Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW unveils plug-in electric 1-Series Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-09, 04:51 AM
LexFather

Post BMW unveils plug-in electric 1-Series Coupe

BMW will ignite the second phase in its 'project i' city car initiative at the Detroit motor show, with the unveiling of a new plug-in electric version of the 1-series coupe.

Known as the BMW 1-series Concept ActiveE, the new four-seater previews a zero-emission BMW that will to go into a limited lease programme for preferred customers in selected markets.

See the BMW 1-series Concept ActiveE pics

This will include the UK, where the new car is expected to form a major part of BMW’s recently awarded official London Olympics car supplier programme from late 2010.

Conceived along the same lines as the front-wheel-drive Mini E – the car credited with kick-starting the BMW Group’s 'project i' initiative - the ActiveE switches the emphasis to rear-wheel drive. It uses a synchronous electric motor mounted within the rear axle casing to provide propulsion.

With 170bhp and 184lb ft of torque, the brushless unit draws energy from two separate banks of lithium ion batteries – one where the fuel tank usually resides and the second in place of the engine.

Its strong torque sees it deliver impressive straightline performance. BMW claims 0-37mph in just 4.5sec and 0-62mph in less than nine seconds. The top speed, meanwhile, is limited to 90mph to safeguard the level of charge within the batteries.

BMW puts its latest concept car’s real world range at 100 miles – sufficient, it says, for the ActiveE to see to most urban-based motoring needs.

Recharging of the batteries is achieved via a standard power socket. A high-charge function provides the new BMW with a recharge time of just three hours at 50 amps/240 volts in Europe.

Following the example laid down by the Mini E, the 1-series Concept ActiveE also stows kinetic electricity. A generator provides a considerable engine braking effect on a trailing throttle in a process which, BMW claims, helps increases the range by up to 20 per cent.
Autocar

Although the new concept car adheres to the look of more conventional 1-series coupe models, detailed changes such as the inclusion of low-drag wheels shod with low-resistance tyres, additional composite cladding underneath and smaller apertures for cooling within the front bumper have helped lower drag.

At this early stage, BMW is not providing too many details about the lease programme that it has developed for the production version of the 1-series Concept ActiveE, which is expected to make an appearance at the Paris motor show in September 2010. However, expect prices to mirror those of the Mini E, which is offered at a monthly payment of £550.

http://germancarscene.com/2009/12/17...oncept-activee

Old 12-17-09, 06:14 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

very cool....!

100 mile range is more than enough.
Old 12-17-09, 06:29 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a few more days until I pick up my diesel BMW 118d! I can't wait.
Old 12-17-09, 08:39 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

160 km range is really good, but I bet it varies on how you drive lol
Old 12-17-09, 08:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

BMWs are known for their superlative hydraulic power steering feel (some of them feel so precise you can almost drive the car blindfolded). I just wonder if the electric power-steering pump in this car will be able to maintain that excellent, telepathic feel. Of course, if they use a manual-steering rack, with no power-assist, loss of feel will not be a problem. Manual units have good road feel by their very nature.
Old 12-17-09, 09:58 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Things are happening at BMW.
Old 12-17-09, 02:48 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

100 miles doesnt seem like a lot to me, but I jetsetted around today quite a bit and only covered 50 miles so I suppose that it would work.
Old 12-17-09, 03:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds promising, 100 mile range for intended usage and market is fine for starters.
Old 12-17-09, 03:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
BMWs are known for their superlative hydraulic power steering feel (some of them feel so precise you can almost drive the car blindfolded). I just wonder if the electric power-steering pump in this car will be able to maintain that excellent, telepathic feel. Of course, if they use a manual-steering rack, with no power-assist, loss of feel will not be a problem. Manual units have good road feel by their very nature.
To answer your question:

Electric Power Steering (EPS)
in the BMW Z4 Roadster.

The advantage compared to traditional hydraulic systems is that it only needs electricity when the car is actually changing direction. If the car is travelling in a straight line or round a corner at a constant angle, the electric motor is idle and does not draw any power.

Good steering feel can be achieved with electric assist and I expect BMW to keep improving this technology. Experienced Lexus owners also know that improved tire selection (similar to what BMW specs) improves steering feel in systems with electric assist too. One key point for maintaining steering feel is RWD (or not having power going to the wheels that do the steering), therefore the BMWs with best steering feel are RWD configs. Manual steering in the case of the 1-series is undesirable and unnecessary to achieve feel, especially for the intended market.

Last edited by IS-SV; 12-17-09 at 03:59 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-17-09, 04:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

i wish all these companies will finally start selling this electric and hybrid vehicles they PR about.... it will definetly lower the costs for everyone.
Old 12-17-09, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
To answer your question:

Electric Power Steering (EPS)
in the BMW Z4 Roadster.

The advantage compared to traditional hydraulic systems is that it only needs electricity when the car is actually changing direction. If the car is travelling in a straight line or round a corner at a constant angle, the electric motor is idle and does not draw any power.

Good steering feel can be achieved with electric assist and I expect BMW to keep improving this technology. Experienced Lexus owners also know that improved tire selection (similar to what BMW specs) improves steering feel in systems with electric assist too. One key point for maintaining steering feel is RWD (or not having power going to the wheels that do the steering), therefore the BMWs with best steering feel are RWD configs. Manual steering in the case of the 1-series is undesirable and unnecessary to achieve feel, especially for the intended market.

Can't comment on the Z4......it's one of the few BMW's I haven't reviewed lately (in the last few years), so, I'll take your word for it.......I'll assume you've driven one.

As far as power steering goes, I agree with you that you generally get better feel with RWD, and, of course, BMW doesn't do any strictly FWD vehicles that I know of. Torque steer, with high-powered FWD models, can sometimes be a problem....good examples are the 303-HP Impala SS/Grand Prix GNP and some Cadillac Northstars.

But FWD cars can produce good steering feel if the conditions and set-up is right, especially without power-assist. My FWD 1984 Mazda had excellent steering feel....it used a straight rack-and-pinion setup with no power-steering pump at all, and the basic feel was as good as many BMWs, though, of course, with slower response.....manual steering usually has a slower ratio.

Among newer FWD cars with power steering, the Mazda3 and Mazda6 are two of the better ones, though, of course, lacking the feel of my old Mazda non-power unit.
Old 12-17-09, 07:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
i wish all these companies will finally start selling this electric and hybrid vehicles they PR about.... it will definetly lower the costs for everyone.
Unless Nissan and Mitsubishi back out at the last minute, your paitience will soon be rewarded. Both companies plan to introduce all-electric models here in the U.S. next year. I hope, though, that Mitsubishi puts some quality and fit/finish, though, into their new electric car.....I have not been very impressed lately with their conventional products.