Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saab is down :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV

The sooner you kill this bleeder the better.
It also makes you wonder if killing off Saab is killing off a real company, any more, to start with. Most of the products they have recently sold in the American market have been either redone Subarus, GM SUVs, or spinoffs of GM world-platform designs.

Isuzu, before they left the American market, ended up being the same way here.....selling nothing but rebadged/decontented GM TrailBlazers and Colorado/Canyon pickups; both of which were rather unimpressive designs. In fact, IMO, I'd go so far as to call the Colorado/Canyon a borderline piece of junk....I was very unimpressed with it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-19-09 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-19-09, 08:13 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saab will not be missed by anyone other than current Saab owners. I agree with 1SICKLEX about Mitsubishi. They don't have anything new coming out any time soon, at least that's what I heard from an insider.
Old 12-19-09, 08:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
Saab will not be missed by anyone other than current Saab owners. I agree with 1SICKLEX about Mitsubishi. They don't have anything new coming out any time soon, at least that's what I heard from an insider.
Unless they back out at the last minute, Mitsubishi (along with Nissan) is scheduled to introduce a production all-electric car here in the U.S. next year.
Old 12-20-09, 11:12 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last chance.
Old 12-20-09, 12:53 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

There go my aspirations to own a Saab.
Old 12-20-09, 01:36 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, but good riddance.

Saab has been one of the most consistently ugly and problematic cars out there.

Why would anyone ever want one.
Old 12-20-09, 01:50 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Sorry, but good riddance.

Saab has been one of the most consistently ugly and problematic cars out there.

Why would anyone ever want one.
Amen brother.
Old 12-20-09, 03:20 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lex
who cares If they were any good they would be alive

oh and btw, their interiors were never any good.

Who cares? A true auto enthusiast would be heartbroken right now. There is nothing rejoicing about a company like Saab going down in flames. Nothing.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
When you spend close to 40K for a car, as top-line Saabs cost (at the time), you expect at least an in-line or V6 as an option.

Turbocharged 4-cylinder-engines was a unique feature and dare I say "selling point" of Saab's.

If people spending upwards of $ 40,000 really expect a V6 in their vehicle I wonder why Lotus or Audi even bother sell 4-cylinder engines in the US.
Old 12-20-09, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DustinV
Who cares? A true auto enthusiast would be heartbroken right now. There is nothing rejoicing about a company like Saab going down in flames. Nothing.
I generally agree. As I see it, the more competition and choices you have in the auto marketplace, the better. Of course, some companies simply cannot afford to stay in buisness any longer unless they get a cash infusion or get bought by someone else. That's just a sad and unpleasant fact of the cutthroat auto buisness today.

Turbocharged 4-cylinder-engines was a unique feature and dare I say "selling point" of Saab's.

If people spending upwards of $ 40,000 really expect a V6 in their vehicle I wonder why Lotus or Audi even bother sell 4-cylinder engines in the US.
While there might be an exception or two, most Lotus vehicles are simply too small for a V6 to fit in, although the old, tiny 1.8L Mazda V6 of the early 1990's (used in the small MX-3 coupe) might fit...but that engine had no torque.

True, Audi has the 2.0T four, but that, admittedly, is a superb power plant (especially when paired with the equally superb DSG/S-Tronic gearbox), and, driving it, you wouldn't know it from a good V6.
Old 12-20-09, 04:12 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I thought about getting a 9000 instead of my Legacy, but I couldnt give up the AWD. Their 2.3L turbo is a tank.
Old 12-20-09, 04:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
I pretty much agree with you, except the true Saab has been dead for almost a decade now. While I was never a Saab fan, I could see some enthusiasts missing the Saab of old days. But ever since GM took them over, they have produced nothing but lame rebadges. Not too many people are going to care about them biting the dust.
Old 12-20-09, 05:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I thought about getting a 9000 instead of my Legacy, but I couldnt give up the AWD. Their 2.3L turbo is a tank.
Now in hindsight, you obviously made the best choice.
Old 12-20-09, 05:48 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Now in hindsight, you obviously made the best choice.
With 15 inches of snow on the ground right now, yes I did. Car plowed through it like a champ.
Old 12-21-09, 10:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

With 15 inches of snow on the ground right now, yes I did. Car plowed through it like a champ.
Even with the Legacy's lower ground clearance? That's one of the Outback's advantages....a couple more inches of clearance underneath. Of course, with the kind of snow we got here Saturday, neither one probably makes much difference, especially after the roads are plowed.
Old 12-21-09, 10:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Saab, today, offers XWD, their term for AWD, even apart from the discontinued 9-2X, a rebadged Subaru Impreza, and the 9-7X, a redone Chevy TrailBlazer. It is available on some versions of the Saab 9-3.

http://www.saabusa.com/saabjsp/all-w..._XWD_learnmore

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-21-09 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Saab is down :(