Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Although Element was no hit, Honda plans a 2nd generation

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09 | 05:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
Element is a nice looking car...better than the Cube or the older xB...but 160hp just does not cut it for this chunky car...need at least 200hp
What it needs is a slightly detuned RDX engine. Actually I don't mind if the CRV gets this option instead of a V6. Honda already has the powerplant. Coupled that with a 6spd auto and it should be good to go. But of course Honda management really hates common sense.
Old 12-14-09 | 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
The element desperately needs a 6th gear. That's the advantage the Rav4 has. You can make a fuel hungry engine use less fuel if you gear it right.
With only 160 HP and 160 ft-lbs. of torque, 6th gear would probably be OK on level roads, at cruise speeds, with a light load, but not under most other conditions.....the transmission would be upshifting and downshifting all the time, putting a lot of wear on it, because of the fairly low power.
Old 12-14-09 | 09:08 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend has an Element SC in Root Beer Metallic. Funky car, funky colors.

I've never liked the Element, but I've never disliked it either. I do agree it's a unique vehicle and gives Honda a good niche.

Oh, and maybe CR-V + RDX turbo'd I-4?
Old 12-14-09 | 10:38 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see the Element as a niche vehicle too; so long as every other manufacturer doesn't follow suit (a la 'crossover') the Element seems alright to exist.
Old 12-15-09 | 04:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
rav4 has one trick awd system is the answer
Yeah,it does have a 4WD button that locks the system to direct torque to all four wheels up to 25 MPH.
Old 12-15-09 | 05:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Interesting, but I'm guessing they can derive the new Element from current gen CRV without huge capital investment.
Exactly, Honda will invest in anything as long as its cheap, but they never follow thru with their bigger projects. Who ever is running Honda should really step down because he is running the compant into the ground.
Old 12-15-09 | 07:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Yeah,it does have a 4WD button that locks the system to direct torque to all four wheels up to 25 MPH.
i dont mean that, it is very efficient system... you also dont sense it working at all, you have an feel like you are driving in awd car because whenever you need it (and before you do), it transfers the power to the back in very smooth manner...
Old 12-15-09 | 10:36 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Element is odd, but it's very useful SUV if you have pets or a very active life - I know around here the Element is used by vets, dog walkers and groomers alike - as well by kayakers and skiiers/snowboarders as well.

It just needs MORE POWER. The CR-V, Element and the Accord Crosstour use the same Real-Time 4WD hydrostatic AWD system. The Element has a somewhat roomy engine bay compared to the CR-V, if Honda reads this maybe the Accord's V6 can fit in there.

I do know Hondata does provide a hacked ECU for the 5MT Elements as well
Old 12-15-09 | 10:56 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont mean that, it is very efficient system... you also dont sense it working at all, you have an feel like you are driving in awd car because whenever you need it (and before you do), it transfers the power to the back in very smooth manner...
I believe Honda has a similar system in the CR-V (?). The difference between the V6 Rav and the I4 CR-V is the transmission (and the fact that the V6 doesn't have to work as hard as the I4).

And yes I belive a version of the Element with 3 rows of seats is sold in Japan as the Crossroad or something like that
Old 12-15-09 | 11:43 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I actually like the element and think the 2nd generation may help to solidify its place in the market. Its not as off road capable as an Xterra or Toyota FJ but costs more than the little scions and Nissan cube. They need to get it in line with the competition
Old 12-15-09 | 02:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by felixsc300
My friend has an Element SC in Root Beer Metallic. Funky car, funky colors.
The Root Beer, of course, is a brownish color....I wouldn't call it funky. Brown has actually been quite common on CR-Vs, especially here in the D.C. area.
Old 12-15-09 | 02:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Root Beer, of course, is a brownish color....I wouldn't call it funky. Brown has actually been quite common on CR-Vs, especially here in the D.C. area.
I have never seen a current gen CRV in root beer dark brown. Was that a color that has since been discontinued?

Note: in 2007 Borrego Beige Metallic (lighter goldish color) was available.
Old 12-16-09 | 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I have never seen a current gen CRV in root beer dark brown. Was that a color that has since been discontinued?

Note: in 2007 Borrego Beige Metallic (lighter goldish color) was available.
The Borrego Beige was still available in 2009...it has been dropped for 2010.

Brown was very popular on earlier-generation CR-Vs (I've seen many of them), but you're right.....it is not offered, on the newer ones, on HondaUSA's website color-chart.

Interesting, though......here's a Google shot of a brown present-generation CR-V, but it does not appear to be for the American market.

Old 04-06-10 | 09:39 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just found this thread because I'm considering either an Element or Ridgeline to replace my Dakota. The plain interior of the Element with the rear seats removed is about the same size as the Ridgeline's bed, but without the trunk. The Element is also about 40" shorter in length than the Ridgeline, which would be good for my garage. The Element is easier for my wife to enter. The Ridgeline has a better ride and better 4WD system. The Element has better MPG, but is slower. I can find more late model used Elements for less money than Ridgelines. They are both equally ugly, er, quirky. Hmm...
Old 04-06-10 | 12:05 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is Element offered in Japan? I would think that platform sharing and japanese market is what makes it easier for them to offer it in USA as well.
Yeah they did (but it got axed around 2006-2007).

Quick Reply: Although Element was no hit, Honda plans a 2nd generation