Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2000 - 2002 BMW X5... reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-09, 07:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There will be those that are going to tell you otherwise from common knowledge. If you read posts, you know what to expect. Think about it for a seconds. We have read here post after post of issues especially after warranty. The car has over 150k miles.

Will it run? Of course. Will it cost an arm and a leg? Yup. It is up to the potential buyer if paying for out of warranty costs (which WILL NOT be a rare occurrence) is worth it.

Anyone can go and browse the BMW forums and read the same thing. Lease it then release it. If you keep it prepare yourself to pay to keep it running.

This was a big recall concerning brake lines.
http://www.salon.com/tech/wire/2003/...bmw/index.html

Here is a post on the BMW forum on what to look for.

Valve cover gaskets, CV boots, thrust arm bushings, thermosdat, water pump, expansion tank, belts, hoses, transmission service (the 100k service thing is a crock), diff service, missping pixles on the displays, HVAC controls. All should have been done at 60k if anyone cared about the vehicle. If not, you will be doing them after you buy it. Look for an X5 with old school maintenance. It is expensive to keep them up if all they got was the bull.**** "factory recommended service". BMW required lots of preventative maintenance before they started selling the cars with "maintenance included" which basically equals almost no maintenance. Good luck.

he pretty much nailed everything except rear upper control arms and ball joints. if they havent been replaced by now they will need to be. the X5 suffers from suspension components wearing out since its mostly E39 5 series but with more weight
I've read that 335 fuel injectors are $550 ea and my former BMW dealer labor rate was $140 per,I feel BMW maintenance and part costs are higher than Lexus.Add in some Lexus models have Camry engines and drivetrains making parts even less expensive than BMW models.
No doubt BMW's can hit and go over the 100K number but the maintenance costs will be a lot more than that of a Lexus to 100+K miles.
BMW changed some of their maintenance times to longer intervals when they went to the 4/50 maintenance free incentive.
The free maintenance isn't free,it's in the cost of the vehicle.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-15-09 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-15-09, 07:33 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why is your friend looking at this particular 01 X5 with 161K miles on it?
Old 12-15-09, 07:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Dash,do you agree that most BMW parts are more expensive than Lexus?
No I don't completly agree with this notion. If you take a look at the price of critical wear & tear parts you will see. Lets take a replacement oe rear upper control arm for example for a 2007 335 & one for a 2007 IS350.

IS350 rear upper control arm. Discount price: Rear1= $93.60 & Rear2 = $162.46

Total for the pair= $256.06
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/Search.asp

2007 BMW 335

Rear upper control arm MSRP= $109.21 each Discount= $87.37

Total for pair $174.74

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

You can check for other parts like radiators, hoses, etc. for price disparities. Granted, some parts will be more expensive than the other for both brands but both the majority of parts are on par in price.
Old 12-15-09, 07:51 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Why is your friend looking at this particular 01 X5 with 161K miles on it?
because he likes the interior I guess (It's cream/like cashmere with comfort seats and nice wood) . Most of the other ones have no wood or no nav even..

And it's on the cheaper end too..
Old 12-15-09, 07:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
No I don't completly agree with this notion. If you take a look at the price of critical wear & tear parts you will see. Lets take a replacement oe rear upper control arm for example for a 2007 335 & one for a 2007 IS350.

IS350 rear upper control arm. Discount price: Rear1= $93.60 & Rear2 = $162.46

Total for the pair= $256.06
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/Search.asp

2007 BMW 335

Rear lower control arm MSRP= $109.21 each Discount= $87.37

Total for pair $174.74

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

You can check for other parts like radiators, hoses, etc. for price disparities. Granted, some parts will be more expensive than the other for both brands but both the majority of parts are on par in price.
I gave a $550ea (IS-F $267) fuel injector example and you gave me a suspension part cost.I'm sure we can go tit for tat but most parts,especially bigger money components cost more than Lexus.Also dealer service labor per.
Old 12-15-09, 07:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There will be those that are going to tell you otherwise from common knowledge. If you read posts, you know what to expect. Think about it for a seconds. We have read here post after post of issues especially after warranty. The car has over 150k miles.

Will it run? Of course. Will it cost an arm and a leg? Yup. It is up to the potential buyer if paying for out of warranty costs (which WILL NOT be a rare occurrence) is worth it.

Anyone can go and browse the BMW forums and read the same thing. Lease it then release it. If you keep it prepare yourself to pay to keep it running.

This was a big recall concerning brake lines.
http://www.salon.com/tech/wire/2003/...bmw/index.html

Here is a post on the BMW forum on what to look for.

Valve cover gaskets, CV boots, thrust arm bushings, thermosdat, water pump, expansion tank, belts, hoses, transmission service (the 100k service thing is a crock), diff service, missping pixles on the displays, HVAC controls. All should have been done at 60k if anyone cared about the vehicle. If not, you will be doing them after you buy it. Look for an X5 with old school maintenance. It is expensive to keep them up if all they got was the bull.**** "factory recommended service". BMW required lots of preventative maintenance before they started selling the cars with "maintenance included" which basically equals almost no maintenance. Good luck.

he pretty much nailed everything except rear upper control arms and ball joints. if they havent been replaced by now they will need to be. the X5 suffers from suspension components wearing out since its mostly E39 5 series but with more weight
Guess what? I don't just browse or "troll" (which ever term fits) BMW forums, I am actually a member of a few & own the vehicles in which the forums are based on. Yes I actually OWN my X3 & new to the fam 335 xdrive coupe. So I think I speak from experience.. But of course, the op can always listen to folks with no ownership experience
Old 12-15-09, 08:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I gave a $550ea (IS-F $267) fuel injector example and you gave me a suspension part cost.I'm sure we can go tit for tat but most parts,especially bigger money components cost more than Lexus.Also dealer service labor per.
That is why I said this J.
Granted, some parts will be more expensive than others for both brands but the majority of parts are on par in price.
Thanks for the oil filter buddy I saved some $$ myself

Lexus labor rates especially in NYC is right up there with BMW. We will all have to open up the wallets
Old 12-15-09, 08:09 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

That is why I said this J.
Thanks for the oil filter buddy I saved some $$ myself

Lexus labor rates especially in NYC is right up there with BMW. We will all have to open up the wallets

I had delivery confirmation and saw the filter was delivered.
Old 12-15-09, 08:16 AM
LexFather

Guess what? I don't just browse or "troll" (which ever term fits) BMW forums, I am actually a member of a few & own the vehicles in which the forums are based on. Yes I actually OWN my X3 & new to the fam 335 xdrive coupe. So I think I speak from experience.. But of course, the op can always listen to folks with no ownership experience

There is NOTHING wrong with recommending to a person to check out that brand/car site for more info to read up on the car. How that is trolling is beyond me.

We are very very happy you are a member on BMW forums (many of us are)and you own 2 BMWs but again you miss the point entirely. The point is he can simply browse a forum to read up on topics of interest, in this case the X5 year(s) he is interested in. Clearly if he wants to join and ask, he can.

The internet has priceless info for consumers and car forums are a part of it. People browse/join forums to speak to owners or read on owners likes/dislikes. THUS the OP asked us "what are our thoughts".

Shall the rest of us post the BMW forums we are members on?

The vehicle in question is the X5 so maybe CDNRockies can chime in as he has one (a few other members do here as well but I can't remember any other names). Owning an X3, 335, Z8, M5 is irrelevant since its not a X5.

Last edited by LexFather; 12-15-09 at 08:20 AM.

Old 12-15-09, 08:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Its a mix Joe, sometimes BMW parts are cheaper and sometimes not, they are after all, different parts. All I am saying is that Lexus parts are not generally cheaper than BMW. If you say Lexus generally cost less to maintain after warranty, then I would agree with you because German cars are generally less relaible as it ages. Even that general view has its exceptions, some German cars can be problem free for years and years and some Japanese car can be lemon as well. When you see reliability ratings in surveys, they are nothing more than the average and not always absolute.
Old 12-15-09, 08:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Its a mix Joe, sometimes BMW parts are cheaper and sometimes not, they are after all, different parts. All I am saying is that Lexus parts are not generally cheaper than BMW. If you say Lexus generally cost less to maintain after warranty, then I would agree with you because German cars are generally less relaible as it ages. Even that general view has its exceptions, some German cars can be problem free for years and years and some Japanese car can be lemon as well. When you see reliability ratings in surveys, they are nothing more than the average and not always absolute.
Ok G,I can agree with most of that.
Old 12-15-09, 08:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by lex
because he likes the interior I guess (It's cream/like cashmere with comfort seats and nice wood) . Most of the other ones have no wood or no nav even..

And it's on the cheaper end too..
CR only goes back as far as '02 models, but for the '02 X5 the used car prediction is "Much Worse Than Average". Starting with '03-'04 and up, it improves.
Old 12-15-09, 02:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Early X5s were known for a defective engine fan switch that could cause overheating and engine fires. BMW replaced a number of engines (and sometimes vehicles).....under warranty.
Old 12-15-09, 02:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For the most part, BMW parts are indeed cheaper than Lexus parts. Some are ridiculously cheap.

But with 160k on the clock, as with any car, its pretty much nearing the end of its service life. Unless he snatches it for 3-4k, and has fairly good mechanical skills to save money on some repair costs, just avoid it.
Old 12-15-09, 06:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

tell your friend that buying an old German car with close to 100k miles on it would be dangerous imho. I would never own a German car without warranty. I know the appeal of buying such a nice looking performance SUV but tell your buddy to stick with something Japanese if he wants to buy a car that old

Quick Reply: 2000 - 2002 BMW X5... reliability?