Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend - Eight Luxury Sport Sedan Comparison (spoiler)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 07:58 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Regardless of final standing within this comparison, one thing that prevails is the available options of some fine machinery for the consumer. There is no last place finisher amongst these machines.
Old 01-05-10, 09:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80

just look at how ugly RL is compared to the rest. rear isn't bad, but i just can't stand the front.
The RL's parrot-beak grille, granted, won't win any beauty contests, but I don't see where it is any more awkward-looking than the Audi's clearly oversized grille or the CTS's chunky-chop headlights.

The Jag XF, as I see it, except for the slight bulge in the middle of the headlights that looks a little out of place, is clearly the looker of the group. That's the one to get if you want to turn people's heads driving down the street.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-05-10 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 10:00 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
6TH PLACE: LEXUS GS 350
Pass the Hot Sauce, Please
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
2009 Lexus GS 350
Base price $45,875
Price as tested $51,195
0-60 mph 5.6 sec
Quarter mile 14.1 sec @ 99.6 mph

2010 BMW 535i
Base price $51,925
Price as tested $57,675
0-60 mph 5.5 sec
Quarter mile 14.1 sec @ 100.6 mph
Yeah so... I'd rather save $6480 and buy $2.99 hot sauce

Last edited by malujerry; 01-05-10 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 10:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Regardless of final standing within this comparison, one thing that prevails is the available options of some fine machinery for the consumer. There is no last place finisher amongst these machines.
Yep.....and in this class, you pay to play.
Old 01-05-10, 10:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A nice selection of cars here, styling-wise the Jag wins me over.
Old 01-06-10, 01:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

So Lexus is the lightest car there eh? So much for porky Lexus.
Old 01-06-10, 04:14 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The RL's parrot-beak grille, granted, won't win any beauty contests, but I don't see where it is any more awkward-looking than the Audi's clearly oversized grille or the CTS's chunky-chop headlights.

The Jag XF, as I see it, except for the slight bulge in the middle of the headlights that looks a little out of place, is clearly the looker of the group. That's the one to get if you want to turn people's heads driving down the street.

Originally Posted by malujerry
Yeah so... I'd rather save $6480 and buy $2.99 hot sauce
Old 01-06-10, 04:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Yeah,it seems if one FP fails,in time the replacements do too.It's a bad situation that BMW can't fix for 3 years now.I believe there's a flaw in the fuel system somewhere that causes the pump to fail and the fix is too expensive.Ethanol is blamed but other auto manufacturers aren't having problems.
Afterwhile,I didn't feel comfortable taking a longish trip with my 335.A couple of long cranks(FP failing warning),dealer service won't do anything without a code which means a dashlight and I dumped the car for that reason and a couple of others..
Of course reading FP fail stories like yours on the forum day after day gets to one too.
I do love the 550i,though.

there is nothing as expensive as replacing fuel pumps and losing customers. What is happening here is the fact that it takes time for these problems to be reported back to the factory and then as it is engineering issue, it is hard to find cause and fix properly. People believe that you can fix these things instantly, but you can not, as proven here. It is not some computer software issue that can be fixed in few days. When something is designed bad from start, it is very hard to correct later on.
Old 01-06-10, 05:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
It sucks that Lexus is always on the bottom when ranked minus reliability. Thats the bottom line. They are not performance cars....at all. The ISF had to fight tooth and nail to get some street cred coming from Lexus. when I had my G35 it was highly regarded when compared to the German competition. My Lexus gets no love. I have to admit it did make me proud reading an article about the car I owned that went on and on about how well it handles, brakes, performs, etc. Kind of like a person who drives a car like an M3 or an S class Benz . You know you are driving the benchmark in its class
btw, how are your sway bars? I am thinking of importing them... It is true that GS350 is not an sports sedan... it is sporty, but when you drive over 8/10 it falls apart. I heard good things about those sways. Of course, it is part of choice that Lexus made, and I like that choice personally.

You can not expect all these "sports car" magazines to judge cars on anything but sports... hopefully there will be GS350 Sports in the future, and that will definetly help GS in general and with reviews too.
Old 01-06-10, 05:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
here is a reason why everyone say the look of a car is subjective. Almost everyone agree the new Acura grill is ugly, but most people or magazine either dont mind the Audi grill or actually like it, the exterior design is one of the reason why Audi is selling so well.
Old 01-06-10, 09:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
btw, how are your sway bars? I am thinking of importing them... It is true that GS350 is not an sports sedan... it is sporty, but when you drive over 8/10 it falls apart. I heard good things about those sways. Of course, it is part of choice that Lexus made, and I like that choice personally.

You can not expect all these "sports car" magazines to judge cars on anything but sports... hopefully there will be GS350 Sports in the future, and that will definetly help GS in general and with reviews too.
I appreciate the decreased roll that the F sport sway bars provide , BUT I have clunking noise coming from them on cracks in the road. I am not going to take them off but I am pissed at the quality of the parts, and the intake I have from F sport is trash too by the way. I would wait until Lexus ,or whoever the gave the job to design the sway bars, releases a new revised bushing for these sway bars so you dont have to deal with the annoying clunking
Old 01-06-10, 10:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I appreciate the decreased roll that the F sport sway bars provide , BUT I have clunking noise coming from them on cracks in the road. I am not going to take them off but I am pissed at the quality of the parts, and the intake I have from F sport is trash too by the way. I would wait until Lexus ,or whoever the gave the job to design the sway bars, releases a new revised bushing for these sway bars so you dont have to deal with the annoying clunking
thanks for the tip.
Old 01-09-10, 02:59 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The CTS still does not fit in this class. When the first gen debuted, it was in the class of 3-series, C-Class, A4, etc. Then this currently body comes along, grows a bit, and all of a sudden GM jacks up the price and says it's in the same class as a 5-Series, E-Class, and A6. Give me a break. It's still too small to compete and those who are cross-shopping it are keeping it in the original class it started in.
Totally agree.

The CTS is akin to the G37, a bit bigger than the 3 Series, C Class, etc. (more "bang for your buck") - but clearly not in the mid-sized luxury sedan segment.

Reportedly, the next gen CTS will get bigger and join the mid-sized class as Cadillac is planning to launch a smaller entry-level sedan, but that's in the future.
Old 01-09-10, 03:06 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YEH
Totally agree.

The CTS is akin to the G37, a bit bigger than the 3 Series, C Class, etc. (more "bang for your buck") - but clearly not in the mid-sized luxury sedan segment.

Reportedly, the next gen CTS will get bigger and join the mid-sized class as Cadillac is planning to launch a smaller entry-level sedan, but that's in the future.
Again, the CTS is classified by EPA as a mid-sized car, as do all the other cars in this class.
Old 01-09-10, 03:14 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mister Two
Again, the CTS is classified by EPA as a mid-sized car, as do all the other cars in this class.
Yeah, but the EPA also classifies the Sonata and Accord as full-sized sedans, but that doesn't mean they still aren't primarily seen/regarded as mid-sized sedans.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend - Eight Luxury Sport Sedan Comparison (spoiler)