Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoblog First Drive: 2010 Lexus LS460 Sport Package is F-ing with perfection

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-09, 01:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I really like the new wheels on the car. I love lots of spokes.
Old 12-17-09, 01:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
From the sound of things, this is basically an LS with an air suspension & body kit. Here I was thinking that Lexus took their time to re-engineer the suspension geometry of this car. This is a cop out on the part of Lexus

Bose air suspension system anyone?
From the review it appears the changes they made to tune the suspension work pretty well so I'm not sure why you are poo-pooing it. Electronic dampening changes in the factory suspension and bigger, stickier rubber seem to be an effective combination. This clearly isn't supposed to be an "F" car... the sport model brings a nice combination of looks and performance upgrades including transmission, suspension tweaks and big brakes.

http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/sport/index.html
LS 460 Sport includes:
- Brembo® brakes [2]
- 19-in split-10-spoke forged alloy wheels [3] with summer tires
- Sport-tuned air suspension
- Sport exterior trim and grille
- Black with Saddle Tan Accent perforated leather interior trim, matte dark brown ash burl wood interior trim
- Sport front seats
- Sport leather-trimmed steering wheel with paddle shifters and downshift rev-matching

Let's not take the thread off topic on Dr Bose's linear electromagnetic motor suspension (which is not air suspension) - start a new thread if you want to discuss that or better yet search the old ones up and bump 'em.
Old 12-17-09, 02:04 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I really like the new wheels on the car. I love lots of spokes.
A pain to clean,though.
Old 12-17-09, 02:06 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
A pain to clean,though.
especially with those brakes
Old 12-17-09, 03:44 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
From the review it appears the changes they made to tune the suspension work pretty well so I'm not sure why you are poo-pooing it. Electronic dampening changes in the factory suspension and bigger, stickier rubber seem to be an effective combination. This clearly isn't supposed to be an "F" car... the sport model brings a nice combination of looks and performance upgrades including transmission, suspension tweaks and big brakes.

http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/sport/index.html
LS 460 Sport includes:
- Brembo® brakes [2]
- 19-in split-10-spoke forged alloy wheels [3] with summer tires
- Sport-tuned air suspension
- Sport exterior trim and grille
- Black with Saddle Tan Accent perforated leather interior trim, matte dark brown ash burl wood interior trim
- Sport front seats
- Sport leather-trimmed steering wheel with paddle shifters and downshift rev-matching

Let's not take the thread off topic on Dr Bose's linear electromagnetic motor suspension (which is not air suspension) - start a new thread if you want to discuss that or better yet search the old ones up and bump 'em.
Lexus Canada mentions that the LS using Adaptive Variable Suspension on the front wheels only . Not sure if this is a mistake on the Lexus Canada but it is the first time I have seen Toyota use TEMS (AVS) on only the front.
Old 12-17-09, 04:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
From the sound of things, this is basically an LS with an air suspension & body kit. Here I was thinking that Lexus took their time to re-engineer the suspension geometry of this car. This is a cop out on the part of Lexus

Bose air suspension system anyone?
you are getting really sad... either you did not bother to read any of the reviews, or you did and yet made the same comment... which would be even worse i guess.

seems like lexus is rocking the boat

;-)
Old 12-17-09, 04:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Thanks Michael for looking into it further, it sounds like the sport mode is pretty well tuned by Lexus. I wonder how the relaibilty will be, as with most air suspensions, parts will fail after 4 or 5 years. The GX470 and the Audi A8 has air suspension, the GX only in the rear, and aome owners have a lot issues as the system aa it gets old. Hopefully, Lexus have learned from the GX's air suspension and improve upon it which is something Lexus usually do anyways. Now all Lexus need to do is make a AWD version of the LS sport for us folks up north.
lx system had far more issues.... gx not that much (newer system). Of course, all these suvs are heavily used. GS and LS have had air suspensions for a while, and reliability has been improved in new models... it is still an lexus.
Old 12-17-09, 08:14 PM
LexFather

I wonder how many Lexus are going to produce?

Old 12-23-09, 07:59 PM
LexFather

I was picking my car up for service and Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett had a Sport model parked outside out in front. Looked really good in person. The interior looked just as good in person as in photos. I really like this model. The rear of the sport had really good wheel fitment but the front to me was slightly higher with some wheel gap. I would like to see wider rear wheels on here. The brakes are HUGE, clearly from the IS-F but no drilled rotors.

List was 74k and there was no ML system. Is this SE allocation? I cannot see why this would have NAV but no ML system.

Here are some comparison pics of a similar color 07 SWB I saw there.

Old 12-25-09, 05:29 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Its great that Lexus is starting to offer a REAL SPORT package.

Its not so great that add on body kit and small wheels make the car look horrible and the styling is even more similar to the Camry.

Memo to Lexus: Please study MB S class sport package and BMW to see how its done. Proper stance and wheels is everything.
Tack on body kits and mesh grilles dont work on a luxury sedan=Fail.
Old 12-28-09, 07:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Looking at those pictures, the LS sport need to stand out more from the regular LS.
Old 12-28-09, 07:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Other than the body kit, the different grill is supposed to make it stand out more too, too bad they botched the design/choice of the sports grill
Old 12-28-09, 07:45 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Looking at those pictures, the LS sport need to stand out more from the regular LS.
To me,the LS's look is so far from sport that a body kit,new grill and a set of 19" wheels isn't going to do anything.
Old 12-28-09, 07:50 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
To me,the LS's look is so far from sport that a body kit,new grill and a set of 19" wheels isn't going to do anything.
The S-class look is even further from sport, but they did it right with their AMG kit and wheels, & makes the car look more aggressive and sportier.
I would not buy a S-class, or any Mercedes coupes/convertible without the AMG body kit and wheels ...
Old 12-28-09, 07:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
The S-class look is even further from sport, but they did it right with their AMG kit and wheels, & makes the car look more aggressive and sportier.
I would not buy a S-class, or any Mercedes coupes/convertible without the AMG body kit and wheels ...
That's true but the S-Class styling has some pizazz to begin with.
The LS is kind of boring and the sport add ons don't add much to the look,IMO.

Quick Reply: Autoblog First Drive: 2010 Lexus LS460 Sport Package is F-ing with perfection