go through a service-procedure (I don't know the specifics involved) to actually change the color (you had a choice of some 125 colors). Later, Ford modified the system to allow you to do it from inside the car.

Since I haven't driven a Mustang for a couple of years, I'm going to have to pop by the Ford dealer and see for myself how the new system works.
Old 12-14-09, 06:53 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Ford made a big deal about that when the last-generation Mustang came out. With the first models, you had to go through a service-procedure (I don't know the specifics involved) to actually change the color (you had a choice of some 125 colors). Later, Ford modified the system to allow you to do it from inside the car.

Since I haven't driven a Mustang for a couple of years, I'm going to have to pop by the Ford dealer and see for myself how the new system works.
I think it is a great idea...I am surprised cars like the Scions, Mazda 3's, Civics don't have this feature. This would be the perfect feature to sell the car to those trendy folks that like that kind of the stuff...there is a huge market for aftermarket dash gauges and shocking that the car companies have not tried to capitalize on this.

I think the future of dash display will be like the Range Rovers, a large LCD screen.
Old 12-14-09, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I think it is a great idea...I am surprised cars like the Scions, Mazda 3's, Civics don't have this feature. .

I agree it's a good idea, but Ford may (?) have a patent on it. If so, that restricts it to use in Ford-owned vehicles only for a set time (I'm not enough of a lawyer to know the details). Still.....it makes you wonder why other Ford vehicles don't have it.
Old 12-14-09, 08:30 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I agree it's a good idea, but Ford may (?) have a patent on it. If so, that restricts it to use in Ford-owned vehicles only for a set time (I'm not enough of a lawyer to know the details). Still.....it makes you wonder why other Ford vehicles don't have it.
I am sure any car company can develop there own part....Lets face, car companies buy new model cars all the time and take them apart to see how there made...
Old 12-14-09, 09:13 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

17 years.

OTT, I like the white that Toyota and Lexuses use, and BMW's orange. I highly dislike the digital blue-green speedos on the Prius.
Old 12-14-09, 10:13 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I think it is a great idea...I am surprised cars like the Scions, Mazda 3's, Civics don't have this feature. This would be the perfect feature to sell the car to those trendy folks that like that kind of the stuff...there is a huge market for aftermarket dash gauges and shocking that the car companies have not tried to capitalize on this.

I think the future of dash display will be like the Range Rovers, a large LCD screen.
I think you answered your own question. I believe manufacturers like Lexus/BMW are not picking up on it due to the "trendy" factor. Higher end makes do not rely on gimmicks to grab people in. They pick a family color, make it part of their corporate look, and credibilty and familarity builds upon it. I think the multi Mustang colors are cool, but I rather be following what Lexus establishes. (If that makes any sense.)
Old 12-14-09, 10:28 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I'm a fan of the orange, I had it in the IS and I've got it in the M now and I do find it easy on the eyes.

Quick Reply: car interior lighting colors