Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cop (335i owner) owns teen 350z driver

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 09:32 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are people wondering how a cop can afford 335i, is that relevant to the story?
Old 12-21-09, 09:36 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LB Lex
Why are people wondering how a cop can afford 335i, is that relevant to the story?
LOL. that's what i thought when i saw some of these posts..
Old 12-21-09, 10:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LB Lex
I think it IS relevant, to some extent. If the kid in that 350Z would have known (or have guessed) that an off-duty cop COULD have a 335i as a personal daily driver, he would probably have kept his big mouth shut.
Old 12-22-09, 03:13 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think it IS relevant, to some extent. If the kid in that 350Z would have known (or have guessed) that an off-duty cop COULD have a 335i as a personal daily driver, he would probably have kept his big mouth shut.
I think it is irrelevant. I doubt the kid in the 350z cared about the car he was harassing - it could have been a 335 or a Civic Si. No one considers that there might be a cop in a normal vehicle - that's why speeders slow down only when they see a police car.

This was a perfect story, and I support the officer's actions 100%. It is embarrassing that they had to close the original thread because of backlash.
Old 12-22-09, 04:20 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If so, then cops make way too much money. As a taxpayer, I feel they should be getting minimum wage with no benefits.
Old 12-22-09, 07:23 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It was an excellent story with a great outcome. As someone had stated in the thread, this was one of those cases where the police were in the right place at the right time.

As to traffic cops, some are a bit overzealous with their duties, but I think this guy summed it up well by embracing the spirit of the law, keeping things within reason. The kid definitely deserved what he received, and will forever remember this christmas season.

Originally Posted by Och
If so, then cops make way too much money. As a taxpayer, I feel they should be getting minimum wage with no benefits.
This here just seems like bait...
Old 12-22-09, 07:51 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Great story.

So, how is it unacceptable that an officer can own a 335, but no one questions how an 18 year old kid can have a 350z? At least it's a safe bet the cop's mom and dad didn't buy the car for him.

BTW - LEO salaries can be as low as $25k and as high as $100k. All depends on location, seniority, if they're union, overtime, or a whole host of other things. But ask yourself this: how much money would it take for YOU to face a loaded meth-head with an AK in a dark house at 3 a.m.?
Old 12-22-09, 08:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000LEX
indeed, this story made my day ;-)
Old 12-22-09, 08:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
i dont get the point... if kid knew it was a cop, it would harass some other law abiding citizen who could do nothing about it? How is that better?
Old 12-22-09, 08:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont get the point... if kid knew it was a cop, it would harass some other law abiding citizen who could do nothing about it? How is that better?
I didn't say it was necessarily better.....only relevant to the story (and thread topic) at hand. And, if he had challenged another 335 owner who was not a cop, that person just may have been dumb enough to race him.
Old 12-22-09, 10:16 AM
juniorEXE
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jaseman
So, how is it unacceptable that an officer can own a 335, but no one questions how an 18 year old kid can have a 350z? At least it's a safe bet the cop's mom and dad didn't buy the car for him.
The real ownage is of the father since he will most likely be taking the brunt of the fines and fees. you dont give an 18yo kid a 300hp sports car. might as well buy him a hayabusa too!
Old 12-22-09, 10:27 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by juniorEXE
The real ownage is of the father since he will most likely be taking the brunt of the fines and fees. you dont give an 18yo kid a 300hp sports car. might as well buy him a hayabusa too!
Was kinda my point. But I think you figured that out.

(and I've seen way too many kids riding Busa's as well )
Old 12-22-09, 10:33 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
It is because there is a lack of them so they get so much overtime and the worse the location the higher the hazard pay is. Garage workers also make low six figures.
Old 12-24-09, 02:30 PM
PlatLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Och

oh wow, one of the dumbest things i've ever read online

how about you go be a cop when you grow up kid?? you want us to think ur old enough to pay taxes, after those crazy words???:/

you know his situation?

you know he didn't marry a rich woman, saved up money, leased a 335i?
Old 01-04-10, 10:36 PM
clk430
Driver School Candidate

honestly I think the cop new he would have gotten his *** spanked and was embarrassed so he had to flash his badge so he could feel like god and get an erection. i wish i pulled up next to him in the CLK even if he called to his friend. i already know i can out run a cruiser. why did you have to put on your bullet proof vest? oh to feed your ego. sorry forgot cops are egotistical bastards for a second.

Quick Reply: Cop (335i owner) owns teen 350z driver