Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saab is down :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 01:05 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw this pic on Autoblog. That's the DEFINITION of slab sided

Old 12-22-09, 03:40 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
........what
As someone posted, the Q45 was a sales disaster. Such a pity.
Old 12-22-09, 06:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I called this in the early 2000s here...next is Mitsubishi....
yup I have read several times that Mitsubishi is thinking of leaving the US. They may have sell to Renault to stay afloat. I hope we dont lose the EVO but there is nothing in their line up that I would rate as higher than any other competitor. The EVO is an amazing machine but for 41k for the MR many of us would just get a G37 sedan . I will miss them if they go
Old 12-23-09, 09:24 AM
LexFather

........what
OMG I am laughing so hard right now It was not one of the best cars and it should have been sold as a Saab

Old 12-23-09, 09:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

OMG I am laughing so hard right now It was not one of the best cars and it should have been sold as a Saab
If you're talking about the Q45, Mike, it wouldn't have worked as a Saab. Saab never, to my knowledge, never sold any RWD products....even with the rebadged GM products.

As far as it not being one of the best cars, the Q45's main problem was not being a bad product, or even incompetent. Unlike the vastly more successful LS400/430/460, Infiniti just NEVER got the Q's marketing and purpose right. It started out, in the 1Gen model, as a high-powered (for the era) semi-sport sedan with firm ride/handling and sport-oriented trim inside. Then, in response to complaints that the road manners were too firm and the interior too cold, they used a smaller 4.1L V8 in the 2Gen model, softened the suspension, and added a lot more wood trim. Then, in response to complaints that the 2Gen model was too much of a Buick, they tried to do a compromise on the 3Gen model that satisfied almost nobody.......so the car just sat in showrooms and went nowhere (when I first reviewed the G35 in 2002, they offered me a brand-new Q45, on the showroom floor, for only 38K...barely more than the much smaller G35). The Lexus LS, in contrast, was offered from the start as a no-nonsense straight-luxury sedan, didn't veer much from that, and quickly gathered a wide following.
Old 12-23-09, 09:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you're talking about the Q45, Mike, it wouldn't have worked as a Saab. Saab never, to my knowledge, never sold any RWD products....even with the rebadged GM products.

As far as it not being one of the best cars, the Q45's main problem was not being a bad product, or even incompetent. Unlike the vastly more successful LS400/430/460, Infiniti just NEVER got the Q's marketing and purpose right. It started out, in the 1Gen model, as a high-powered (for the era) semi-sport sedan with firm ride/handling and sport-oriented trim inside. Then, in response to complaints that the road manners were too firm and the interior too cold, they used a smaller 4.1L V8 in the 2Gen model, softened the suspension, and added a lot more wood trim. Then, in response to complaints that the 2Gen model was too much of a Buick, they tried to do a compromise on the 3Gen model that satisfied almost nobody.......so the car just sat in showrooms and went nowhere (when I first reviewed the G35 in 2002, they offered me a brand-new Q45, on the showroom floor, for only 38K...barely more than the much smaller G35). The Lexus LS, in contrast, was offered from the start as a no-nonsense straight-luxury sedan, didn't veer much from that, and quickly gathered a wide following.
I was joking. Both are done, discontinued, finished and no one really cares for new ones. It is what it is.

We've had Q45 conversations in the past and I am not going to rehash why it failed here but for the most part I agree with you.

Old 12-23-09, 12:57 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

I was joking. Both are done, discontinued, finished and no one really cares for new ones. It is what it is.

We've had Q45 conversations in the past and I am not going to rehash why it failed here but for the most part I agree with you.

Infiniti dealers from all around the world are demanding a new Q. They have already been shown a concept of what the next generation would look like. Nissan is waiting to see how the economy shapes up before they jump the gun. So while the Q45 is discontinued at the moment (the Cima is still in production), I don't think it's apt to say "no one really cares for new ones."

I learned how to drive in my Dad's Q45 (and proceeded to wreck it my second time out ). Love the car, and can't wait to see a new one with Infiniti's latest design language (and given how beautiful the new M's interior, I'm expecting perfection from a future Q's)

As for Saab, hopefully the Spyker deal goes through.
Old 12-23-09, 01:54 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FinalBurst

Infiniti dealers from all around the world are demanding a new Q. They have already been shown a concept of what the next generation would look like. Nissan is waiting to see how the economy shapes up before they jump the gun. So while the Q45 is discontinued at the moment (the Cima is still in production), I don't think it's apt to say "no one really cares for new ones."

I learned how to drive in my Dad's Q45 (and proceeded to wreck it my second time out ). Love the car, and can't wait to see a new one with Infiniti's latest design language (and given how beautiful the new M's interior, I'm expecting perfection from a future Q's)

I have a hard time believing that Infiniti dealers are demanding a new Q when they can barely give away FXs, EXs, and Ms. Maybe so that they can have a nice demo, but surely not because they see a chance to make fat cash off such a car.

As an Infiniti fan I am sure that you already know this, but when the only core product that the company has is an entry level sedan there isn't much of a business case for a flagship sedan costing $60K+. Infiniti has no brand image to sell something like a new Q. Sales of the M have been weak, but steady. FX and EX are a disaster. If there is no supporting bottom-end product then there is no rationale or justification for something like a flagship. While Infiniti is a luxury brand, a new Q would probably see the same fate as every other Q before it- good car, no brand image, weak sales- Think "Phaeton" here.

Once Infiniti can come up with a generation of M that is really a solid seller, or a competitive entry level CUV, or a decent selling midsize SUV, then maybe there is a case for the Q. Until then, there isn't.

Back to Saab.....
Old 12-23-09, 07:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FinalBurst

Yes, they have asked for it but more than anything, the dealers have asked for a SUV to battle the RX head on as the EX/FX are selling far below sales expectations. To my knowledge no concept has been shown at all. The bottom line is Ghosn hasn't gotten any business model for it where it will be profitable and if it won't turn a profit, HE WILL NOT BUILD IT.

Sorry but no one cares. The LS is even more of a powerhouse than before, the S-class continues to be a leader, the new 7 is out, the new A8 is here and the new XJ seems to be a beast. No one is asking, caring, wanting a Q45 to come back except a few Nissan heads living in the past. I don't understand how anyone can say there is a demand for a discontinued product that sold awfully for 16/17 years.

Their best bet is to somehow build a new Q (they better rename it) on existing architecture so it can somehow make a profit selling 100-200 cars a month in their biggest market, here.

How does this relate to Saab? Well no one cares about Saab either except a few loyal buyers who like Acura fans, got to see unicorn after unicorn and hear lie after lie about things that will never happen.

Both Saab and the Q45 are examples of how not to build/sell your brand/car.

Old 12-24-09, 05:35 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

How does this relate to Saab? Well no one cares about Saab either except a few loyal buyers who, like Acura fans, got to see unicorn after unicorn and hear lie after lie about things that will never happen.
That pretty much sums it up
Old 12-24-09, 12:04 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

Yes, they have asked for it but more than anything, the dealers have asked for a SUV to battle the RX head on as the EX/FX are selling far below sales expectations. To my knowledge no concept has been shown at all. The bottom line is Ghosn hasn't gotten any business model for it where it will be profitable and if it won't turn a profit, HE WILL NOT BUILD IT.
Originally Posted by Autoblog
Infiniti dealers were evidently shown a concept in Japan earlier this year, assumed to be the next Q, which was essentially a four-door version of the Essence concept that debuted at the Geneva Motor Show. At this point, its future is uncertain.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/18/d...iti-qs-future/

Infiniti dealers have also been asking for another entry level vehicle, as well another luxury crossover that would not be a rival to the RX, as it was destined to be a seven seater.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6481999/fu...-up/index.html

The economic downturn has shelved the plans for these three vehicles, but it's foolish to say that Infiniti, who has recently launched in European markets, is dead set against having a flagship sedan to rival the Germans.
Old 01-25-10, 07:28 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like Saab may be getting (another) new lease on life:

http://www.autospies.com/news/Report...ad-Saab-51369/

Hopefully this works out for both companies.
Old 01-25-10, 09:23 AM
LexFather

Stupid. So Saab will live to die in 3 years. Look they make nice cars, no one is hating Saab. They are not a viable car company. They sold 4,000 units total last year. Lexus sells that in 10 days.

In 2008 they sold 21,000 cars. Lexus sells that in a month.

Unless they completely change their strategy, they are dead.

Old 01-25-10, 09:51 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

It's sad to see the way that GM let Saab die. The brand had potential but GM never invested in it or took them seriously, so here we are with the present day mess.

A new 9-5 like...oh...5 years ago would have been a good idea. Something other than Subaru and Chevrolet rebadges would have been nice too.
Old 01-25-10, 10:07 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like Saab may be getting (another) new lease on life:

http://www.autospies.com/news/Report...ad-Saab-51369/

Hopefully this works out for both companies.
good info, thanks.....[I hate that site tho, so many haters and fighting]

Quick Reply: Saab is down :(