Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes boss: Maybach is "is not significant or relevant"

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-09, 11:12 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I thought it should be a foregone conclusion for a while ?? A car based on the PREVIOUS GENERATION S-class, for $350K ....
Old 12-17-09, 01:23 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I thought it should be a foregone conclusion for a while ?? A car based on the PREVIOUS GENERATION S-class, for $350K ....
And that is a bad thing?

The W140 S class platform was chosen because it could handle the extra weight and was deemed capable for the Maybach. Why throw out more money for R&D when you have an existing platform capable of handling the requirements?

Should Lexus ES owners complain because their car rides on the platform of the Camry (which is much cheaper than the ES)?
Old 12-17-09, 02:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I like the Maybach but when you spend that kind of money on a car I think a Phantom will be more appealing and attractive
Old 12-17-09, 04:29 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why we always talkin about the cars that we cant afford....lets talk about 2011 prius...
Old 12-17-09, 05:55 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
And that is a bad thing?

The W140 S class platform was chosen because it could handle the extra weight and was deemed capable for the Maybach. Why throw out more money for R&D when you have an existing platform capable of handling the requirements?

Should Lexus ES owners complain because their car rides on the platform of the Camry (which is much cheaper than the ES)?
LOL yes, only ~$10K cheaper I can't believe you use the ES as comparison
ES is an entry level luxury car that cost less than $50K.
ANY car costing $350k+ SHOULD BE EXTRA SPECIAL, and it isn't, and it cost twice as much as the top S-class which it is based on, that is one of the main reason why it is a flop.
Old 12-17-09, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by lims407
why we always talkin about the cars that we cant afford....lets talk about 2011 prius...
I disagree. There are plenty of posts (and threads) here in CAR CHAT and CL about the Prius.....and, of course, other dedicated Prius forums. We rarely talk about the Maybach here on CL.....this is one of the few specific threads I can remember on it, although Och just started one on Maybach electronics. And....we also talk about other cars most of us can't afford, so the Maybach just joined the club.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-17-09 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-17-09, 06:34 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I am sure you have heard of the Toyota century, it does not sell many units but they still have it.

I think it would be great if Lexus could make a limo that has that extra little bit, but something that looks decent (the century looks terrible).
The Century is antiquated in every measure. It's embarassing that Lexus still sells it virtually non-updated from 13-14 years ago when the design came out. Honestly even when it came out a lot of aspects of its design looked like they belonged in the late 80s/early 90s, not 1996 and SURELY not in 2009/2010.

Even mentioning the Century in the same breath as Maybach, Rolls, Bentley, etc is ridiculous aside to say you think Toyota could take the Century name and make something worth all of the hooplah and praise it currently only receives from the most loyal of Toyota fan boys.
Old 12-17-09, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Threxx
The Century is antiquated in every measure. It's embarassing that Lexus still sells it virtually non-updated from 13-14 years ago when the design came out.
Maybe a little off-topic, Threxx, but I actually LIKE the looks of the Century. It is, IMO, a refreshing change from the present cookie-cutter world of jelly-bean, humpback-whale, aero-shape vehicles. I agree with you, though, that it is not in the Maybach's class, luxury-wise......as you pointed out, it was not meant to be.

Old 12-17-09, 07:14 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I disagree. There are plenty of posts (and threads) here in CAR CHAT and CL about the Prius.....and, of course, other dedicated Prius forums. We rarely talk about the Maybach here on CL.....this is one of the few specific threads I can remember on it, although Och just started one on Maybach electronics. And....we also talk about other cars most of us can't afford, so the Maybach just joined the club.
guess u didnt find humor out of my comment
Old 12-17-09, 07:20 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um, didn't the head of MB also call all the competitors to the C-klasse not significant or relevant?
Old 12-17-09, 07:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
Um, didn't the head of MB also call all the competitors to the C-klasse not significant or relevant?
If he considers the BMW 3-series or Audi A4 to be insignificant, then I'll sell him some beach property in Kansas (and, I know he's got money).
Old 12-17-09, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

guess u didnt find humor out of my comment
No, but if it was not meant to be serious, then you can disregard my comment.

It's no joke, though, to say that most of us can't afford Maybachs. But that's also true about many of the exotics that people drool over.....Ferrari, Lambo, McClaren, Saleen, etc.......

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-17-09 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-17-09, 07:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV
And that is a bad thing?

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
LOL yes, only ~$10K cheaper I can't believe you use the ES as comparison
ES is an entry level luxury car that cost less than $50K.
ANY car costing $350k+ SHOULD BE EXTRA SPECIAL, and it isn't, and it cost twice as much as the top S-class which it is based on, that is one of the main reason why it is a flop.
Lol, maybe he should have mentioned the E class coupe/CLK based on the C-class. It was quite odd to bring up the ES

I think people realized it just wasn't "special" enough otherwise their own man in charge wouldn't call it out. I hate to be negative about a car this expensive but the S-class looks but longer look simply wasn't prestigious enough.

This is.

Old 12-17-09, 07:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
simply wasn't prestigious enough.

This is.

You got that right.....a truly beautiful car.

And, for once, unlike so many other cars, there's NO shortage of wood paneling inside. I think, in some ways, its interior is better than Maybach's.

See the traditional Silver Flying Lady grille ornament? To show you part of what your 300K buys with a RR, at the touch of a button, a motor drops it down under the grille, seals it off with a matching panel, and keeps pesky teen-agers from ripping it off like they do with the logos on many cars (they ripped the chrome logo off my Celica's trunk a number of years ago).
Old 12-17-09, 08:51 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

This thread is so pointless, to this day, some people still don't see the difference between a Maybach and a premium luxury sedan.

seriously?

Quick Reply: Mercedes boss: Maybach is "is not significant or relevant"