Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 GMC Acadia Denali

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09, 10:54 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trukn1
I'm not really big on GMC products, but for a midsize SUV I would rock this(for a daily or something). Not too bad looking!!
Woah, this is considered as mid-size?

Hmm.......I dunno bout you guys but it looks as big as other MAMMOTH vehicles:

Old 12-20-09, 06:55 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It looks okay, but I don't understand the whole Denali series? A luxury GMC? If I want a luxury crossover give me a RX 350 or ML-Class.

It shouldn't be listed as mid-size it's has almost similar specs to a Yukon exterior length and width wise except that it's a crossover.

Blackraven, now those are huge lol much bigger than the Arcadia. I don't see the point, especially in the GM extended versions of the Escalade, Suburban, and Yukon as they don't have any more interior room than a regular version. At least the Expedition has real space inside their interiors.
Old 12-20-09, 07:41 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Woah, this is considered as mid-size?
Considering the Arcadia (sizewise) falls under the much bigger Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon, and just above the Chevy Equinox/GMC Envoy, then yes I would consider it to be a midsize SUV. Park an Arcadia next to one of them and you will notice the sizing difference.

GMC is running the Denali thing in he hole.
THE FIRST DENALI CROSSOVER EVER
IIRC GM was also touting the GMC ENVOY Denali as the same thing a few years ago. That lineup had many configurations from the standard Envoy, to the Envoy XL, Envoy Denali, and even the ENVOY XUV. Though it was originally built and ended up phasing out the GMC Jimmy/Chevy Blazer; the expanded lineup crossed it over into crossover SUV status as well. The new GMC Terrain is now the replacement for the Envoy, which was discontinued this year.

Last edited by trukn1; 12-20-09 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-20-09, 08:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

just what the world needs, another crossover, built by taxpayer money.
Old 12-20-09, 10:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Just what most people don't really need, another bloated, overweight, giant SUV.
Old 12-20-09, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'll go out somewhat on a limb here (not too far out) and predict that the Acadia Denali will probably take some sales from the new Cadillac SRX, for four reasons. First, it has a more conventional styling/interior than the sharply-angled, chunky SRX. Second, it is significantly larger than the SRX (one of the complaints about the new SRX from Cadillac shoppers is that it is now too small). Third, it (likely) will have a better tow capacity (though I haven't seen the final tow rating).....people often use mid-sized or larger SUV's for towing. Fourth, it appears to be almost as plush inside as a Cadillac, with almost as much equipment.
Old 12-20-09, 04:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Much of the appeal of big SUVs to people who don't really need them has been the safety issue (notwithstanding the fact that some of them are more rollover-prone than lower-center-of-gravity vehicles). Many people believe, rightly or wrongly (and there's evidence on both sides), that having two and a half tons (or more) of steel around them puts them in a big, magic, safety-cocoon. It does to an extent, of course.....if you don't roll over. The laws of physics dictate that all else equal, smaller, lighter vehicles will come out second-best in collisions with larger ones. And large SUVs of course, also have high ground clearance for deep snow or off-roading. So, to get this flexibility and safety, many people just shell out the money for these behemoths and keep emptying their wallets later just to keep them gassed up.
Old 12-20-09, 08:10 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Much of the appeal of big SUVs to people who don't really need them has been the safety issue (notwithstanding the fact that some of them are more rollover-prone than lower-center-of-gravity vehicles). Many people believe, rightly or wrongly (and there's evidence on both sides), that having two and a half tons (or more) of steel around them puts them in a big, magic, safety-cocoon. It does to an extent, of course.....if you don't roll over. The laws of physics dictate that all else equal, smaller, lighter vehicles will come out second-best in collisions with larger ones. And large SUVs of course, also have high ground clearance for deep snow or off-roading. So, to get this flexibility and safety, many people just shell out the money for these behemoths and keep emptying their wallets later just to keep them gassed up.
Agreed and for some people in America, these bigass American mammoth SUVs are the only vehicles that can accommodate obese overweight slobs along with their fat, heavy asses

The "Supersize me" principle is in-effect
Old 12-21-09, 07:03 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This Denali trim line isn't to to bad.
Old 12-21-09, 07:09 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusChris
It looks okay, but I don't understand the whole Denali series? A luxury GMC? If I want a luxury crossover give me a RX 350 or ML-Class.
The mid west will tell you to take your RX, ML and shove it. The last time I visited there I saw more GM product on the road than I ever have in my life.
Old 12-21-09, 08:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Agreed and for some people in America, these bigass American mammoth SUVs are the only vehicles that can accommodate obese overweight slobs along with their fat, heavy asses

C'mon, it's not THAT bad!
Old 12-21-09, 09:00 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
C'mon, it's not THAT bad!
Agreed, but if your observations are in the parking lot of McDonalds, then........................
Old 12-21-09, 09:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think it's just a question of being overweight...lots of vehicles can handle that. But full-sized SUV's usually have very high rooflines to accomodate tall people.......one of the reasons why they are popular with basketball guys who are up to 7 feet tall.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-21-09 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-21-09, 09:50 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Wow talk about stereo types, assuming you do drive a 2001 Lexus let me start to think of all the stereo types I could think of there, and if your location is right have you ever been to the states and if so how long?

To all of those wanting an RX or an ML if it fits your needs and you like how it looks then go big, they are nice rides! We see more RX’s in our county then another other luxury brand in that class and for most of those owners that is exactly what they need \ want.

For many of us that are born 6ft+ and even some of those naturally built like football players a small suv or even car for that matter does not feel very comfortable. In my wifes Sante Fe my head hits the roof unless I almost lay down.

Then you have people that pull large boats, trailers, recreational vehicles and everything that goes with it, you need a big suv or a truck.

And as I always say what is a big suv? Take my truck and put a cap on it and its no smaller then an SUV.

Cram 4 guys in a RX and try to pull a 4 place snowmobile trailer with gear, good luck! If you do not need to pull all that then an RX is pefect for some.

People can hate on big vehicles all they want but many are purpose built.
Old 12-21-09, 09:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed, but if your observations are in the parking lot of McDonalds, then........................
OK, now you've made me hungry for a Big 'N Tasty!!

Quick Reply: 2011 GMC Acadia Denali