Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 GMC Acadia Denali

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 09:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
OK, now you've made me hungry for a Big 'N Tasty!!
A little off-topic, maybe, but don't get in the habit of eating that kind of stuff.....they are classic artery-cloggers.
Old 12-21-09, 10:54 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice effort on the part of GMC. I drove Suburbans for years and it looks like the Denali has addressed all my complaints. I went to Lexus to escape the "truckishness" of the Suburban, and since GM has lopped about a foot out of the frame, making it easy to park and handle, eliminated all but a vestige of the third row + cargo, installed car-like brakes, transmissions, and AWD systems, all while pushing real luxury content.

I paid $17,550 for my first Suburban - back then a Sedan DeVille was about $300 less. What I got was a 4WD 3/4-ton longbed pickup - with a roof. It was relatively smooth on the highway, but was dramatically underpowered - the smog-strangled small block produced 180 hp - same as in the Corvette - another tragic story. The Suburban could peg it's 85 mph speedometer - barely - and fortunately so. At anything over 70 it was a handful. Solid axles, buggy springs, and undersized shocks were fine in straight-line service . . . just don't attempt anything like a decreasing radius turn. And brakes? What brakes? The big pedal was attached to the sound system that made more irritating howling noises the harder you pushed it, but it didn't have any real effect on your velocity.

For the past six or seven years, GM has been investing some real engineering into its SUV's not all have been successful, but you can't expect a big, roomy, family hauler that can go just about anywhere towing an enormous load to be an apex-shooter. You just have to adjust your priorities. The new Denali looks like a contender - maybe not for the country-club set, or the effete snobs in the stringback racing gloves, but for those of us whose vehicles have to work for a living, it's a nice start!
Old 12-22-09, 09:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Milla...
This Denali trim line isn't to to bad.
I like this vehicle as well.

Old 12-23-09, 02:21 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you need to do is to look up on what mmarshall posted up.

All bulk, no substance. . I've seen the episode on Top Gear where the Land Rover won over as it reached the top (while the Escalade was simply struggling). Yup all size but that's about it.

So yeah:
Yup for those who crave on excess......but if that's how they want it, then fine. Just remember that if ever there is a fuel crisis/shortage in America, then you know which vehicles to blame.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-23-09 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Do not quote members and misrepresent their commentary please
Old 12-23-09, 04:30 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clearly you have never been to the states and the second vehicle you posted has nothing to even do with the discussion.

Pull my snowmobile trailer with the range rover over 400 miles and see how much fun that short wheelbase is. I am sure you have towed long, heavy trailers before right?

It’s not a matter of excess, many of the large SUV’s serve a purpose for a many. In your country, if that is where you really are, it is a different life style so save your bashing for somewhere else.
Old 12-23-09, 05:00 AM
PlatLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just what the world needs, another crossover, built by taxpayer money.
haha true man. we the taxpayers paid for everything at gm they are a rotten tomato needs to be thrown away!! who cares if some dumb union workers loose their jobs, they asked for it!

gm I will never buy. I only buy asian cars, real working cars lol.