Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2000 - 2002 BMW X5... reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-09, 12:47 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 - 2002 BMW X5... reliability?

My friend is thinking of buying a "new" SUV and is looking at a 2001 BMW X5 right now. It's perfect but just not sure of the reliability. Any of u guys have any input on that?

(it has the 4.4 liter engine)

Thanks.

Last edited by lex; 12-15-09 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-15-09, 05:59 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4.4 was reliable, but mileage and maintenance records will be his friend here... he should try 03-05 model years...
Old 12-15-09, 06:15 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've always felt a BMW (especially a turbo version) is a after 4/50 warranty dump vehicle.
BMW's parts and labor are very expensive.
I wouldn't buy a BMW used but buying certified used is the only way to go,IMO.
Old 12-15-09, 06:19 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

ok. thanks alot
Old 12-15-09, 06:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I have known a few people who have BMW pass warranty, some are very relaible while some are not. I would not use a general statment that all BMW are less reliable when pass warranty. Also, BMW parts are no more expensive than Lexus parts.
Old 12-15-09, 06:26 AM
LexFather

Not reliable but it is a fun vehicle for a SUV. The less miles the better and please ensure maintenance records are complete.

Old 12-15-09, 06:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
I have known a few people who have BMW pass warranty, some are very relaible while some are not. I would not use a general statment that all BMW are less reliable when pass warranty. Also, BMW parts are no more expensive than Lexus parts.
I can't agree.
Most BMW parts are more expensive and I know BMW service is definitely more expensive per hour at least in my area.
Old 12-15-09, 06:43 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not reliable but it is a fun vehicle for a SUV. The less miles the better and please ensure maintenance records are complete.
IIRC it has 161 556 miles. but the maintenance records seem to be complete and brake rotors and brake pads were recently replaced and it has new gearbox fluid and new oil. And the previous owner said that it's quiet - no weird noises...

but it seems way too much miles to me
Old 12-15-09, 06:52 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The engines blow up & they crash & burn..

Like any other vehicle, maintainence is key.

After all of the internet responses, what are you going to tell your friend op?
Old 12-15-09, 06:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lex
IIRC it has 161 556 miles. but the maintenance records seem to be complete and brake rotors and brake pads were recently replaced and it has new gearbox fluid and new oil. And the previous owner said that it's quiet - no weird noises...

but it seems way too much miles to me
Avoid like the plague.

Old 12-15-09, 06:57 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree with your statement. I was skeptical prior to 2006 after swallowing all of the doom & gloom internet banter.. Guess what? It was all hot air.
Old 12-15-09, 07:08 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I agree with your statement. I was skeptical prior to 2006 after swallowing all of the doom & gloom internet banter.. Guess what? It was all hot air.
Dash,do you agree that most BMW parts are more expensive than Lexus?
Old 12-15-09, 07:19 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Joeb427
There will be those that are going to tell you otherwise from common knowledge. If you read posts, you know what to expect. Think about it for a seconds. We have read here post after post of issues especially after warranty. The car has over 150k miles.

Will it run? Of course. Will it cost an arm and a leg? Yup. It is up to the potential buyer if paying for out of warranty costs (which WILL NOT be a rare occurrence) is worth it.

Anyone can go and browse the BMW forums and read the same thing. Lease it then release it. If you keep it prepare yourself to pay to keep it running.

This was a big recall concerning brake lines.
http://www.salon.com/tech/wire/2003/...bmw/index.html

Here is a post on the BMW forum on what to look for.

Valve cover gaskets, CV boots, thrust arm bushings, thermosdat, water pump, expansion tank, belts, hoses, transmission service (the 100k service thing is a crock), diff service, missping pixles on the displays, HVAC controls. All should have been done at 60k if anyone cared about the vehicle. If not, you will be doing them after you buy it. Look for an X5 with old school maintenance. It is expensive to keep them up if all they got was the bull.**** "factory recommended service". BMW required lots of preventative maintenance before they started selling the cars with "maintenance included" which basically equals almost no maintenance. Good luck.

he pretty much nailed everything except rear upper control arms and ball joints. if they havent been replaced by now they will need to be. the X5 suffers from suspension components wearing out since its mostly E39 5 series but with more weight

Old 12-15-09, 07:20 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the in-laws owns a 4.4 X5, and based on his experiences, I wouldn't recommend it. If it wasn't for the hit from depreciation, he would've long gotten rid of it. He's had a number of issues, some smaller than others, but most notable being the electronics and full replacement of the nav system on his very low mileage vehicle. It's otherwise a nice and solid SUV, though not the most practical IMO.

As to the cost of parts replacement, I'd say it depends on the dealer, but it definitely is high. With that many miles on it, I personally wouldn't do it, or at the very least, do the homework so that he knows what he'd be getting into.
Old 12-15-09, 07:26 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Avoid like the plague.
With that mileage, BIG +1

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I have a very good friend who does BMW restoration as well as Lexus/Toyota and many others as his business and have seen his invoices... BMW parts are MUCH cheaper than Toyota Lexus...

Quick Reply: 2000 - 2002 BMW X5... reliability?