Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Civic Hybrid Owners Sue Honda Over Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-09, 02:44 PM
LexFather

Honda also had to pay back customers for their "fast" odometers that were not accurate, making people go out of warrenty/leases faster than normal and other problems so I am not too surprised.

I can understand the frustration of some of these owners b/c for many, the #1 reason they bought it was for high MPG. Many of these people are very passionate about it and clearly escalated.

Lawyers though are the ones making out with the dough as this is more litigation.

The EPA doesn't test every car. They test a few and take the car manufacturers word on MOST of the lineup. Maybe the beef should be with the EPA as some of you have stated?

I wonder if any Prius owners has done the same?

Old 12-16-09, 07:57 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow... that's a ridiculous lawsuit if I ever saw one.

maybe I should sue Toyota because i'm getting 5.8L/100km (38mpg) on my current tank and it advertises 3.8L/100km (61mpg) as an average mileage.

Oh wait, it's the middle of winter, it's freaking -30°C, I have winter tyres, running on winter fuel blend and I have the heater running.

Honestly, are people too stupid to take responsibility of their own actions? did they service the car regularly? did they maintain proper tyre pressure? Do they drive with the windows up at 70mph? Did they drive like a normal person (and I don't mean drive like they used to which could be a leadfoot for all I know)?? Driving like a granny doesn't get you better mileage but neither does being Michael Schummacher.

If there's one thing I've noticed in the past few years tracking hybrid mileage, it's that the Prius is akin to cable internet. It's capable of extremely high mileage but it's super variable

The Civic Hybrid is more like (A)DSL internet. You get a lower max mpg but it's more consistent and you can get the average mpg most of the time.
Old 12-16-09, 09:09 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only in America...
Old 12-17-09, 04:22 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The EPA doesn't test every car. They test a few and take the car manufacturers word on MOST of the lineup.
This is actually a true statement, except when it comes to hybrids. The EPA tests *all* hybrids.
Old 12-17-09, 09:58 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I guess there are certain people who do not understand the concept of "fuel economy will vary depending on road and driving conditions among all else"???
Old 12-17-09, 10:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Chevy Volt got an EPA rating of 230mpg.

Lawsuits are gonna fly out of lawyers' asses for that one...
Old 12-17-09, 01:31 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The Chevy Volt got an EPA rating of 230mpg.

Lawsuits are gonna fly out of lawyers' asses for that one...
I thought that was Chevy's claim. I didn't think the EPA had rated it yet.
Old 12-17-09, 02:26 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The Volt has not been rated by the EPA.
Old 12-17-09, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I thought that was Chevy's claim. I didn't think the EPA had rated it yet.
That's correct. The 230 MPG claim was done under extremely favorable, hypothetical test conditions that almost certainly wll not (and cannot) be duplicated in everyday driving. And the engineers are still tweaking the car...the final production version has not been OK'd yet.
Old 12-17-09, 04:25 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, but all it takes is ONE person to achieve even close to the EPA estimates and the plaintifs are S.O.L.
Old 12-17-09, 04:29 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

sounds like the honda owners should have bought a prius lol
Old 12-17-09, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
Ok, but all it takes is ONE person to achieve even close to the EPA estimates and the plaintifs are S.O.L.
Not only that, but Canadian models may (?) get different mileage than U.S. ones due to different engines, gasoline blends, and emission regulations. The Canadian weather, on the average, is colder, too, which cuts into gas mileage.....though, where you live in Vancouver, it is usually milder than much of the rest of Canada because of the nearby Pacific.
Old 12-17-09, 07:21 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
And of course there's plenty who have achieved the EPA estimates.

Extraordinary mileage has been achieved by hypermilers. Wonder if they should sue because the EPA underestimated the potential of their cars.

I regularly get 40 MPG in my Yaris combined city/highway driving normally without any hypermiling techniques (even driving 75mph, ect.). The EPA rating is underrated at 29/36. I'd have to do 90 mph to get that low.

And look at those guys who achieved 81.5 MPG in the Fusion Hybrid...

http://www.cleancartalk.com/clean-ca...ngle-gas-tank/
Old 12-17-09, 07:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YARIS!
And of course there's plenty who have achieved the EPA estimates.

Extraordinary mileage has been achieved by hypermilers. Wonder if they should sue because the EPA underestimated the potential of their cars.

I regularly get 40 MPG in my Yaris combined city/highway driving normally without any hypermiling techniques (even driving 75mph, ect.). The EPA rating is underrated at 29/36. I'd have to do 90 mph to get that low.

And look at those guys who achieved 81.5 MPG in the Fusion Hybrid...

http://www.cleancartalk.com/clean-ca...ngle-gas-tank/
If, by "hypermiling", you mean coasting with the clutch depressed or the transmsission in neutral, that can be hazardous, especially on steep downhills. It can overload the brakes when you try to stop, or put stresses on the transmission/clutch when putting it back in gear.
Old 12-18-09, 05:45 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If, by "hypermiling", you mean coasting with the clutch depressed or the transmsission in neutral, that can be hazardous, especially on steep downhills. It can overload the brakes when you try to stop, or put stresses on the transmission/clutch when putting it back in gear.
Hypermiling can consist of literally dozens of highly skilled driving techniques. Hardcore hypermilers try to use all of them, including, not coasting, but actually turning the engine off while slowing, filling tires to 60+ lbs, running synthetic oil, drafting, painfully slow acceleration, 50 MPH on the highway, no a/c, windows rolled up....There are many, many more techniques. Using just a couple of very basic hypermiling techniques, I was able to get 36 mpg out of my V6 Accord.

Quick Reply: Civic Hybrid Owners Sue Honda Over Mileage