Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes boss: Maybach is "is not significant or relevant"

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 04:29 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I want to see Lexus put something out to compete with those cars.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's not enough of a market for it. In fact, that is the whole issue of this thread.
I am sure you have heard of the Toyota century, it does not sell many units but they still have it.

I think it would be great if Lexus could make a limo that has that extra little bit, but something that looks decent (the century looks terrible).
The above is the conversation I was having mmarshall

Originally Posted by Threxx
The Century is antiquated in every measure. It's embarassing that Lexus still sells it virtually non-updated from 13-14 years ago when the design came out. Honestly even when it came out a lot of aspects of its design looked like they belonged in the late 80s/early 90s, not 1996 and SURELY not in 2009/2010.

Even mentioning the Century in the same breath as Maybach, Rolls, Bentley, etc is ridiculous aside to say you think Toyota could take the Century name and make something worth all of the hooplah and praise it currently only receives from the most loyal of Toyota fan boys.
Going on the context of the statement that mmarshall made I was refering to the fact that they (lexus) don't need to sell many cars, (here is where I used an example of a car that does not sell many units but is still in production after all these years, the Century) so if Lexus was to make a car to compete with the Maybach I think they should do it.

In no way did I imply that the Century was a competitor to the Maybach, in fact if you read my original statement that I wanted them to put out a car that competes with the Maybach should actually have you understand that fact.

BTW, century is made and sold by Toyota, not lexus.
Old 12-18-09, 04:42 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The above is the conversation I was having mmarshall

Going on the context of the statement that mmarshall made I was refering to the fact that they (lexus) don't need to sell many cars, (here is where I used an example of a car that does not sell many units but is still in production after all these years, the Century) so if Lexus was to make a car to compete with the Maybach I think they should do it.

In no way did I imply that the Century was a competitor to the Maybach, in fact if you read my original statement that I wanted them to put out a car that competes with the Maybach should actually have you understand that fact.

BTW, century is made and sold by Toyota, not lexus.
They should just make a next generation Century with a revised V12 and slap a Lexus badge on it. It could be Lexus's super flagship sedan that fills the gap between the current lineup and the LFA. Or they could revise the V12 and put it in the LS
Old 12-18-09, 04:45 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Technically, Zetsche is right. Maybach exists only as a low-volume competitor to Rolls/Bentley, two other low-volume makes. None of the three have a significant impact on the worldwide auto market, outside of a few niche big-bucks areas like Manhattan and Hollywood/Beverly Hills.
you forgot dubai and the mid east
as well as china

the amount of money flowing through those markets are much bigger than beverly hills nowadays
Old 12-18-09, 11:52 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus should make cars to compete in those categories, Engine wise i dont think they need a V12, We do have afterall the v8-hybrid that has "V12 like" performance. I say make a low reving detuned version of the LFA's V10, mate that to a hybrid and voila, a ridiculously fast car.

Toyota/Lexus would have to create a seperate brand for this car. It cannot be called a lexus. It should b an exclusive brand, expensive, but LFA expensive.

Styling is gonna b there biggest challange, while i love the new L-Finess look, the super rich associate the Lexus look with the Toyotas look as they are quite similar and that kinda hurts the brand. They can use a stretched LS platform but it has to have a different brand name, different design cues, and very refined and over the top super luxurious interior.

I beleive if done right this will sell very well. but It can go very wrong too haha

Originally Posted by UberNoob
you forgot dubai and the mid east
as well as china

the amount of money flowing through those markets are much bigger than beverly hills nowadays

Not as much as u think, Yes we have al few bentleys and rollers around, but maybach doesnt do so well here. Like everyone said, its just tooo similar to an S and doesnt really give u that extra moneys worth. most people here tend to go S, 7series or A8 if they want to get driven around in.

Some of the riches cats here just use an S350 (one of many many many cars they own) if they want to get driven around in. They Keep it simple and understated.

Last edited by ndk83; 12-18-09 at 11:56 PM.