Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

After Effect of Driving beside a salt truck Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-09, 10:13 PM
shoehead
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Effect of Driving beside a salt truck Help

So I was heading home. It was night, on the highway there was a truck that was holding up traffic which everyone was going around. So I followed. Next thing I know I am being blasted with some liquid. I thought nothing of it, just a little pissed because I had just washed my car the day before.
I come home to find this.

Keep in mind this was a shining glossy black car before this happened.

Any suggestions on how to get it off?
Any precautions i should take?
Thanks
Old 12-17-09, 10:55 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

lol holy crap! that sucks! i dont know how, but i would assume getting it off as quick as possible would be the best idea
Old 12-17-09, 11:06 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So,, the big YELLOW truck with the BRIGHT yellow strobe lights, riding slow was no indication to you that it might be a salt truck/snow plow preppng the roads ahead? Not giving you a hard time, I live in MD as well (Owings Mills) so I know what you encountered. The liquid you were blasted with is a liquified salt/ chemical solution (not sure of what it is entirely comprised of). ALOT of states are using this stuff to prep their roads b4 a storm hits b/c it adheres to the roadway and does not freeze up; nor does the road traffic kick the stuff off the roads (unlike the salt crystals). It also forms a salty barrier on the road, so that snow/ice does not have a chance to freeze up on the roadway. As a trucker, I see this in just about EVERY state I travel in, that is prone to snow storms. What you are seeing is the salty residue, on your car, from the solution. Remember before, when they would lay down the salt/sand crystals on the road and that stuff would get wet and leave that white, ashy residue; pretty much the same stuff just in liquid form. This stuff will not harm the finish of your car, as it is now, however just as you would do with the normal wintertime spray off, this must be done as well. Just wash it off, as you normally would wash your car and you will be fine. For the record,, my car(in my sig) is also shiny, glossy, black and I have never had any adverse effects with this stuff hitting the car. Normal wash will take care of it.
Old 12-18-09, 01:12 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why don't you try WASHING THE CAR ASAP....
Old 12-18-09, 01:36 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seeing that gunk in those pictures make me want to stick my finger through the computer screen and write "WASH ME" across a panel or window.

And yes, it's a good idea to get this stuff off ASAP.
Old 12-18-09, 02:35 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ouch im sorry man, im so happy i dont live where it snows, and only go visit
Old 12-18-09, 02:55 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW... thats like... WOW
Old 12-18-09, 04:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't use automatic carwashes but would in that case ASAP.
Old 12-18-09, 04:29 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It should wash right off, I had the same thing happen to my parents black Acura a few years back, took it to a carwash, it all came right off with no damage to the paint.
Old 12-18-09, 04:35 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I don't use automatic carwashes but would in that case ASAP.
^^^^^1 , find yourself a brushless car wash ASAP, that stuff on black finishes is deadly !! Make sure you get some water to the under carriage also, good luck !
Old 12-18-09, 06:27 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish MA would use the liquid stuff instead of the crystals. I was driving on a local road with 1 lane each direction and a snow plow/salt truck was driving the other direction. When we passed eachother I got salt thrown all over the driver's side of my car. I was not happy... because I couldn't do anything to avoid it.
Old 12-18-09, 06:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think that stuff is nothing more than a brine solution, it should not harm the paint finish, but I would have wash it off instead of taking pictures 1st
Old 12-18-09, 09:53 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Koma,,, your atate already uses this liquid solution, but currently, they seem to only be using it on the MAJOR highways and interstate.

G-man,, Brine solution is exactly what that stuff is; I couldn't remember just EXACTLY what the stuff was called. Pretty much just a liquified version of salt.

As others has said, as well as myself, yeah it looks nasty for what it is, but a quick wash as well as an undercarriage wash will take this stuff right off. Short term, leaving this stuff on will not harm the car,,long term (not washing the car for a month or two and leaving that stuff on, may cause some damage to the clearcoating of your paint.

Guys, keep in mind that this liquid solution is used as a PRE-TREATMENT to the roadways and it has to have some time to dry to be effective. It is not an automatic ice melter and will not melt stuff on contact. The good old salt/sand mixtures will still be used during snow removal periods as this stuff provides traction in addition to melting capability. Pretty much the big advantage of the liquid is that states dont have to use AS MUCH of the salt/sand mix on the roads to clear the streets and it is cost effective since they can reduce the amount of salt they have to purchase for road clearance. Plus with less salt on the roads, the number of resutling potholes DRAMATICALLY reduces thus making road crews hapy for not having to repair them, as well as me happy in not having to replace wheels/suspension components after having hit one of them.

Last edited by trukn1; 12-18-09 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-18-09, 06:21 PM
shoehead
Driver

I was going to sleep but after some suggestions decided to wash my car while freezing my fingers off. The stuff came off easily.
Apparently the stuf was inedeed salt brine solution.
"Maryland and Washington crews were prepping roads by spraying salt brine solution to prevent snow and ice from sticking."
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-18-09, 06:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

GOD I am so happy it doesn't snow where I live. It must be a real pain in the *** to keep a clean car

Quick Reply: After Effect of Driving beside a salt truck Help