Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoblog First Drive: 2010 Lexus LS460 Sport Package is F-ing with perfection

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-09, 03:23 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good review, it is nice to see Lexus doing things at their own pace and in their own way, not feeling the need to copy what everyone else is doing. Thus, doing things in the Lexus way and coming out with great results.
Old 12-16-09, 07:18 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frank's reply to my email:

Hey Michael,

My editor sent me your email asking about the suspension on the LS. When we started our drive in the 2010 Lexus LS Sport the suspension was not in Sport mode. Even though it had the Sport Package, the ride felt like any other 460. When switched to Sport mode it got a bit firmer but not harsh. The handling, however, got much better. Body roll disappeared and the car was nearly impossible to get loose. For the majority of our drive we kept it in Sport. I hope that helps. Thanks for reading Autoblog and for reaching out.
Old 12-16-09, 07:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

Hey Michael,

My editor sent me your email asking about the suspension on the LS. When we started our drive in the 2010 Lexus LS Sport the suspension was not in Sport mode. Even though it had the Sport Package, the ride felt like any other 460. When switched to Sport mode it got a bit firmer but not harsh. The handling, however, got much better. Body roll disappeared and the car was nearly impossible to get loose. For the majority of our drive we kept it in Sport. I hope that helps. Thanks for reading Autoblog and for reaching out.
Thanks dude

You know I often wonder how many times a car has been tested incorrectly....

Last edited by LexFather; 12-16-09 at 07:27 PM.

Old 12-16-09, 07:24 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Wow! It looks like they've done it again! I'll have to go take a look when I get a chance.
Old 12-16-09, 07:31 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

What I take away from that is that the Sport model may be the best LS yet. If you're doing the day-to-day thing and want a smooth, Lexus ride then leave it in normal. If you come up against some corners or spirited driving, flip it to "Sport" and you have a capable, willing dance partner.

What more could you ask for?
Old 12-16-09, 08:50 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading many good reviews about the sport package. I should have waited for one to at least test drove it.

But that's a nice color LS.
Old 12-17-09, 02:07 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so is the 'aero kit' automatically part of the 'sport package' and the car cannot be ordered without? this is a bit unclear to me where it says it will be offered separately in a new appearance package.
Yes that is correct. Aero kit is part of the spot package. You can physically remove the aero kit, but i'm certain you will be left with mount holes/slots in the front and rear bumper covers.
Old 12-17-09, 02:42 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Color me impressed. Just wish they had put more effort into the body kit because even though the LS Sport isn't a last minute fluff job, its tack-on pieces suggest otherwise :/
Old 12-17-09, 10:38 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

The back looks good but the front end looks cheap as hell. I don't understand what Lexus is doing with these add ons on this car. The car's front looked damn good before.
Old 12-17-09, 10:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Great review, but Lexus has to do A LOT more still even with this Sports package, they should make it available for the 460L version too and allow it to be available with any other options as well, not just this one inflexible configuration, with interior color/trim of THEIR choice, not the customers',... etc, ......
Old 12-17-09, 11:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

Hey Michael,

Thanks Michael for looking into it further, it sounds like the sport mode is pretty well tuned by Lexus. I wonder how the relaibilty will be, as with most air suspensions, parts will fail after 4 or 5 years. The GX470 and the Audi A8 has air suspension, the GX only in the rear, and aome owners have a lot issues as the system aa it gets old. Hopefully, Lexus have learned from the GX's air suspension and improve upon it which is something Lexus usually do anyways. Now all Lexus need to do is make a AWD version of the LS sport for us folks up north.
Old 12-17-09, 12:25 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Thanks Michael for looking into it further, it sounds like the sport mode is pretty well tuned by Lexus. I wonder how the relaibilty will be, as with most air suspensions, parts will fail after 4 or 5 years. The GX470 and the Audi A8 has air suspension, the GX only in the rear, and aome owners have a lot issues as the system aa it gets old. Hopefully, Lexus have learned from the GX's air suspension and improve upon it which is something Lexus usually do anyways. Now all Lexus need to do is make a AWD version of the LS sport for us folks up north.
My son in law's '04 LX 460 rear suspension went after 4 years and 65K miles.I believe he had air suspension.
He traded the truck in and never fixed it.
Old 12-17-09, 12:58 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

From the sound of things, this is basically an LS with an air suspension & body kit. Here I was thinking that Lexus took their time to re-engineer the suspension geometry of this car. This is a cop out on the part of Lexus

Bose air suspension system anyone?
Old 12-17-09, 01:07 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
From the sound of things, this is basically an LS with an air suspension & body kit. Here I was thinking that Lexus took their time to re-engineer the suspension geometry of this car. This is a cop out on the part of Lexus

Bose air suspension system anyone?
The standard LS460 had the optional air suspension in 2009, but I guess it was tune differently. I read an article a few years ago about the Bose active suspension system, not the air. It was suppose to the fsatest acting active suspension around, the suspension would ride smooth on straight road and stiffen up when you are on a windy road.
I agree with you that it is somewhat of a cop out, but on top of the air suspension and body kit, Lexus also added a fast shifting transmission and performance brakes.
Old 12-17-09, 01:40 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like what theyve done to the performance of it

but why couldnt they stay with the original grill design
i really dont like the new series of grills...

they couldve just added some F emblems to the original grill and changed the bumper slightly and that wouldve been fine

Quick Reply: Autoblog First Drive: 2010 Lexus LS460 Sport Package is F-ing with perfection