Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AutoSpies rips Motor Trend a new one

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 07:53 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AutoSpies rips Motor Trend a new one

From Motor Trend:

..."Guess what, automotive blogosphere, Honda's Accord Crosstour is not the design catastrophe you so deliriously predicted.

Prior to the new Crosstour's traditional introduction, Honda, rather innocently, released early images of the Crosstour on Facebook. However, these social networks can often be less than sociable gatherings. Snap a finger, and a bunch of collegial car-loving "friends" can transform into a pack of frenzied piranhas. And on their menu last September was the complicated-looking Crosstour, which was spilling blood in the water even before it was properly introduced to the mainstream press. Okay, so just about every car company these days is upping the ante with their online stripteasing, leaking a photo here, releasing a gallery to a social network there, but this time, the viral publicity machine chose to bite back -- and bite back hard. Oh, for the days when a new car was revealed to the world with one mighty whiskaway of a black sheet at a major car show."
AutoSpies rebuttal:

Can you believe the NERVE of this writer claiming that THEY are right and the social networks like ours got it wrong lambasting the design of the Honda Aztek, er, Crosstour?

And they had the gall to claim that the majority of you are "collegial car-loving "friends" and "a pack of frenzied piranhas"?

They're almost relegating us to 'Tea-Bagger' status.

What an insult!

The CONSUMER couldn't POSSIBLY know if a design is good or bad.

Only the hallowed buff book writers that live in the puzzle palace should be given THAT kind of responsibility.

It couldn't POSSIBLY be that the Crosstour is absolutely hideous, could it?

And that Honda's mistake was they didn't "properly introduced to the mainstream press" first?

Hey, MotorTrend, do you guys REALLY think in this day and age, you're STILL all that?

You go on the same trips we do and I can safely conclude that 95% of the "PROPER" motoring press wouldn't know a great car design it it whacked them in the face.

One of the biggest reasons the American car companies got in so much trouble is because THE BUFF BOOKS have been giving them a pass since Noah was on the ark.

Their ad dollars OWN you and you just sat there (Look at the Crosstour ad at the top of this review!), shut up and took the trips, the perks and the bucks.

SHAME ON YOU!

It's no wonder, your mags are 1/5 the size that they used to be.

And it ain't gonna get any better for you guys anytime soon!

Especially with attitudes like that!

Thank God for the social networks, the blogs and the entire internet for democratizing this automotive world for the first time in forever!

....ouch
Old 12-14-09, 07:58 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank God for the social networks, the blogs and the entire internet for democratizing this automotive world for the first time in forever!
I like this quote.
Old 12-14-09, 08:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Keep the competition going. I love these battles
Old 12-14-09, 08:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

haha this sounds like fun!
Old 12-14-09, 09:03 AM
LexFather

I can't believe I'm saying this but GO AUTOSPIES!!! Having read that same review on the Crosstour, I shook my head in disbelief of the token "Honda press fanboi pass" they used again.

For quite sometime now I have publicly blasted most of these mags for their childish conclusions, amateur writing and biased ways especially towards Honda/Acura and BMW. Its CRYSTAL CLEAR to people.

Hey Motor Trend, these social "sites" have replaced you as the new means of relevant auto news. If (when) you die off, the only people sad will be those few loyal subscribers.

Old 12-14-09, 09:42 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ha ha, this is a brilliant response.

In other news, Motor Trend offered to renew my subscription for $6/year and I declined.
Old 12-14-09, 09:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Ha ha, this is a brilliant response.

In other news, Motor Trend offered to renew my subscription for $6/year and I declined.

They'll probably keep sending the magazine to you.
I get MT,Car&Driver and Road&Track for a couple of years now free after my subscription expiration date.
I guesss the circulation number for ad dollars is more important that the $6 or other number renewal fee.
Old 12-14-09, 10:01 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

go autospies

Originally Posted by Joeb427
They'll probably keep sending the magazine to you.
I get MT,Car&Driver and Road&Track for a couple of years now free after my subscription expiration date.
I guesss the circulation number for ad dollars is more important that the $6 or other number renewal fee.
Then when you don't pay, they send you to collection (even when they didn't send me any mags and after writing "do not renew" on their Renewal subscription)
Happened to me, had a write a couple of letters, and they finally stopped.

I don't even bother with the freebies.
Old 12-14-09, 10:10 AM
LexFather

I've never had an issue with the freebies and it gives me GREAT PLEASURE to get them for free.

Old 12-14-09, 10:24 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Free is good, Honda Aztek not so good.
Old 12-14-09, 11:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
go autospies

Then when you don't pay, they send you to collection (even when they didn't send me any mags and after writing "do not renew" on their Renewal subscription)
Happened to me, had a write a couple of letters, and they finally stopped.

I don't even bother with the freebies.
Never agreed to extending a subscription and it's been a couple of years and I haven't received anything from any collection agency.
I believe they need circulation numbers for ad revenue.
Old 12-14-09, 11:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I can't believe I'm saying this but GO AUTOSPIES!!! Having read that same review on the Crosstour, I shook my head in disbelief of the token "Honda press fanboi pass" they used again.

For quite sometime now I have publicly blasted most of these mags for their childish conclusions, amateur writing and biased ways especially towards Honda/Acura and BMW. Its CRYSTAL CLEAR to people.

Hey Motor Trend, these social "sites" have replaced you as the new means of relevant auto news. If (when) you die off, the only people sad will be those few loyal subscribers.
indeed, i am so with autospies this time as well. and i also think it's very clear how social network has overcome a lot of what these magazines do. news and information are spread so much faster, not to mention the kind of discussions sparked.
Old 12-14-09, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

What makes Autospies any more a "voice of the consumer" than MT? Though I don't particularly like the Crosstour's styling myself, and I'm not an apologist for MT by any means (it is clearly not one of the better auto magazines), basically these articles look to me like two spoiled kids tossing sand at each other in a sandbox.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-14-09 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-14-09, 12:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What makes Autospies any more a "voice of the consumer" than MT? Though I don't particularly like the Crosstour's styling myself, and I'm not an apologist for MT by any means (it is clearly not one of the better auto magazines), basically these articles look to me like two spoiled kids tossing sand at each other in a sandbox.
I bet the employees at MT have a facebook page.

MT is again showing its usual bias here. How can the MAJORITY of people be wrong on styling? Look there is styling that is subjective like say the new E-class (I think its average at best but I can understand how some people think its okay) and there is styling where the majority has the same opinion as in the Crosstour. Its horrid. Its not like Honda makes beautiful vehicles and wham, the Crosstour is ugly. No, its another ugly Honda. How can ANYONE including MT be surprised?

Seeing the Crosstour get ripped to shreds on FB doesn't mean people on social networking sites jumped on another bandwagon. In this case they are right.

Funny but in the MT article, they mentioned it is like a Lexus I believe 3 or 4 times.

Old 12-14-09, 12:53 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, when Autoweek proclaimed the CTS station wagon as "the best-looking car built today," I knew the magazines had jumped the shark.

Quick Reply: AutoSpies rips Motor Trend a new one