Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Toyota Hybrid Preview

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-09, 07:51 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Toyota Hybrid Preview

Ahead of the Detroit Auto Show Toyota released two images of a new hybrid concept that they will unveil.

PRESS RELEASE:

Toyota to Debut Dedicated Hybrid Concept at 2010 North American International Auto Show

TORRANCE, Calif., December 14, 2009 - - Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. will stage the world debut of a new dedicated hybrid concept vehicle during the 2010 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The vehicle will be revealed during a news conference held on Monday, January 11th in the Riverview Ballroom at COBO Hall. News conference schedules are being finalized and exact timing will be revealed in the coming weeks.

Old 12-15-09, 08:25 AM
LexFather

Hybrid IQ?

Old 12-15-09, 08:37 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting wheels...
Old 12-15-09, 08:46 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hybrid IQ?
I was hoping that this was going to be a compact 4 door Insight competitor. I don't see a market for a 2 door 4 seat supermini hybrid, but I guess we'll see in a few weeks what this is!
Old 12-15-09, 08:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I was hoping that this was going to be a compact 4 door Insight competitor. I don't see a market for a 2 door 4 seat supermini hybrid, but I guess we'll see in a few weeks what this is!
I'm looking at where the headlight is and how short that hood is....seems very small.

Here is the old IQ concept.

Production

Old 12-15-09, 09:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

definetly something iq based... but then again, they said next yaris will be based on iq tech.
Old 12-15-09, 09:57 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
definetly something iq based... but then again, they said next yaris will be based on iq tech.
I remember hearing that. Maybe all of Toyota's future subcompacts will have the iQ's impossibly short nose? Something like this I suppose...

Last edited by (Cj); 12-15-09 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-15-09, 10:46 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's something larger than a 2 door. I think I can see a pane of glass behind the driver's side door one.
Old 12-15-09, 10:53 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm looking at where the headlight is and how short that hood is....seems very small.

Here is the old IQ concept.

Production
Whenever I see the IQ I think of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMA-CQAFGyU
Old 12-15-09, 11:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

keep in mind that iQ while having , what it looks like small engine bay, can fit all engines that Yaris can - 1.0l petrol, 1.33 petrol and 1.4 D4D diesel engine ;-).

and front driver/passenger space in iQ is bigger than in Corolla... even in the back, i could sit behind passanger, despite what on the outside seems like very small vehicle.
Old 12-15-09, 11:51 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I can only imagine the insane mpg that little hybrid will get. I am still tripping out on the fact that the RX400h get 30+ mpg. I can imagine this thing will be in the mid 50 mpg
Old 12-15-09, 12:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I can only imagine the insane mpg that little hybrid will get. I am still tripping out on the fact that the RX400h get 30+ mpg. I can imagine this thing will be in the mid 50 mpg
One would hope. I believe that Toyota needs to invest in a small motor for their hybrids (say 1.6 to 2.0L) and pull out all of the stops. Utilize dual valve timing and direct injection. Offset the costs by equipping Yaris, Corolla, Matrix, with them. Offer turbo powered ones for HS, Rav 4, and Camry. The 1.5L and 1.8L engine are not optimal engines for the likes of a Prius.
Old 12-15-09, 01:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
One would hope. I believe that Toyota needs to invest in a small motor for their hybrids (say 1.6 to 2.0L) and pull out all of the stops. Utilize dual valve timing and direct injection. Offset the costs by equipping Yaris, Corolla, Matrix, with them. Offer turbo powered ones for HS, Rav 4, and Camry. The 1.5L and 1.8L engine are not optimal engines for the likes of a Prius.
I am not sure what you wrote there, whatsoever. Literally scratching my head (:P).
you think they should use 1.6l to 2.0l instead of 1.5l to 1.8l? What is the difference between them exactly? They should use turbos in hybrids? Valvematic and Direct Injection in atkison cycle engines?

Would you feel better if they stick those stickers on the engine cover ;-).
Because putting turbo in hybrids is ... what exactly is the electric motor than turbo? You want bigger motors? Needs bigger batteries - thats why GS450h is so fast.

As discussed before, they use atkinson cycle because engines in HSD are already optimized to run at certain rpms, which negates positive sides of valvematic and direct injection, and leaves us with cost and complexity.

Who cares what is written on the engine cover anyway, both 1.8 HSD in Prius and 3.5l in RX are class leading engines. They are probably going to be expanding them up and down, but there is no big cost difference between 1.6l and 1.8l and 2.0l engine, cost and technology is in the HSD system.
Old 12-15-09, 01:08 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by (Cj)
its called a prius!
Old 12-15-09, 01:38 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
I am not sure what you wrote there, whatsoever. Literally scratching my head (:P).
you think they should use 1.6l to 2.0l instead of 1.5l to 1.8l? What is the difference between them exactly? They should use turbos in hybrids? Valvematic and Direct Injection in atkison cycle engines?

Would you feel better if they stick those stickers on the engine cover ;-).
Because putting turbo in hybrids is ... what exactly is the electric motor than turbo? You want bigger motors? Needs bigger batteries - thats why GS450h is so fast.

As discussed before, they use atkinson cycle because engines in HSD are already optimized to run at certain rpms, which negates positive sides of valvematic and direct injection, and leaves us with cost and complexity.

Who cares what is written on the engine cover anyway, both 1.8 HSD in Prius and 3.5l in RX are class leading engines. They are probably going to be expanding them up and down, but there is no big cost difference between 1.6l and 1.8l and 2.0l engine, cost and technology is in the HSD system.
I wouldn't call the 1.8L class leading, which is why I think that a suitable replacement is in order. I didn't say that they should use turbos in hybrids. However, you assert that the electric motor can be compared to a turbo (which is accurate) however current battery technology greatly limits the practical amount of power from a hybrid vs. a turbo. I've never heard of the atkinson cycle eliminating the need for DI or valvematic and I'm no novice when it comes to cars. Where you got the idea from is beyond me, but perhaps you should write to Lexus and BMW and tell them that they are doing it wrong.

Quick Reply: New Toyota Hybrid Preview