Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Although Element was no hit, Honda plans a 2nd generation

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09 | 10:14 AM
LexFather

Post Although Element was no hit, Honda plans a 2nd generation

I find it REAL interesting some people will shout that Honda will not produce V-8/RWD/sports cars b/c they don't sell but here, they will continue to produce a vehicle that never met sales goals.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2009...312149980/1273

Although Element was no hit, Honda plans a 2nd generation

Mark Rechtin
Automotive News
December 14, 2009 - 12:01 am ET

LOS ANGELES -- Although the Element has been a disappointing seller, Honda plans to offer a second generation of its quirky crossover rather than treat it as an experiment.

The company is hitting a key demographic with the Element that it does not reach with the vehicle's platform sibling, the CR-V, said John Mendel, American Honda Motor Co. executive vice president.

"Our specialty vehicles give a little spice to the brand," Mendel said in an interview. "It's all about platform usability. And the Element is part of that strategy."

He said internal data show that no one cross-shops the CR-V and Element. "In the showroom you couldn't get most Element buyers to even sit in a CR-V," Mendel said.

Element buyers like its flexibility and storage capability, which make it ideal for stowing mountain bikes, surfboards and ski equipment, he said. The CR-V is aimed more at young families.

As a result, Honda will derive another outside-the-box vehicle from CR-V underpinnings to replace the Element.

Mendel declined to say when it will arrive, whether it will look like the current Element or even whether it will be named Element.

The Element went on sale in 2003. Other than a mild reskin in 2007, it has remained unchanged.

Honda initially hoped to sell 75,000 units annually. But after its first year, when 67,478 were sold, the Element never managed to break 60,000. Honda sold 26,447 last year, and sales in 2009 are down 46 percent to 13,458 through November.

By contrast, the CR-V is the segment leader. At the peak year of 2007, Honda sold nearly 220,000.
Old 12-14-09 | 10:27 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, but I'm guessing they can derive the new Element from current gen CRV without huge capital investment.
Old 12-14-09 | 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

A close friend of mine, in his 40's, has an Element and loves it, although it was his wife that really picked it out. The styling, obviously, doesn't bother them, but many I have talked to think that the Element is ugly. Of course, its CR-V cousin, which shares the same drivetrain, has never, IMO, been particularly handsome either. Both, however, have been reliable. And the Element, of course, appeals to some people simply because of its rubber coverings, waterproof seat fabric, and ease of interior cleaning. I hope they keep that on the 2Gen model......that was a good idea on Honda's part.
Old 12-14-09 | 10:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I too admire the Element for it's utility and I agree it's a decent concept in economical SUVs.

And unlike most here, I like the current CRV for it's style, roominess, AWD, refinement, solid construction and unusually smooth 4-banger engine (one of the few 4 bangers that meets my criteria for refinement).
Old 12-14-09 | 10:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I too admire the Element for it's utility and I agree it's a decent concept in economical SUVs.

And unlike most here, I like the current CRV for it's style, roominess, AWD, refinement, solid construction and unusually smooth 4-banger engine (one of the few 4 bangers that meets my criteria for refinement).
I agree with you. The CR-V, believe it or not, was on my Top 5 shopping list when I bought my Outback. I preferred the CR-V, for several reasons, over the Element, even with the Element's ease of interior cleaning. But, for my use, the Outback's combination of utility, traction, and car-like stance/road manners was just unbeatable.

But, since we're on the subject of the next-generation Element, I think that both it and the CR-V could use a V6 option, especially with the AWD, if full-loads are often going to be carried. Honda surrently uses a large 4 in the CR-V that, unlike any other of its non-turbo 4s, has reasonable torque....160 ft-lbs. was the last figure I saw. But that still, IMO, is a rather weak powerplant for several people and luggage in the car, and the marketers have yet to give it a V6.
Old 12-14-09 | 10:57 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

But, since we're on the subject of the next-generation Element, I think that both it and the CR-V could use a V6 option, especially with the AWD, if full-loads are often going to be carried. Honda surrently uses a large 4 in the CR-V that, unlike any other of its non-turbo 4s, has reasonable torque....160 ft-lbs. But that still, IMO, is a rather weak powerplant for several people and luggage in the car, and the marketers have yet to give it a V6.
Agreed, some would like a V6 but I have doubts about the incremental increase in sales that would result. The success of the CRV in its current form is amazing, being the top-selling SUV in the US. I'm a person that dislikes almost all 4 cylinder engines, but this Honda 4 cylinder (single balance shaft equipped) meets my criteria for smoothness and refinement.

A new Element will benefit nicely from being derived from the better latest gen CRV.
Old 12-14-09 | 12:13 PM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend who also loves his Element to death, he even acknowleges that its a ugly duckling but it does what he needs it to do and thats all that matters to him. He's the outdoorsy type. I suppose Honda listened to these guys.
Old 12-14-09 | 12:53 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with you. The CR-V, believe it or not, was on my Top 5 shopping list when I bought my Outback. I preferred the CR-V, for several reasons, over the Element, even with the Element's ease of interior cleaning. But, for my use, the Outback's combination of utility, traction, and car-like stance/road manners was just unbeatable.

But, since we're on the subject of the next-generation Element, I think that both it and the CR-V could use a V6 option, especially with the AWD, if full-loads are often going to be carried. Honda surrently uses a large 4 in the CR-V that, unlike any other of its non-turbo 4s, has reasonable torque....160 ft-lbs. was the last figure I saw. But that still, IMO, is a rather weak powerplant for several people and luggage in the car, and the marketers have yet to give it a V6.
My wife loves the CR-V but we won't buy one because no V6 cyl option is available.We test drove the '09 CR-V AWD and found it to be underpowered(zero to 60 in 10 seconds) and rev noisy.The '10's may be different.
The wife had a '06 RAV4 Sport 4cyl with the same issue.No more 4 cyls for us.
The CR-V sells well so Honda really doesn't have to have a 6 cyl option but really should.
Absolutely no interest in an Element 6 cyl option or not.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-14-09 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-14-09 | 01:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Is Element offered in Japan? I would think that platform sharing and japanese market is what makes it easier for them to offer it in USA as well.
Old 12-14-09 | 02:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
My wife loves the CR-V but we won't buy one because no V6 cyl option is available.We test drove the '09 CR-V AWD and found it to be underpowered(zero to 60 in 10 seconds) and rev noisy.The '10's may be different.
The wife had a '06 RAV4 Sport 4cyl with the same issue.No more 4 cyls for us.
The CR-V sells well so Honda really doesn't have to have a 6 cyl option but really should.
Absolutely no interest in an Element 6 cyl option or not.
I was looking at the gas mileage of the CRV AWD and RAV4 V6 AWD and they are very close making a good case for a modern V6 in vehicles like this.

CRV 20/26 Combined 22 - RAV4 19/26 Combined 21.
Old 12-14-09 | 02:37 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

It's true, the Ridgeline and Element are pretty unique vehicles you don't really get with other brands.
Old 12-14-09 | 03:02 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I was looking at the gas mileage of the CRV AWD and RAV4 V6 AWD and they are very close making a good case for a modern V6 in vehicles like this.

CRV 20/26 Combined 22 - RAV4 19/26 Combined 21.
Wow!
That's unbelievable!
Old 12-14-09 | 05:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Wow!
That's unbelievable!
rav4 has one trick awd system is the answer
Old 12-14-09 | 05:15 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Element is a nice looking car...better than the Cube or the older xB...but 160hp just does not cut it for this chunky car...need at least 200hp
Old 12-14-09 | 05:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

The element desperately needs a 6th gear. You can make a fuel hungry engine use less fuel if you gear it right.

Last edited by GSteg; 12-14-09 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Although Element was no hit, Honda plans a 2nd generation